Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Chytil's injury is the worst thing that could've happened to Kaapo at this point, besides getting injured himself. That line's not gonna play much with Howden centering it.

Feel bad for the kid, he's doing what's asked and playing under 10 minutes for it. Oh well, I'm sure he'll outlast Quinn.

CTRanger

N9Y4R
Jun 20, 2006
The Gold Coast
Best game of his young career IMO. This was the most engaged I’ve seen him. Skating, energy, creating chances. He can be a bull in the O-zone especially below the dots. Needs a lot of work on his play without the puck/defensive side of the puck, but the potential was obvious tonight.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
He’s been much more noticeable in a good way this season. I think the only real apparent weakness still is his his balance and lower body strength. He’s still losing more puck battles than not, especially around the boards. Overall though playing with much more confidence

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I am starting to think he becomes exactly the player everyone expected at some point even if it takes a few years...and probably after the Rangers make the huge mistake of trading him. Hope I'm wrong about the second part though but his usage is just stupid and seems like he is not getting the right opportunities right now.
This is what I think too. You can definitely see the potential. I think a bit more development and a bit more confidence and he's going to break out. Last year you saw glimpses of what he can do, but also saw that there was a lot of work to be done. He's closed the gap quite a bit, but still needs to work on it a bit more. But he's not getting out-hustled and outworked anymore like last year and each game he's starting to hold on to the puck a little bit more and trying to do things with it.

Patience with this kid is key and I think he and the team will be rewarded for it.

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
I am starting to think he becomes exactly the player everyone expected at some point even if it takes a few years...and probably after the Rangers make the huge mistake of trading him. Hope I'm wrong about the second part though but his usage is just stupid and seems like he is not getting the right opportunities right now.
Why would they trade him? There's a million guys on the roster more likely to be traded before we get to Kakko.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY

I'd only trade Kakko if we were getting someone like a Jack Eichel back.

Reactions: Ktel16

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Right now I think the Rangers have four untouchables, with a fifth not too far behind. Kakko is in that group.

Short of Connor McDavid hitting the trade block, I will be very, very surprised if any of them are are going anywhere.

Not just because of their talent and upside, but from a cost perspective too. You need those young, top shelf talents on cheaper, cost-controlled contracts for as long as possible.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Clear that Quinn doesn't quite trust him on the defensive side of the puck yet but he's a new man with the puck on his stick and on the forecheck this year. Hounding guys who have the puck, excellent along the boards, and starting to generate opportunities. If you're looking at last year as the baseline he's really done nothing but improve his game across the board this season.

Profet

Longtime lurker
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2002
NY
profetkeyboards.com
Right now I think the Rangers have four untouchables, with a fifth not too far behind. Kakko is in that group.

Short of Connor McDavid hitting the trade block, I will be very, very surprised if any of them are are going anywhere.

Not just because of their talent and upside, but from a cost perspective too. You need those young, top shelf talents on cheaper, cost-controlled contracts for as long as possible.

Oh oh... lets speculate...

Laf, Kakko, Fox, Miller... Shesterkin?

Reactions: NYRFANMANI

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here

Yes, and it would actually benefit the Rangers if Kakko was a late bloomer statistically as it would help in a bridge deal down the road

Reactions: Kords

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Clear that Quinn doesn't quite trust him on the defensive side of the puck yet but he's a new man with the puck on his stick and on the forecheck this year. Hounding guys who have the puck, excellent along the boards, and starting to generate opportunities. If you're looking at last year as the baseline he's really done nothing but improve his game across the board this season.

he's also been coming back and making some real good plays defensively. Couple of times last night he made the play that started the breakout by knocking the puck away from an opposing player, etc. If Quinn is gonna get on him for defensive side of things then Quinn needs to cut him slack

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
I don't think I would quite have Miller untouchable.

We have a LOT of defensemen in the pipeline.

But whereas Kakko, Lafreniere etc are untouchable short of McDavid coming back (and that includes Eichel IMO), Miller I would only move in.... like... a package for Eichel.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I don't think I would quite have Miller untouchable.

We have a LOT of defensemen in the pipeline.

But whereas Kakko, Lafreniere etc are untouchable short of McDavid coming back (and that includes Eichel IMO), Miller I would only move in.... like... a package for Eichel.

We have no one like Miller in the pipeline, hell not sure anyone has. He's very unique.

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
We have no one like Miller in the pipeline, hell not sure anyone has. He's very unique.

So is Jack Eichel.

I'm not trying to be dismissive. Just saying, I would guard Miller very jealously. But he's not quite "untouchable."

But again, I need like Barkov or Eichel coming back. Monahan/Lindholm? Naaaah.

Lafreniere is basically untouchable. I am not giving him up for anyone. Except McDavid.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
He will be a stud. As he gets stronger, his skills which rely on winning puck battles and driving to the net will become possible at this level. Patience is the key with him. And he is shooting more which is a great sign.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad