Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

rangersfansince08

Oct 8, 2019
Lafreniere exploding into a star would be great and all but Kakko will always be our first love.

Kakko as an 80 point defensively responsible winger would be more popular than Panarin at 110 points.

A Selke caliber PPG Kakko would be amazing. He has a better chance than Laf anyways imo.

Reactions: SloppyCevapi

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Kakko has two ridiculous cold, scoreless streaks this season (10 games, then 7 games, not including missed time due to injury, either) and he's still at 0.4 ppg, which is higher than either of his first two seasons (0.35 ppg both seasons).

For the love of god please give this kid some PP1 time.

He's on the cusp. Getting him on a line that works and getting him some PP time and he'll be an impact player this season.

He also has 10 points the last, basically, calendar month.

If we say the season is 6 months long he'd be projecting for a 60 point season if he can keep it up, even with the occasional cold streak.

Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
Kakko has two ridiculous cold, scoreless streaks this season (10 games, then 7 games, not including missed time due to injury, either) and he's still at 0.4 ppg, which is higher than either of his first two seasons (0.35 ppg both seasons).

For the love of god please give this kid some PP1 time.

He's on the cusp. Getting him on a line that works and getting him some PP time and he'll be an impact player this season.

He also has 10 points the last, basically, calendar month.

If we say the season is 6 months long he'd be projecting for a 60 point season if he can keep it up, even with the occasional cold streak.

Kakko is the one young forward who looks significantly better now than he did his rookie year. Now its all about finding the consistency. Hes already ahead of where Buchnevich was at that age, and i think that the benchmark right now.

Reactions: The Sweetness

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Kakko is the one young forward who looks significantly better now than he did his rookie year. Now its all about finding the consistency. Hes already ahead of where Buchnevich was at that age, and i think that the benchmark right now.

It's not what we wanted but at least you can point to the progression and say he will be a 70 point player if he keeps this up. And there's still a possibility of more.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
It's not what we wanted but at least you can point to the progression and say he will be a 70 point player if he keeps this up. And there's still a possibility of more.

I am not getting my hopes up for 70 until I see more but he’s on the right track.

Reactions: brakeyawself

Miamipuck

Al Swearengen
Dec 29, 2009
Take a Wild Guess
He plays a man's game- meaning along the walls, corners, possession in the offensive zone, defensive zone play. His body wasn't ready for the NHL. He's going against the strongest, smartest players in the world. He's going to be a Jagr like player with using his body to protect the puck, playing in the offensive zone etc. It's just going to take a bit more time, as obviously he isn't as developed as a player like Jagr was coming into the league.

Edit: I am not even considering the lack of special teams for him.

Last edited:

bleedblue94

Jun 8, 2004
If Kakko can ever develop his shot and his own personal confidence in his shot he will become a dynamic player. Just like panarin was having issues earlier in the year bc he wasnt shooting and no one respected the shoot option from him I see the same with kakko due to lack of confidence in his shot. If he can develop that and opposing players have to respect it or even close gaps more to protect against the shot option than kakko will be able to use his power game even more.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
tumblr_o32ypbMddT1s0qd5jo1_1280.jpg

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
I see a lot of Marcel Hosea in Kakko if his offense game never improves at the NHL level.

I can’t see why you’d say that. Even marcel would go on some streaks and make you think, wow is this kid finally putting it together?? He looks like he’s becoming a dangerous player. He would also have some pretty slick confident moves with the puck.
Although he wasn’t physical, his size and style allowed him to play along to boards and down low well. Marcel and Marian both had not problem protecting the puck with their bodies/legs.
I do think that even if Kakko doesn’t hit that extra gear offensively, he’s still a more consistent point producer then marcel. He’s also already a better 2-way/ defensive fwd then marcel ever was right now.
I don’t see him putting up less then 40-45 pts really ever if he plays like he has from the start of this season.
Obviously we’re all hoping he turns out more like Marian and less like Marcel. I’m not really that worried tbh.
The thing that sucks is him not really getting any 1 PP opportunities. Perhaps in a year or 2 he might be able to take over for kreider in front on the net if the rangers feel they can trade him. He may not be as good at deflecting shots in net. But both guys are loads to to move and neither are particularly overly physical guys. He would have no problem screening the goalie and mopping up rebounds or set passes from panarin/Fox/Zibby. He’s probably got just as good or better hands then kreider right now.
My best guess is Kakko lives in between that 60-65 pt range for the majority of his career. I could see him having a few years where he surpasses those totals though.
Imo LaF with always be the guy that scores more points. Both have no problem scoring goals from the dirty/high traffic areas. They are only going to get better at that as time goes on, but Lafs wrister and the way he shoots the puck off the pass should be the major thing that separates them.
LaF isn’t shooting enough, but his shot is def superior to kakkos.

Last edited:
Reactions: brakeyawself

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
All stats are random but some stats are more random than others.

-Animal Farm

This one is also random but I've been doing them all season. Chris Kreider is on pace for 47 goals and 74 points which would be the most by one of our own draft picks* since Petr Průcha (goals) and Tony Amonte (points)

*among forwards

Reactions: scanzzilla
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad