Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
As far as adjusting to the smaller rink goes, it seems to me like Kakko has needed to learn how to use his teammates better to create space for himself on the ice. Some of that is surely about developing chemistry. Some of it is about playing with players who can contribute (ie. not Howden). And some of it is just Kakko, who until the game against Buffalo, seemed either to hold the puck too long and corner himself, or to drift away to untenable (if open) positions without it. He, Chytil, and PDG seem to work well by making very short touch plays off the wall, behind the net, and towards the crease on the cycle. Chytil set up Kakko for the goal, but earlier in the game PDG fed Chytil in almost an identical play and Quick made probably his best save of the night on it. Both plays were preceded by sub-five foot chip passes between two players (Kaako to PDG, PDG to Chytil).

I'm not concerned with Kakko's analytics because the Rangers as a whole have had trash analytics and because until this line was formed with PDG, I had yet to see Kakko find himself on a unit that worked and with two players he could learn to work with. He's obviously supremely talented. He's produced really well on the PP. His goals, for the most part, have been deserved, and would've been botched by lesser players. And at 18, he's shown that he can be almost unmanageable for NHL defensemen down low when he can find ways to keep his feet moving.

I don't love the comparisons to Svech because not only are they really different players, Svech jumped onto a team that has maintained fantastic play-driving numbers as a whole, and was in reality much, much closer to playoff contention than we were when we added Kaapo. They finished 10th in the East IIRC when they won the lottery. They were a good team with horrific goaltending. It's not really comparable situations IMO.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
It was exactly my point that Laine also looked exhausted in the beginning of the season, and actually got progressively better as the season went on.

Which isn't really what is happening with Kakko. Kakko has merely had spurts of improved play and then levels out again fairly quickly. Laine never looked physically exhausted like Kakko has during his rookie year. I don't even think they are close in that regard.

No need to excuse Kakko's bad conditioning. That's one of the easier things to improve.

Reactions: LOFIN

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
agreed, he does in deed buy himself some time with his stick handling stabilizes and creativity...however, he takes a second or two too long to make the final decision of what to do with the puck.....and when he pulls the trigger to pass or shoot, the opposing player has gotten on him and has killed the play in one fashion or another
This is accurate.

Reactions: haveandare

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He as he's said is getting used to the smaller rink.

If you watched him in Europe last year it's not fair to expect him to be able to do the same in the NHL st 18y.
It takes a bit of time to build up the strength for it, on top of getting used to the rink.

Still having said that expected him to hit at least 35-40.

Reactions: Gardner McKay

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Don't really care what his stat line looks like at the end of the year as long as his play keeps trending upwards and he uses that to spring board to kicking ass next season.

Reactions: jas

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
I see a major lack of confidence in him.

Which is to be expected - hes 18 and has never been on a losing team (like Jack Hughes), so that alone is a major stepping stone.

Add to this he is European with broken english in the worlds most daunting city for newcomers - he probably is mentally shot.

From the Devils, Pavel Zacha is that example for us. Kaapo wont take as long because he isnt being bounced out of the lineup every other game - but Zacha had no confidence and very much missed his family. Now Pavel is stepping into his own and showing that confidence

Kakko will be just fine. In some ways its better he struggles on a team somewhat out of it (realistically speaking), because thatd be even more pressure and would attack his confidence more to know he cant help nearly as much as he has in his career thus far (carrying teams and clutching games).

Pitaya

Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier
Dec 14, 2019
As far as adjusting to the smaller rink goes, it seems to me like Kakko has needed to learn how to use his teammates better to create space for himself on the ice. Some of that is surely about developing chemistry. Some of it is about playing with players who can contribute (ie. not Howden). And some of it is just Kakko, who until the game against Buffalo, seemed either to hold the puck too long and corner himself, or to drift away to untenable (if open) positions without it. He, Chytil, and PDG seem to work well by making very short touch plays off the wall, behind the net, and towards the crease on the cycle. Chytil set up Kakko for the goal, but earlier in the game PDG fed Chytil in almost an identical play and Quick made probably his best save of the night on it. Both plays were preceded by sub-five foot chip passes between two players (Kaako to PDG, PDG to Chytil).

I'm not concerned with Kakko's analytics because the Rangers as a whole have had trash analytics and because until this line was formed with PDG, I had yet to see Kakko find himself on a unit that worked and with two players he could learn to work with. He's obviously supremely talented. He's produced really well on the PP. His goals, for the most part, have been deserved, and would've been botched by lesser players. And at 18, he's shown that he can be almost unmanageable for NHL defensemen down low when he can find ways to keep his feet moving.

I don't love the comparisons to Svech because not only are they really different players, Svech jumped onto a team that has maintained fantastic play-driving numbers as a whole, and was in reality much, much closer to playoff contention than we were when we added Kaapo. They finished 10th in the East IIRC when they won the lottery. They were a good team with horrific goaltending. It's not really comparable situations IMO.
The single biggest adjustment for players going from international ice to NA ice - is the inability to do as much by yourself anymore

He will most certainly figure that out on the ice, its the mental battle you hope doesnt take much longer

Reactions: haveandare

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
Kakko has played a crap ton of hockey over the past year. He obviously needs a rest, and I think having a full off-season and NHL campaign under his belt will do him wonders.

Shhh. Don't say isht like that.

The last time a phrase like that was uttered 'round here, the guy marched home to Sweden on his puffy paws.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
I'd be happy if he was taking more one timers from the circle like in Finland.
We need more than one Lefty on the 1 PP

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Don't really care what his stat line looks like at the end of the year as long as his play keeps trending upwards and he uses that to spring board to kicking ass next season.

Exactly totally agree. Ever since the last Islander game this has been the best stretch of hockey Kakko has played in a Ranger unie.

I've said this a zillion times and I'll say it again once he has an intense off season training regimen where he can work on his skating, strength and stamina, Kakko will come into training camp next year a totally different guy...there is no question in my mind about this.

He'll have a ton more confidence, he'll shoot the puck more, he won't be gassed on pretty much every shift after 20-30 seconds and his game will start to resemble what we all saw at the Worlds when he was so dominant and impressive.

Unlike Kravstsov, I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about Kakko. Heck, hopefully Kravtsov will join Kakko in the same off season training regimen so he can come into camp next year ready to rock and roll as well...:nod:

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009

I'd like to print this out and hand it to everyone I know that's complaining about Kakko.

The only thing I can tell them is to remember being 13 years old and trying to play whatever sport with 17-18 year olds. It's hard. You sucked. Same thing.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Missing the net a lot from good areas. Also I don't think he's taken a slapshot all season lol.

upload_2020-2-14_2-54-16.png

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
"Kakko hasn’t been good this season, but there’s still reason to be optimistic about his performance. A rookie having that level of puck possession ability — even though it’s not maximized yet — is rare. Even rarer are players with Kakko’s combination of hands, vision, and physicality in addition to all the flash, smarts, and more. The players with similar toolkits are generally high-end NHLers. To get there, a little bit of speed will help, but more assertiveness will drive improvement.

A path to stardom is still evident; Kakko’s toolkit is firmly among the best in the NHL. It comes down to execution. Some never figure it out, but I’m confident Kakko will."

The Video Room: Breaking down Kaapo Kakko's struggles this...

Fugazy

Brick by Brick
Jun 1, 2014
New York
"Kakko hasn’t been good this season, but there’s still reason to be optimistic about his performance. A rookie having that level of puck possession ability — even though it’s not maximized yet — is rare. Even rarer are players with Kakko’s combination of hands, vision, and physicality in addition to all the flash, smarts, and more. The players with similar toolkits are generally high-end NHLers. To get there, a little bit of speed will help, but more assertiveness will drive improvement.

A path to stardom is still evident; Kakko’s toolkit is firmly among the best in the NHL. It comes down to execution. Some never figure it out, but I’m confident Kakko will."

The Video Room: Breaking down Kaapo Kakko's struggles this...

Well, yeah. He's barely 19 and hasn't even grown into his body yet. He has all the tools and will put it together sooner rather than later.

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
His age is definitely showing. Every time he misses the net, a pass, doesn't score a tap in or gets knocked down he is always shaking his head with disappointment. He's constantly beating himself up mentally and I think he's hung up on a lot of these instances. He's not playing with confidence at all. When he matures a bit and works hard in the off seasons he's gonna take off.

I love how he's insulated and not put in a position to fail. I think the Rangers are doing the right thing. Maybe he takes a 2nd line spot next year and 1st line spot the year after that. Let him graduate upwards. So many players get rushed and scared off or put in a sink or swim environment. It's not good for the player at all.

Might be the greatest strike of luck the Rangers have had in a long while. No Complaints here.

motopanekeku

abnormally high
Aug 23, 2009
His age is definitely showing. Every time he misses the net, a pass, doesn't score a tap in or gets knocked down he is always shaking his head with disappointment. He's constantly beating himself up mentally and I think he's hung up on a lot of these instances. He's not playing with confidence at all. When he matures a bit and works hard in the off seasons he's gonna take off.

I love how he's insulated and not put in a position to fail. I think the Rangers are doing the right thing. Maybe he takes a 2nd line spot next year and 1st line spot the year after that. Let him graduate upwards. So many players get rushed and scared off or put in a sink or swim environment. It's not good for the player at all.

Might be the greatest strike of luck the Rangers have had in a long while. No Complaints here.
His ability to penetrate and work off the opposition will improve with age. Already his vision for open ice has improved but he's playing scared because of all the grown ass men trying to take him out lol. His shot will improve when he feels confident with the space and time he creates for himself.

I do feel for the little buddy every time he skates to the bench shaking his head all demoralized lol.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Already his vision for open ice has improved but he's playing scared because of all the grown ass men trying to take him out lol.
This. Aside from the obvious ways strength will help him get to the meatier parts of the ice with possession, once he's stronger he won't have to be as concerned with getting pushed around and won't have that constantly weighing on him in the back of his head. He'll play looser and better all over the ice.

Reactions: motopanekeku

mas0764

Jul 16, 2005
Hopefully he improves his skating in the offseason too.

The Rangers should be pushing that for him.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

MetalJaws

Mar 12, 2014
His ability to penetrate and work off the opposition will improve with age. Already his vision for open ice has improved but he's playing scared because of all the grown ass men trying to take him out lol. His shot will improve when he feels confident with the space and time he creates for himself.

I do feel for the little buddy every time he skates to the bench shaking his head all demoralized lol.

It's almost every shift. I hope for a Svechnikov like emergence next year but I'll surely settle for a Barkov Esq 2nd season.

Both are fine by me!

Reactions: motopanekeku
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad