Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So I got 69/11 for 5 on 5 goals for per 60 per game and multiplied that by 12.9/60 and I got him being on the ice for about 1.3 goals per game. The Rangers score 2.58 goals per game. So he's on the ice for more than half the Rangers goals? This doesn't even take into account the power play. I think there's something with the methodology I'm missing here.

Also, his xGF/60 is significantly lower than his xGA/60, so that doesn't seem flattering to him.

No, that's the percentile. A high xGA/60 is good, because it means he is in the higher percentile of that stat, i.e. the better players in the league. Blue is good, red is bad

upload_2021-2-12_4-10-22.png

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Quinn took a lot of shit for that Kakko quote about how he never wanted to do anything too fancy, because the coach would sit him.

Maybe the kid learned a value lesson.

Maybe Quinn is helping him develop into a genuine two-way beast.

If that doesn't fly in the face of too many coaching narratives on here, anyway.
His offensive ability will always be there.

What he had to learn early is that good defense can only turn into even more offensive chances. You can be a gifted offensive player and that won't matter so much if you're having to defend for your entire shift every time the other team gets the puck because you can force giveaways.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
His offensive ability will always be there.

What he had to learn early is that good defense can only turn into even more offensive chances. You can be a gifted offensive player and that won't matter so much if you're having to defend for your entire shift every time the other team gets the puck because you can force giveaways.

Like most things in life, there’s a happy medium. He has to feel comfortable making plays in the offensive zone. On the other hand, you can’t have an 18 year old dangling his way into the offensive zone and getting stripped at the blue line 5 times a game. Kakko had to learn how to play in a bigger, faster, and better league. He’s getting it now, and he’s only going to get better.

I think it goes without saying that a couple kids like Lafreniere and Kakko are having to learn how to adapt to the NHL. Your no longer able to simply do whatever you want and get away with it anymore. There’s only so many McDavid and Crosby’s. If I can throw 98mph in high school I could throw straight as an arrow right down the middle and no one could touch me. If I tried to the that in the MLB I’d get torched and be struggling to get out of A ball.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I see him using his hands and puck handling with a little more discretion now. He's using it to snag pucks and make quick moves to get space and get free, not trying to make moves over and over to try to gain a bunch of time which doesn't really work in the NHL that well
Like I said, I think seeing him maybe take the puck towards the net sometimes and just try to make a quick move and shoot would be something I'd like to see a bit more of but honestly he's trending up

Reactions: Rongomania

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Must be exciting to see that he's developing nicely, especially for those fans who had some concerns, i watched his last game and was so happy to see that he was making such an impact every shift out there, it felt like i was watching the same Kakko as in TPS where my eyes were glued to the screen every time he stepped on the ice, obviously he doesn't have the same impact in the NHL (yet) but i have always believed in him to become capable of being that elite powerforward with the ability to be a Crosby esque grinder.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Must be exciting to see that he's developing nicely, especially for those fans who had some concerns, i watched his last game and was so happy to see that he was making such an impact every shift out there, it felt like i was watching the same Kakko as in TPS where my eyes were glued to the screen every time he stepped on the ice, obviously he doesn't have the same impact in the NHL (yet) but i have always believed in him to become capable of being that elite powerforward with the ability to be a Crosby esque grinder.

Great to hear this from a non-rangers fan that has watched him a lot when he was on TPS.

I feel like Kakko needs to get just a bit quicker and stronger to start being effective enough to pile points on. Last year he was like 3 steps too slow on the puck and out muscled almost immediately when he had it. Now he's only like a half step too slow and right on the line in terms of strength. Another big off-season of conditioning, strength training, and working on his speed/skating and I think we are going to see a dominant player next year.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
He made the right play on that 2 on 1 with Laf. I'd rather him attempt that move on the goalie every single time then try to force a pass that gets knocked away.
i wish he would have picked a corner instead of making the move, but i agree the pass was the wrong play.

Reactions: Chytilmania

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
So I got 69/11 for 5 on 5 goals for per 60 per game and multiplied that by 12.9/60 and I got him being on the ice for about 1.3 goals per game. The Rangers score 2.58 goals per game. So he's on the ice for more than half the Rangers goals? This doesn't even take into account the power play. I think there's something with the methodology I'm missing here.

Also, his xGF/60 is significantly lower than his xGA/60, so that doesn't seem flattering to him.
The numbers are percentile rankings among forwards, not raw totals.

Metadata:

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
AK explained it, thanks. I feel like I knew that too and forgot.
Sorry, I know it kind of annoys people when I post these things and leave out details, that’s not my intention. Honestly I just think “oh that’s neat” and post it here in case someone else might find it interesting. I don’t really think much about it. Also posting from my phone 99% of the time.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Sorry, I know it kind of annoys people when I post these things and leave out details. Honestly though I just think “oh that’s neat” and post it here in case someone else might find it interesting. I don’t really think much about it.

It's fine, I just thought those were absolute numbers and the math didn't add up. I guess it didn't make sense that it was absolute numbers since it said last year he was at 0 GF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad