Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Kakko isn't going to reach his full potential until he makes significant improvement in his skating. That needs to be the primary focus of his off season training.
Just adding 1 extra step in speed and raising your stamina/motor to a positive place can have a major effect on most players. There have been some guys that had solid careers in the NHL more on hustle than natural ability.

Reactions: LeetchisGod

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko isn't going to reach his full potential until he makes significant improvement in his skating. That needs to be the primary focus of his off season training.

Yup. It's weird, his feet are not slow, his push off looks strong, but he doesn't "glide" properly for whatever reason. Something is off with his forward foot, be it angles or blade profile. He probably loves to break the ankles of the D in the corners but it's obvious he needs to sacrifice some corner agility for straight ahead speed.

Reactions: 80shockeywasbuns

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Very unlikely (not impossible) that a #2 overall draft pick stays with his original team if he does not reach his prime until his late 20's imo. That would be multiple contracts in to the future. The team may get tired of waiting. The fanbase may get tired of waiting. The team may feel he has more value as a trade piece. Another team may hope that a change of scenery will help. Hopefully for us #NYR fans and for KK himself he reaches his prime sooner rather than later.
Understandable from the team (GM) perspective as his job is on the line too. Realistically, once KK is not cost controlled then Drury has to make a decision....But....

.....f*** the "fanbase". f*** 'em. The "fanbase" couldn't see two inches in front of 'em the majority of the time. Drury shouldn't give a shit about what a bunch of ignorant, emotional, Muppets think, and shouldn't GM from such a position.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Understandable from the team (GM) perspective as his job is on the line too. Realistically, once KK is not cost controlled then Drury has to make a decision....But....

.....f*** the "fanbase". f*** 'em. The "fanbase" couldn't see two inches in front of 'em the majority of the time. Drury shouldn't give a shit about what a bunch of ignorant, emotional, Muppets think, and shouldn't GM from such a position.

Kudos to Verbeek for trying to flip Vatrano for Kakko lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Rongomania

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Kudos to Verbeek for trying to flip Vatrano for Kakko lol.

I'm glad the kid goes out and scores after his name was involved in every ranger rumor. It's a shitty place to be in as a just turned 23 year old 2nd overall.

Literally a perfect response. He told us all he knows what he has to do.

Reactions: CLW

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
Depends. If he scores when the game is already decided, people here complain. If he doesn't smile after he scores, people here complain. If he smiles too big after he scores, people here complain. Basically i'm saying we have some garbage fans.
Well some of those fans may exist but they are the outlier not the norm. If KK produces most NYR fans will be happy about it.

Reactions: Cuckoo4Kakko

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
giphy.gif

NickyFotiu

NYR 2024 Cup Champs!
Sep 29, 2011
When he goes to the middle instead of staying on the boards or in the corners good stuff happens. Still would like to see more out of him but I have more optimism than I did months ago. Hope is good.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Would be a huge boost to this clubs chances if he consistently scores the way he has the past couple weeks.

Having a competent center makes a big difference but he is also playing with more confidence.

Getting to the inside was always a chore for him but now he’s looking for the openings instead of shying away from them

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
Kakko and Wennberg's games mesh very well together, but they still aren't quite on the same page on a lot of plays. Wennberg expects Kakko to be more assertive, but Kakko tries to defer a little too often.

If Kakko can start playing with Wennberg in the same way that he was playing with Cuylle and Brodzinski, then that line is going to be even better than they are right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad