Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupSeeker

Jan 28, 2021
Those 5 are my guess as well.
We would be crazy to trade Schneider at this point either. Not saying he's untouchable, but a RHD with a nasty streak, shut down ability and some offense. He's Trouba with better skating and a higher IQ. It would take alot to move him.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Oh oh... lets speculate...

Laf, Kakko, Fox, Miller... Shesterkin?

Laf, Kakko, Fox and Shesterkin were definites coming into the season, and I suspect (though don't know for certain) that Miller has probably joined that list for them, based on little comments that have trickled out.

So those are your five that, at least to this point, the Rangers will not engage in conversations about unless we are talking about the most extreme circumstances.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
I would hope Fox is untouchable as well. Geeze, what an embarrassment of riches we have. Honestly between all of them, Igor should be the most expendable, and that's more praise for everyone else than criticism of him. Just seems like good goalies are easier to come by for cheaper. Again, NOT advocating i'd wanna move Igor.

Edit: just saw Fox was already listed, my bad!

Last edited:
Reactions: SnowblindNYR

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Laf, Kakko, Fox and Shesterkin were defernites coming into the season, and I suspect (though don't know for certain) that Miller has probably joined that list for them, based on little comments that have trickled out.

So those are your five that, at least to this point, the Rangers will not engage in conversations about unless we are talking about the most extreme circumstances.

Gonna have to be quite the "Quantity for quality" package for Eichel if that's the list. Let alone trying to beat other offers. It's not like Nash who was older and really wanted to come here. You'd have to throw up half the farm- Chytil, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, a first, and then something to offset salary.

IDvsEGO

Oct 11, 2016
Gonna have to be quite the "Quantity for quality" package for Eichel if that's the list. Let alone trying to beat other offers. It's not like Nash who was older and really wanted to come here. You'd have to throw up half the farm- Chytil, Lundkvist, Kravtsov, a first, and then something to offset salary.
Probably more like ada + Strome + lundkvist and Kratsov and multiple picks.

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
I would hope Fox is untouchable as well. Geeze, what an embarrassment of riches we have. Honestly between all of them, Igor should be the most expendable, and that's more praise for everyone else than criticism of him. Just seems like good goalies are easier to come by for cheaper. Again, NOT advocating i'd wanna move Igor.

Edit: just saw Fox was already listed, my bad!
Look at this guy advocating we trade Igor. Jeez.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
And that’s the thing. Where’s the line of demarcation between giving up too much depth and dealing from strength?

The initial parameters seem fair. Chytil, Kravstov, Lundqvist. But salary space will need to be created. Not to mention that once again, and especially with Chytil gone, you are left searching for 2C. And that player is currently not in the system and even if was, would be a ways away.

If ZBad would be reasonable and take less to be a part is something, the devil you know may wind up being the best choice.

Reactions: haveandare

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Probably more like ada + Strome + lundkvist and Kratsov and multiple picks.
2 soon to be UFAs to be will probably not get it done. They would look for someone who steps in and replaces Eichel. And not sure that Groton would want to part with multiple picks. Plus, am not sure that with Dahlin, they desperately need another puck mover.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
Quinn on Kakko's icetime Vince Mercogliano's pregame notes:

"When the game ended, I thought to myself, 'I don’t know if I played Kakko enough,' " Quinn said. "I went and looked at the sheet, and I didn’t. I literally just talked to him (Saturday) about it. I said, 'Listen, that wasn't my intention.' Every now and then, that can happen."

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

"When the game ended, I thought to myself, 'I don’t know if I played Kakko enough,' " Quinn said. "I went and looked at the sheet, and I didn’t. I literally just talked to him (Saturday) about it. I said, 'Listen, that wasn't my intention.' Every now and then, that can happen."

It never happens to Howden though :laugh:

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Reactions: Kaako Kappo

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

Look what happened on the PPs. The entire second unit, Kakko included got like 30 seconds or less out of 6 minutes because the first unit had non stop possession. This isn’t as crazy as it’s being made out to be. It was a super unusual set of circumstances.

Having said that, I’m happy to hear Quinn acknowledge it publicly and am very happy to hear he told Kakko

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago

This is the type of thing you love to read. Great communication between coach and player.

Zats Muccarello

Grinder
Dec 30, 2010
NYC

DQ is genuinely incompetent

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

Howden plays center where they're extremely thin right now and he PKs
Prior to Chytil getting injured he wasn't getting much ES time

Quinn does need to get his head on straight about getting someone like Kakko some more icetime in the end. I get trying to get your top guys going, and having your #1 PP out there almost all the time, and trying to find combos that work, but you can't stuff one of your top propsects in the bottom of the lineup and go "oops"

Reactions: Leetch3

The New Russian Five

May 27, 2019
Howden plays center where they're extremely thin right now and he PKs
Prior to Chytil getting injured he wasn't getting much ES time

Quinn does need to get his head on straight about getting someone like Kakko some more icetime in the end. I get trying to get your top guys going, and having your #1 PP out there almost all the time, and trying to find combos that work, but you can't stuff one of your top propsects in the bottom of the lineup and go "oops"

Quinn also addressed that too. From Vince's article:

Kakko is being featured on the new-look second unit — which will also include Lafrenière, Kreider, Ryan Strome and Jacob Trouba — with Quinn noting he wants them to get a bigger slice of the pie for Saturday's 7 p.m. home game against the Pittsburgh Penguins.

"We didn't see much of a second unit, which will change (Saturday), that's for sure," he said. "I don't mind (the top) unit staying out there if they're going to to be in the (offensive) zone the whole time, but changing quicker is certainly going to be addressed."

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
So i'm sure this has been addressed in other threads, but I dont see it here....So by placing Kakko on the Taxi squad, the Rangers are essentially taking money out of his pocket? 5K a day? This isn't correct is it? The Rangers cant be that f***ing dumb to backhand Kakko like this....A guy already getting shitted on by the Coach now getting money taken away from him so they can save a few bucks with the Cap that doesn't even matter at this point since we are still under it? And I don't care that they are 19 years old Brooks, that should have nothing to do with anything.

But so are the real pay losses incurred by the player(s). Kakko and Byram are each making $832,500 on the NHL level and $70,000 at the AHL. Accounting for NHL escrow withholding, each player loses just under $5,137.93 per day on the taxi squad. Of course, they are 19 years old, too.
https://nypost.com/2021/01/30/penguins-eyeing-rangers-chris-drury-for-general-manager/

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
So i'm sure this has been addressed in other threads, but I dont see it here....So by placing Kakko on the Taxi squad, the Rangers are essentially taking money out of his pocket? 5K a day? This isn't correct is it? The Rangers cant be that f***ing dumb to backhand Kakko like this....A guy already getting shitted on by the Coach now getting money taken away from him so they can save a few bucks with the Cap that doesn't even matter at this point since we are still under it? And I don't care that they are 19 years old Brooks, that should have nothing to do with anything.

https://nypost.com/2021/01/30/penguins-eyeing-rangers-chris-drury-for-general-manager/

Yes, he loses money, yes it's f***ed up. Now you see why players might request trades and hold out during contracts

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

This all depends on whether or not players get paid based on games or on a daily basis.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
So each off day, Kakko is essentially losing 5K? Game days he is obviously back off the Taxi Roster and making his normal pay?

Yes. Every day he isn't on the team, he earns his AHL salary, which is capped at 70k on a full season for each ELC.

A salary is based on a 180-day season. Here are the numbers for Lafreniere, Kakko and Miller

NHL Base salary = $832,500
AHL Base salary = $70,000

The difference is $762,500

Divide that by 180 days and you get a deduction of $4,236.11 per day (before tax) for being on the taxi squad/in the AHL

Blackwell is on a 1-way deal, so his AHL salary is the same, his pay isn't affected.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
He will be a stud. As he gets stronger, his skills which rely on winning puck battles and driving to the net will become possible at this level. Patience is the key with him. And he is shooting more which is a great sign.

Shooting more..more like his shot is getting off more. Last year (Chytil has this problem too) he telegraphed his shot so defensemen always had their stick in the lane so it either blocked/deflected or took all the mustard out. He seems to have shortened his release a bit and its allowing him to get his shots through. Matthews would be a great player for him to watch tape on to get various releases to keep defenders and goalies guessing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yes. Every day he isn't on the team, he earns his AHL salary, which is capped at 70k on a full season for each ELC.

A salary is based on a 180-day season. Here are the numbers for Lafreniere, Kakko and Miller

NHL Base salary = $832,500
AHL Base salary = $70,000

The difference is $762,500

Divide that by 180 days and you get a deduction of $4,236.11 per day (before tax) for being on the taxi squad/in the AHL

Blackwell is on a 1-way deal, so his AHL salary is the same, his pay isn't affected.
That's so messed up. NYR are really starving that much to save that 4-5K a day? I'm sure Kakko is thrilled.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad