Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
If he can improve more on his explosiveness and shooting, he might have his breakout year next season as i predicted before this season, i know alot of people were saying he might break out this season but he's quite not there yet, he's going to be a star.

Reactions: Cag29

NickyLongLegz

Apr 30, 2019
F84F8BA9-C3E8-4014-A7FC-9837807A3CDE.png

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
If he can improve more on his explosiveness and shooting, he might have his breakout year next season as i predicted before this season, i know alot of people were saying he might break out this season but he's quite not there yet, he's going to be a star.

I think you have to say that this season was his breakout season. Even if he doesn't maintain the ppg pace he's been on, he's still looked really good in almost every game. Even those first 10 games with 0 points he looked good, he was just one of the most unlucky players I've seen. Best part is he's doing all while on PP2. If he gets moved up to PP1 points will flow like crazy.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

I think his explosiveness is actually pretty good and one of the big things that helped him move forward over his rookie year
His top end isn't the strongest part of his skating but he gets in fast on the forecheck with quick powerful strides.
I think the biggest thing will be just learning when to pull the trigger and when to make that extra move

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
I think you have to say that this season was his breakout season. Even if he doesn't maintain the ppg pace he's been on, he's still looked really good in almost every game. Even those first 10 games with 0 points he looked good, he was just one of the most unlucky players I've seen. Best part is he's doing all while on PP2. If he gets moved up to PP1 points will flow like crazy.
I do get what you are saying, and i agree, i just think that once he gets his shooting and skating improved, then he'll take an even bigger leap forward and break through offensively completely.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
I do get what you are saying, and i agree, i just think that once he gets his shooting and skating improved, then he'll take an even bigger leap forward and break through offensively completely.
Agree. Peak Kakko is going to be scary good.

Reactions: Cag29

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I wonder how much physical tweaking and how much mental. He did get faster in year 2 compared to year 1 but I also think the biggest thing was just how he attacked the puck more and was more active (which has carried over and how he creates so many turnovers, in addition to having a pretty good sense of where to be on the ice)

Reactions: haveandare

karhukissa

Apr 2, 2019
I'm so happy to see him doing well now, he's been very honest and open about his struggles and never made any excuses. It's also been a good test to him, facing this amount of struggle early on his career and if he's able to overcome it, he'll be hell of a player. So next time he's having a slump or tough time, he can look back and think that he's already been there and was able to overcome it. I can already tell that he's not that shy kid anymore, confidence is there and he knows that he's a valuable asset to the team.

I'm sure Lafreniere will be fine aswell, the amount of talent these kids have is obvious, so it's just down to small things and mental stuff to get them going.

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
He's been fantastic these last few weeks, and it's really telling how much better a line's offense looks when they're looking to feed him the puck.

Another interesting note, with that powerplay point last night, 13 of his 17 career powerplay points are primary points (4g, 9a). I know he isn't displacing anyone on the top unit soon, but I'm really excited to see how it looks when he gets the chance to get the right wall spot there hopefully either later this year or by next season.

Reactions: TheDirtyH and Trxjw

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
ESP/G
Kakko = 0.41
Panarin = 0.67
Fox = 0.62
Kreider = 0.48
Strome = 0.59
Mika = 0.48

Not bad, and almost 0.5 P/G after this little run.

Reactions: Barnaby

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Kakko is so confident in himself right now, and he looks great. Speaks volumes to how Quinn treated him and how Gallant is working with him. This is the player I remember seeing at the Worlds dominating for Finland.

The pass he made to Kreider was amazing. On his stick and off his stick immediately. Precise and in a spot that let Kreider rip it right off the pass. The move he made on that pass from Miller would have been a goal, defender just got out to him after he outwaited Hart.

If this is how things are going to look for Lafreniere next year, look out. Maybe could happen for him later in the season too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad