Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdhstlr23

Feb 21, 2013
I'd be worried if he wasn't showing improvement. His underlying numbers are fantastic. The different of where he was last year and this year can't be overlooked. Imagine if he can make one more jump like that after the next off season.

I also wouldn't discount that this team looks like a dumpster fire right now and that I don't think Quinn knows how to handle him.

I would say that if he isn't starting to produce by next season, then we should start to worry.

Fair thought and opinion.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
If Kakko tested positive wouldn't this be an issue having played today's game? I mean I am assuming they found out about contact tracing with him sometime after the Flyer game and before today's early start. If he was truly positive
how could the entire team head out and play today? Maybe they are just being extra careful with him? IDK

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
The optics of a professional athlete getting the shot, at risk or not, is not a good look.

It makes no difference to me, but I can see the negative optics of it.
I’m honestly shocked that the pro sports leagues haven’t worked out a deal of for no other reason that these games are pretty much the only diversion people have right now. I don’t think the backlash would be as bad as it seems like it would, but then again, we live in a ridiculous media environment.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
If Kakko tested positive wouldn't this be an issue having played today's game? I mean I am assuming they found out about contact tracing with him sometime after the Flyer game and before today's early start. If he was truly positive
how could the entire team head out and play today? Maybe they are just being extra careful with him? IDK
It’s weird that it’s just him again. He’s definitely being treated differently than the rest of the team.

I know nothing about this, but is it possible that his underlying condition(s) make him more prone to false positives?

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
It’s weird that it’s just him again. He’s definitely being treated differently than the rest of the team.

I know nothing about this, but is it possible that his underlying condition(s) make him more prone to false positives?

I’m no scientist but I don’t see how having diabetes could lead to a false positive. I’m guessing/hoping they are just being a little extra careful with him.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
My guess, and strictly a guess, is it’s possible he was in contact with someone before the road trip that returned a positive result. Given that, he’s been isolated as a close contact and they’re waiting for the incubation period to be up before he’s eligible to play again. That would explain why he was only on the list for a day or two last time.

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Probably a far fetched assumption, but is it possible he was hanging out with Chytil? I read somewhere they are in eachothers company a lot before the season started I think.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
So is he sick or no? Not that they play anytime soon again. This scheduling is ridiculous.
They surely won't tell us. I guess we will have to wait for the next practice or two. If he doesn't practice then we must make our own conclusions like we are doing with Chytil

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
I’m honestly shocked that the pro sports leagues haven’t worked out a deal of for no other reason that these games are pretty much the only diversion people have right now. I don’t think the backlash would be as bad as it seems like it would, but then again, we live in a ridiculous media environment.
There are still front line people that havent gotten it yet. Athletes can get in line after them.

Idlerlee

Apr 19, 2013

So you're suggesting that the only thing wrong with pro athletes being prioritized over working class people for a vaccine and return to normal life is how the media would present it?

This might be the most selfish thing I have read on these forums. I'm sorry but this is just a very shitty opinion.

Hopefully most of the athletes would flat out refuse this because they too will realize just how shitty a priority that is.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC

Not more prone to false positives, but definitely more prone to being cautious with him at a different degree of contact tracing. Just as an example that has no specific basis in reality, they’ll put someone without his underlying conditions on the Covid list if they were in contact with someone who tested positive. But do they do it for being in contact with someone who was in contact with a positive case? They might for Kakko where they didn’t for someone else.

That’s the kind of extra caution Kakko might be facing right now. Total speculation of course... I have nothing that says this is true. But it does make sense.

Reactions: HatTrick Swayze

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I am very much against all NHL players getting the vaccine just because they are athletes... but KK is now eligible under NYS guidelines as of last week, so he would not be cheating the system.

Of course, we are extremely low on doses in the city, and he should probably wait until that changes given there are higher risk groups... however, he is well within his rights to get it fairly and would not be "jumping the line" at this point.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
So you're suggesting that the only thing wrong with pro athletes being prioritized over working class people for a vaccine and return to normal life is how the media would present it?

This might be the most selfish thing I have read on these forums. I'm sorry but this is just a very shitty opinion.

Hopefully most of the athletes would flat out refuse this because they too will realize just how shitty a priority that is.
Ok. I’m not advocating for this to happen. I’m just surprised that it hasn’t. With the money involved, and the fact that there’s nothing much else for people to do, I would not have been surprised if the leagues worked out a deal.

In other words, I’m surprised that the working class people aren’t getting screwed over for once.

There is definitely an argument for it though. This is going on much longer than originally promised and the mental health aspects of the rest of society are a legitimate issue at this point.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad