Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
During my stay in New York, I was given sticks by Kakko and Lafrenière and I have to say... I'm shocked at how short Kakko's sticks are! I put the sticks of current players next to each other last night and noticed the difference.

Left to right:
Kakko National team
Kakko NHL
Lafrenière NHL
Lundkvist SHL
Zibanejad NHL
Georgiev NHL
Shestyorkin KHL

FF4jz-qX0AInbeP

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
During my stay in New York, I was given sticks by Kakko and Lafrenière and I have to say... I'm shocked at how short Kakko's sticks are! I put the sticks of current players next to each other last night and noticed the difference.

Left to right:
Kakko National team
Kakko NHL
Lafrenière NHL
Lundkvist SHL
Zibanejad NHL
Georgiev NHL
Shestyorkin KHL

FF4jz-qX0AInbeP
Flex & Curve numbers all the sticks? Is Kakko’s NHL different from national team? I use a kid stick lol
Intermediate, 55 flex, P92M curve :)

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY

Left to right:
Kakko National team
Kakko NHL
Lafrenière NHL
Lundkvist SHL
Zibanejad NHL
Georgiev NHL
Shestyorkin KHL

FF4jz-qX0AInbeP

You're basically the Rangers' mascot at this point.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Left to right:
Kakko National team
Kakko NHL
Lafrenière NHL
Lundkvist SHL
Zibanejad NHL
Georgiev NHL
Shestyorkin KHL

FF4jz-qX0AInbeP

Compare with Mika's stick too. That's why we have been talking about Kaapo playing with a longer stick, but... Ovi also plays with a short stick, even shorter I'd say, and he's doing alright.

e: also that CCM stick (2nd left) is one from Kakko's rookie season I think. He plays with a CCM Jetspeed now that looks longer.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012

Left to right:
Kakko National team
Kakko NHL
Lafrenière NHL
Lundkvist SHL
Zibanejad NHL
Georgiev NHL
Shestyorkin KHL

FF4jz-qX0AInbeP
It helps with the quick dangles but it affects shot power

Too short and/or too long make the leverage awkward

CLW

Nov 11, 2018

Ovi's stick is ridiculously short, but the goalies have no time to react when he shoots so it works for him.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

The way he explained it to me is that he likes using shorter sticks because he gets the shot off quicker, and it gives him more control over the puck.

It comes at the expense of shot power of course and it depends on the player as to what works.

Reactions: Chaels Arms

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Ribcor, ewww.

That is a bit shocking for Kakko considering how many plays he breaks up with his stick.

He must have the arm length to torso ratio of a Gibbon monkey.

Sick. Thanks for posting Steven

Reactions: Amazing Kreiderman

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Kakko has all the tools needed to be an elite player and now he's starting to put them together. If he ever hits his ceiling, he'll be scary good. Excited to see the progress.

Was very concerned at the end of last season. But the jump from Year 2 to Year 3 has been much better than Year 1 to Year 2.

Reactions: haveandare

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Kakko has all the tools needed to be an elite player and now he's starting to put them together. If he ever hits his ceiling, he'll be scary good. Excited to see the progress.

Was very concerned at the end of last season. But the jump from Year 2 to Year 3 has been much better than Year 1 to Year 2.

I thought the opposite. Last year he was a very good grinder and year 1 he sucked. This year he's a very good grinder with offense.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I thought the opposite. Last year he was a very good grinder and year 1 he sucked. This year he's a very good grinder with offense.
Yes but a grinder was not what we drafted him to be. Great that it is part of his repertoire now along with the skill, but as a grinder last season he looked like he could be an effective 3rd line defensive forward. Hardly what any of us envisioned for him. This is the first season you can truly feel excited about his potential.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I'm actually more surprised that Lundkvist's stick is that short. I always played forward growing up, and I liked using shorter sticks so that I could stickhandle quicker and closer to my feet; but when I started playing defense sometimes, I had to go get a couple longer sticks, because that extra reach made a big difference.

Although, I guess the height difference between these two is pretty drastic haha

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Yes but a grinder was not what we drafted him to be. Great that it is part of his repertoire now along with the skill, but as a grinder last season he looked like he could be an effective 3rd line defensive forward. Hardly what any of us envisioned for him. This is the first season you can truly feel excited about his potential.
I think maybe it was a bit asked of him !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad