Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
How many shots has he had in the last 3 games? It’s gotta be 12-15. Feels like more.

He’s doing everything out there except getting points. Very frustrating, but it will have to come sooner or later... right?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I love Kakko's play this game, only player who gave a shit but I'm so sick of him looking great with nothing to show for it. He really needs to work on his damn shot.
I don’t want to end up here, but at some point you have to start wondering about the luck narrative. Yes, he has undeniably looked great in possession of the puck but if he simply lacks finishing skills we can’t just sit around and expect that that is going to change. It feels like the floodgates are about to open so hopefully it really is just a case of the snake bites.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don’t want to end up here, but at some point you have to start wondering about the luck narrative. Yes, he has undeniably looked great in possession of the puck but if he simply lacks finishing skills we can’t just sit around and expect that that is going to change. It feels like the floodgates are about to open so hopefully it really is just a case of the snake bites.

Yeah, we've had a bunch of players like that who couldn't finish but was otherwise good. Not what you want from a 2 overall and we won't win shit like that. Too early to call him Pavel Buchnevich but he reminds of him sometimes though he's more noticeable on the ice.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Kakko has turned into Mark Stone with out the production.

I mean as long as he keeps doing these things the production will follow, but it's equal parts encouraging and irritating to watch.

I remember Kreider saying Kakko needs to learn how to play the boards NHL style when he first joined the Rangers. It's impressive that Kakko now is better than Kreider at that very thing. Kakko has also looked the most naturally talented player on the ice for a few games now, once he figures out the offensive NHL game that suits him he'll be a beast.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I remember Kreider saying Kakko needs to learn how to play the boards NHL style when he first joined the Rangers. It's impressive that Kakko now is better than Kreider at that very thing. Kakko has also looked the most naturally talented player on the ice for a few games now, once he figures out the offensive NHL game that suits him he'll be a beast.

He learned the board work and stick work very quickly, hopefully he can do the same with the offense.

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
He learned the board work and stick work very quickly, hopefully he can do the same with the offense.

He seems to pick up things quickly from what the coaches want from him, but none of the Ranger players are being helped by the current offensive zone play Quinn has them playing (grind in the corners, stand in front of the goal and hope for a lucky bounce). The scoring chances they get are odd angles, rarely a proper shot. Blackwell scored a nice one but that was on a counter attack. One of the few (only) times a Ranger came into the slot with speed and a puck under control.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Yeah, we've had a bunch of players like that who couldn't finish but was otherwise good. Not what you want from a 2 overall and we won't win shit like that. Too early to call him Pavel Buchnevich but he reminds of him sometimes though he's more noticeable on the ice.
Give him time, idk how he can remind you of Buchnevich in his 2nd season being super far away from developing fully, some of you are overreacting abit here.

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Kakko is flashing star potential. Which may seem crazy to say given his stat line, but to me he is with how he is playing. To think he is only 20...can’t imagine what he will play like at 24/25.

He is already bullying people out there a bit, love how he locked up Subban behind the net to buy space for Strome in front on the delayed goal. Not that that is even the type of thing that “flashes star potential” but as an added bonus that’s awesome.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

He’s a young kid and has shown in previous league high end offense.

If in a year we are in the same situation, looks great with no production it’s time to get worried.
Right now he’s a young kid who’s shown massive development in short amount of time, but hasn’t been able to turn it into production on short sample size

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
Points aside, I feel like he’s been our best forward this season. The points will come, but he’s doing everything right. His skating looks worlds better, he wins battles along the boards, and he goes to the net and pays the price to try to score. He needs to improve his shot, but the goals will come.

I feel like he and Chytil would he creating magic right now if Chytil was healthy.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
Kakkos best playmaker, possible very long term line mate goes down as well as the top scorer on the club/The man who drives all the offense - the kid has stepped up. A few points the next game would go a very long way.

it's coming.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Without Kakko's improved play, this season would be utterly unwatchable.

I think he would be good for Mika, he is making the most plays and possessing the puck. Having someone who can historically score along side him might boost them both.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
I'd honestly put him with Blackwell in the middle.... as sad as that sounds. or even Rooney.

Lafreniere Blackwell Kakko
Kreider Zibs Buchnevich
Panarin Strome PDG
Lemieux Rooney Howden/Gauthier

Reactions: bl02

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I've started to notice the last few games how much he is hounding the puck now on the forecheck and causing defenders to cough up the puck. Reminds me a lot of Panarin last season. Really great to see if he can continue to do this. If he gets a bit faster, he's going to wreak havoc on the forecheck.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
I love what we're seeing from Kakko.

Remember that Strome lost something like 10 of 11 faceoffs. Kakko spent his shifts first recovering the puck and then still made things happen.

About his shot, his stick was usually tied up where he did well just getting shots off. The next step is to find soft areas to receive passes where he gets an extra half-second to snipe.

Pawnee Rangers

Jan 10, 2019
Very pleased with his progression. He's playing fearless, with a ton of confidence. One of the real bright spots of the season thus far. Sooner or later some of these are going to start going in.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
Goal scorers can be streaky feels like soon as he gets one he’ll get a bunch. It’s the last piece of the puzzle for him. He’s doing literally everything else

Reactions: Mac n Gs
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad