Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
He found the soft spot in the defense and put himself in position to shoot. That's all I've been looking for from him.

I see him needing to turn the dial to be more like Guentzel to score goals; to even out his Rick Nash.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
so a top 5 player in the world?
That depends where you would rate Mark Stone. IMO he's a top 30ish... A phenomenal player. Kakko top5 is a reach but he'd could be top10-20 IF he reaches his ceiling. ( Top 5 winger, maybe )

Kakko is similar to Stone but adds another dimension with his signature edgework-board possession play ( he is also a better playmaker IMO ). Hence, Rich Man's Mark Stone.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
The release on that one timer was *chefs kiss*, so non-chalant and chill while Fox glides the puck over to him, waits until the last possible second when the puck is on top of him, and lightning quick with the slapper. No early raised stick begging for the one timer only to end up giving the goalie an easy read. And some puck luck on the rebound FINALLY rewarding him for going to the dirty parts, and he did well to put it home while off balance too. Now just needs to get better at hitting the open nets ;)

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Kakko still needs to work on his skating and shot. Those are the two missing pieces. Part of his hesitation issues when in close to the net I do think is that he doesn’t trust his shot. He can rip a one timer as we saw, but his wrist shot leaves a lot to be desired. Imagine he had a quality shot, stickhandling on the boards away from 3 defenders then launching one at the net. He just doesn’t do that. I wish he could.

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
Kakko still needs to work on his skating and shot. Those are the two missing pieces. Part of his hesitation issues when in close to the net I do think is that he doesn’t trust his shot. He can rip a one timer as we saw, but his wrist shot leaves a lot to be desired. Imagine he had a quality shot, stickhandling on the boards away from 3 defenders then launching one at the net. He just doesn’t do that. I wish he could.
Agreed, allthough i recall him actually shooting a few very good ones aimed at the top corner but they were glove saved unfortiunately.

Reactions: FireGerardGallant

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
it’s amazing how kakko can just dominate a shift. he can be fighting through 3 defenders yet still finds a way to come away with the puck. he just hasn’t been able to turn it into points. the shift he had against buffalo tonight was obscene.

A bit of work on his skating, in particular the first two/three steps and explosiveness plus his shot/shooting angles in the off season and he should take another huge step next season.

hella rights

Oct 9, 2006
A bit of work on his skating, in particular the first two/three steps and explosiveness plus his shot/shooting angles in the off season and he should take another huge step next season.
I agree this will make him a lot more dangerous. I’m hoping too the team will learn how to better use the space he creates. If he can consistently draw in multiple players along the boards and more likely than not come away with the puck, it seems like that should open up opportunities to get creative with positioning because he doesn’t need that typical puck support.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Does anyone else feel like he's being a bit too conservative in puck control and never makes a pass to a dangerous area and usually just goes to the point to keep possession?

CLW

Nov 11, 2018
Does anyone else feel like he's being a bit too conservative in puck control and never makes a pass to a dangerous area and usually just goes to the point to keep possession?

That's part of what makes him dangerous and why advanced stats love him. He takes control of the puck for his team, tilts the ice and takes the puck to the other end under control and keeps it there. The other team can't score if they don't have the puck and eventually they will make a mistake and your team scores. If you cough up the puck cheaply it just goes down the other way and you have to defend. And the NYR doesn't exactly pack the slot/crease area with players for him to pass into much of the time. The coaches seem to want him to be the guy that goes to the blue paint for deflections and rebounds. And what Rangers in 7 said...

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Kodiak

Feb 27, 2002
Ranger fan in Philly

I've noticed that as well. Kakko is great along the wall but doesn't know how to get the puck off the wall. That's what he needs to figure out next, and he's starting to do it. He made a nice pass from behind the net on this goal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad