Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sisu4ever

Jan 6, 2020
OT but when I watched F1 regularly, fellow Finn Kimi Raikkonen was the embodiment of sisu. One of my favorites. They kind of look alike too.
Yeah Kimi is my favorite F1 driver, I like his style. I think there are some similarities between Kimi and Kaapo.

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
New York Rangers: Last season, they ranked fifth in goals per game and now they're 25th. It's puzzling because they have lots of talent. Artemi Panarin is producing as expected, but Mika Zibanejad has one goal this season and one point in his last nine games. Second-year Kaapo Kakko, a No. 2 overall pick in 2019, hasn't taken the step forward that 2019 No. 1 pick Jack Hughes did with the New Jersey Devils this season. No. 1 overall 2020 pick Alexis Lafreniere has been limited to one goal. The team has only three goals from its defense, and the power play ranks 24th in the league. The Rangers are 1-3-3 in one-goal games. — Mike Brehm

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
New York Rangers: Last season, they ranked fifth in goals per game and now they're 25th. It's puzzling because they have lots of talent. Artemi Panarin is producing as expected, but Mika Zibanejad has one goal this season and one point in his last nine games. Second-year Kaapo Kakko, a No. 2 overall pick in 2019, hasn't taken the step forward that 2019 No. 1 pick Jack Hughes did with the New Jersey Devils this season. No. 1 overall 2020 pick Alexis Lafreniere has been limited to one goal. The team has only three goals from its defense, and the power play ranks 24th in the league. The Rangers are 1-3-3 in one-goal games. — Mike Brehm
I find it almost unbelievable that 7 team shave a worse powerplay than us

Reactions: haveandare

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I find it almost unbelievable that 7 team shave a worse powerplay than us
My friend, allow me to introduce you to...*drumroll*....the Minnesota Wild:

upload_2021-2-13_16-27-36.png

Scott r

Feb 10, 2021
Pls dont ualae the anology who was more impressive at a certain age. That leads you to think he has as good or better chance the lnhossa...so dont compare yet

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If you believe that Kakko has not take. A step forward , then I would question on wetter or not you are actually watching the games.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I wonder if he specifically worked on his defense or if he's just a natural. Clearly he's either a natural, a hard worker, or both and I think both bode well for his future.

Sockosensei

May 13, 2007
Japan
I wonder if he specifically worked on his defense or if he's just a natural. Clearly he's either a natural, a hard worker, or both and I think both bode well for his future.
Both. Sisu on display.

It's important that some of his defensive and forechecking plays have directly resulted in goals for his team. Other plays have led to more puck possession and offensive chances. The positive cycle reinforces itself.

The earlier in his career that he can do these things, the more time he'll have to build on them. Now the team needs to find its puck luck.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Here's the source ;)

I don’t think this data says all that much this early in the season (Kakko’s ratio gets cut in half with his next giveaway), but I am curious what the list looks like if you sort by takeaways? Where does 11 takeaways rank on the list? I assume it’s pretty high?

Where are all of the elite forwards on the list?

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I think what I like most about Kakko’s game recently is that he is the driver on any line he plays on and he wants the puck, and he wants to take away the puck.

He has passed the stage of absorbing the NHL game and all of its positional requirements.

He has internalized it all and it has become instinct. It frees him up to play with the north-south confidence we saw on the world stage.

Honestly he is quickly becoming a very effective 200 ft player, something we didn’t really expect. The fact that has happened so quickly is a huge plus to this teams future. You need to remind yourself the kid just turned 20.

The points will come, he is getting plenty of chances. But to me, despite the lack of production, he is ahead of where he should be in his development.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
I don’t think this data says all that much this early in the season (Kakko’s ratio gets cut in half with his next giveaway), but I am curious what the list looks like if you sort by takeaways? Where does 11 takeaways rank on the list? I assume it’s pretty high?

Where are all of the elite forwards on the list?

14 players league-wide have at least 11 takeaways. Only 2 others have 11 takeaways and 2 or less giveaways

EDIT: In terms of Takeaways/60, he's 13th (Right above Mark Stone), and only one player above him has played more than 5 games

Last edited:
Reactions: Synergy27
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad