Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I would not like to see more Goodrow-MacKinnon like last night. Scoring more goals than the other team is the only thing that matters.
You put Ziba and Kreider against MacKinnon, you are still going to get caved in.

The amount of scoring matters as well. If you score 10 5v5 goals during the season and let in 2, that's good 4th line numbers. Not 1st line numbers, no matter what the GF/GA% tells you.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Zibanejad and Kreider don’t play chumps.
I don't care if they play against Gandalf the Gray and Dumbledore, who would probably be pretty good wizards at defence.

Score some f***ing goals. It's the number of goals scored that I care about when talking about our supposed 1st line. Who gives a f*** if they don't leak goals, the last Im checked, you can't win a hockey game without scoring a goal either. Zibanejad and Kreider need to score, that's their job.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I don't care if they play against Gandalf the Gray and Dumbledore, who would probably be pretty good wizards at defence.

Score some f***ing goals. It's the number of goals scored that I care about when talking about our supposed 1st line. Who gives a f*** if they don't leak goals, the last Im checked, you can't win a hockey game without scoring a goal either. Zibanejad and Kreider need to score, that's their job.

Why do you think there is a difference if a line is +1 G/60 by scoring 4 goals/60 and allowing 3 goals/60 versus if they are +1 G/60 by scoring 2 goals/60 and allowing 1 goal/60, It is the exact same result. Does the second scenario not look good enough on the ice?

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Why do you think there is a difference if a line is +1 G/60 by scoring 4 goals/60 and allowing 3 goals/60 versus if they are +1 G/60 by scoring 2 goals/60 and allowing 1 goal/60, It is the exact same result. Does the second scenario not look good enough on the ice?
That sounds very nice in theory, but it would have to work out through all of your 4 lines.

With a good team, you should en up above 50% regardless. But I need some goals from that line man. If you are saying them being positive with GF/GA numbers is good enough, that's basically a 4th line for you.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019

Last I checked, we were winning a ton of hockey games.

Reactions: HolyHagelin

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I could easily ask why are we paying them 16million then (for just 2/3 of their line) when we could pay a 3rd line 8 or 9 in total for the same overall result? They are paid to score more goals.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Kakko should be getting more ice time. That line was very impactful against Colorado and has been putting up very solid numbers overall.

The Kakko-Wennberg-Brodz line is pretty productive. With Cuylle it's been much better at limiting chances. Give Laviolette some flexibility in close games whether winning or losing.

I can understand why based on Wennberg being away and coming back on a quick turn after his kid was born. Hopefully today that line gets a good run and more minutes.

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I could easily ask why are we paying them 16million then (for just 2/3 of their line) when we could pay a 3rd line 8 or 9 in total for the same overall result? They are paid to score more goals.
I know what you are getting at but lets keep in mind that CK is 18th in the NHL with 34 goals so far this season. I would bet most the guys ahead of him make more than his $6.5 mill salary.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island

Do I have good news for you or what then. Out of the 52 lines with at least 250+ mins played this year Kreider/Zibanejad/(Wheeler) rank 18th in goals/60. A whopping 0.06 goals/60 less than Laf/Trocheck/Panarin. Ahead of Knies/Matthews/Marner.; Ahead of Stamkos/Kucherov/Point. Ahead of Kempe/Kopitar/Byfield. Ahead of Barbashev/Eichel/Marchessault. Ahead of Buch/Thomas/Kyrou. Ahead of Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander.

Kreider himself if 75/348 among forwards with 500+ minutes. That's ahead of guys like Trovheck, Kempe, Horvat, Bertuzzi, Kyrou, Marchand, Barzal, Zucc, Gaudreau, Buch, Thomas, Thompson, Tavares, Suzuki, Connor,

Kreider and Zibanejad as a combo (with all linemates) are 3.07 goals/60 which would rank 74th among players with 500+ mins.

Reactions: aufheben

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Kreider and Zibanejad as a combo (with all linemates) are 3.07 goals/60 which would rank 74th among players with 500+ mins.
That's damning stat, if you thought it was impressive. That basically means that they are the best 3rd liners in the league.

Cuckoo4Kakko

Jul 1, 2019
Its a shame that Kakko will never break out like Lafréniere has. Kakko is too soft to do that.
People thought Laf wouldn’t break out like Kakko last year. How are our fans this dumb? Give him time. You are seeing in real time how bad these takes eventually look. Young kids. Let them develop. In the meantime, the team is first in hockey.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
People thought Laf wouldn’t break out like Kakko last year. How are our fans this dumb? Give him time. You are seeing in real time how bad these takes eventually look. Young kids. Let them develop. In the meantime, the team is first in hockey.
Agreed. We do this all the time.

JT miller, Buch, Chytil, Laf all took time to develop.

Also, if Kakko stays a 3rd line player, then he’s an excellent 3rd line player. Not just good… excellent.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I know what you are getting at but lets keep in mind that CK is 18th in the NHL with 34 goals so far this season. I would bet most the guys ahead of him make more than his $6.5 mill salary.
Overall he’s worth his contract for sure. I’m specifically talking 5v5 scoring. And I’m talking about Zibs more than Kreider, but as a tandem hey need to score more 5v5. I’m not sure how that’s arguable.

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
Do I have good news for you or what then. Out of the 52 lines with at least 250+ mins played this year Kreider/Zibanejad/(Wheeler) rank 18th in goals/60. A whopping 0.06 goals/60 less than Laf/Trocheck/Panarin. Ahead of Knies/Matthews/Marner.; Ahead of Stamkos/Kucherov/Point. Ahead of Kempe/Kopitar/Byfield. Ahead of Barbashev/Eichel/Marchessault. Ahead of Buch/Thomas/Kyrou. Ahead of Bertuzzi/Tavares/Nylander.

Kreider himself if 75/348 among forwards with 500+ minutes. That's ahead of guys like Trovheck, Kempe, Horvat, Bertuzzi, Kyrou, Marchand, Barzal, Zucc, Gaudreau, Buch, Thomas, Thompson, Tavares, Suzuki, Connor,

I thought it was obvious that I was talking about 5v5 scoring. I guess not. The PP1 scoring is a different animal. I’m not sure how it’s arguable that they need to score more at 5v5.
This makes me ask: when people talk about their line’s goal differential are they including PP1 scoring? Because I was addressing that diff not thinking it included PP time, which would certainly slant the numbers if so.
Kreider has 10 goals at EV, Zibs has 11. Laf has more goals at EV than those two combined. Pan has 34, Tro has more than either of them too. They need to score more at 5v5. How is this even a question?
EDIT: I f***ed up. Kreids has 19 EV, that’s 30 combined. Laf has 23 on his own, Pan has 34…

Last edited:

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Kakko should be getting more ice time. That line was very impactful against Colorado and has been putting up very solid numbers overall.

The Kakko-Wennberg-Brodz line is pretty productive. With Cuylle it's been much better at limiting chances. Give Laviolette some flexibility in close games whether winning or losing.

I can understand why based on Wennberg being away and coming back on a quick turn after his kid was born. Hopefully today that line gets a good run and more minutes.
I agree but it’s a tough situation. He’s not going to get 1 PP minutes here, likely ever…. He hasn’t meshed with Zibby/kreids for 2 extended looks this season.
Best case, he should be in the PK rotation imo. At least that gets him more minutes on the ice.
If trade, I’d wager he flourishes. Some team will give him more minutes and pk -pp opportunities and lets the bugs work themselves out

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
I thought it was obvious that I was talking about 5v5 scoring. I guess not. The PP1 scoring is a different animal. I’m not sure how it’s arguable that they need to score more at 5v5.
This makes me ask: when people talk about their line’s goal differential are they including PP1 scoring? Because I was addressing that diff not thinking it included PP time, which would certainly slant the numbers if so.
Kreider has 10 goals at EV, Zibs has 11. Laf has more goals at EV than those two combined. Pan has 34, Tro has more than either of them too. They need to score more at 5v5. How is this even a question?
I do not believe that is accurate. CK has 19 goals even strength. 14 goals on the PP. 2 goals short handed.

Reactions: bhamill

bhamill

Apr 16, 2012
I do not believe that is accurate. CK has 19 goals even strength. 14 goals on the PP. 2 goals short handed.
I will recheck, but I did look it up.
….
Okay you are correct. Somehow I mathed in shithouse fashion. My apologies.
Point still stands: they need to score more at even strength. 20 and 93 have 30 EV goals combined. 10 and 13 have 57…

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad