Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

2014nyr

Jun 14, 2014
Glad this team didn't give him away for a rental at the deadline.

drury might as well have included himself in any deal he made shipping out kakko, because it would have put to rest any questions about his ability as a gm here. i cannot believe people actually wanted to move kakko at the deadline. i mean i guess i can, stupid always exists...but the amount of people that supported it was stunning. i can't even be mad about it...i'm just disappointed.

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
Whats his contract going to look like? Hes 2 years away from ufa so obviously youd look to buy out some ufa years. However, with the production being on the lower side, cap hit cant be that high.

For kakko its probably in his personal best interest to sign a 1 year deal and then get to July 2025 and try to get something long term done or go to arbitration and hit ufa in july 2026.

For the rangers youd probably ideally want something like 4X4 signed this offseason.

I think because of the above, theres a real chance hes moved around the draft

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Whats his contract going to look like? Hes 2 years away from ufa so obviously youd look to buy out some ufa years. However, with the production being on the lower side, cap hit cant be that high.

For kakko its probably in his personal best interest to sign a 1 year deal and then get to July 2025 and try to get something long term done or go to arbitration and hit ufa in july 2026.

For the rangers youd probably ideally want something like 4X4 signed this offseason.

I think because of the above, theres a real chance hes moved around the draft

I was thinking 4x4 myself.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If I was Kappo I would ask for a 1 year prove it deal and then go long term next year. this year has been an oddity for him and I doubt he wants to take a longer term contract after that. If he would take a 4 year deal, that's fantastic, I sign him to that all day

That's fair, too. Take a lower-end prove it 1 year contract and see if the rangers do like a 5x5 the year after.

Reactions: leetch99

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
If I was Kappo I would ask for a 1 year prove it deal and then go long term next year. this year has been an oddity for him and I doubt he wants to take a longer term contract after that. If he would take a 4 year deal, that's fantastic, I sign him to that all day
Problem is, rangers arent gonna wanna go 1 year. Why? It effectively gets kakko to ufa. Because kakko come July 2025 would have the rangers by the balls negotiations wise. If he cant get his term and number then he just forces it to arb where he signs a 1 year deal and hits ufa at age 25 and cashes in with the highest bidder

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Problem is, rangers arent gonna wanna go 1 year. Why? It effectively gets kakko to ufa. Because kakko come July 2025 would have the rangers by the balls negotiations wise. If he cant get his term and number then he just forces it to arb where he signs a 1 year deal and hits ufa at age 25 and cashes in with the highest bidder

He COULD do that but the team knows the player and the agent. Yes, Kakko would have the hammer but if the conversation is had that it's in everyone's best interest to take the 1 year deal and understand that a year, or 6 months from then, they would circle back then you may take them at their word.

These negotiations aren't what we all think of when negotiating something in our personal lives. The player and the agent are part of a small community of people. Sometimes it's "lets work together for the best possible outcome" rather than "f*** you, I want an extra $0.50 and I'm going to bend you over a barrel"

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Yea the whole "Take a player to FA" thing is nonsense. No difference between a 1 year deal and a 2 year deal if he doesn't want to sign long term.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
He can fill the void Jesper Fast left on the roster. It will never be #2 overall pick production, but the overall value of the player is something I can happily live with.

Honestly, and I know this will ruffle some feathers around here, but as he ages, I don't see why he couldn't have a Kreider-like effect on his line with his possession numbers and ability to make small plays that lead to offense for others. I don't foresee him being a net front guy but he does other things really well. That may mean that he hovers around 50-60 points a year but has massive impacts other than the scoreseheet.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Honestly, and I know this will ruffle some feathers around here, but as he ages, I don't see why he couldn't have a Kreider-like effect on his line with his possession numbers and ability to make small plays that lead to offense for others. I don't foresee him being a net front guy but he does other things really well. That may mean that he hovers around 50-60 points a year but has massive impacts other than the scoreseheet.

I agree and also see many aspects of Kreider in Cuylle. 20 is much fast but Cuylle’s goal last night was vintage young Kreider with the snipe.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
It makes me very happy to see Kakko playing with confidence. I dont expect him to ever be a top line player but he can cement himself here for a long time with a big playoff.

25-25-50 elite defense coming up if he can stay healthy and on a stable functional top 6 line.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
For the right price, he's a guy in the middle 6 that cup teams need.

100%. We can all be disappointed he looks like an extreme long shot to live up to what we hoped for on draft day.

But the player he is today is still a great piece for the middle 6 on a Cup contending roster. If they can lock him up on a multi year deal that would be fantastic IMO.

Will he want (and push for) a change of scenery though? I could see it.

If they move him for a young NHLer with term I won’t get out the pitchforks, even if it’s not how I want Kakko’s NYR story to go.

Trading him for Frank Vatrano however would have made me (more) unhinged.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
100%. We can all be disappointed he looks like an extreme long shot to live up to what we hoped for on draft day.

But the player he is today is still a great piece for the middle 6 on a Cup contending roster. If they can lock him up on a multi year deal that would be fantastic IMO.

Will he want (and push for) a change of scenery though? I could see it.

If they move him for a young NHLer with term I won’t get out the pitchforks, even if it’s not how I want Kakko’s NYR story to go.

Trading him for Frank Vatrano however would have made me (more) unhinged.
Kakko seems like the type that would actually NOT like to jump teams. Seems like he settled in and would not be looking forward to having to “make new friends” if you know what I mean. Personality wise.

Reactions: mas0764 and CLW

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
25-25-50 elite defense coming up if he can stay healthy and on a stable functional top 6 line.
This is how I see him…..
As a bigger/slower version of Silfverberg….
25-25 45- 50pts should be his wheelhouse with a few years close/hitting 60 pts..

I like many others think he should be integrated to the PK, if for nothing else, to get him more minutes on the ice

LaffyTaffy13

May 10, 2022
He COULD do that but the team knows the player and the agent. Yes, Kakko would have the hammer but if the conversation is had that it's in everyone's best interest to take the 1 year deal and understand that a year, or 6 months from then, they would circle back then you may take them at their word.

These negotiations aren't what we all think of when negotiating something in our personal lives. The player and the agent are part of a small community of people. Sometimes it's "lets work together for the best possible outcome" rather than "f*** you, I want an extra $0.50 and I'm going to bend you over a barrel"
Youd be surprised. Im friends with a couple guys who are currently in the league and it can be pretty cut throat

Reactions: klingsor

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Since his return - 32 Games:

9G, 4A, 13P +6 49 SOG

Thats a 23G, 10A, 33P over 82

Last 11:

4G, 1A, 5P +3 16 SOG

Not bad for averaging 12-13 min a night, especially the goal total.

But he is what he is at this point. Does he have more to give, I think so. We've seen flashes but not as much puck dominance as we've seen in the past. It hasnt been bad, last night was very good, but he hasnt been as consistently noticeable as he has been at points in the past. He has been shooting the puck more, even if its not in prime areas and thats a good habit. But we've also seen him get to those areas, a little more. He definitely misses Chytil imo (the whole team does).

He's a solid 3rd line winger who plays responsibly on both sides of the puck. He can give this team a huge shot in the arm in the playoffs if he continues to pop some goals in.

If he was what we thought he would be at this point, boy would this team be dangerous.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad