Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Discussion in 'New York Rangers' started by aufheben, Feb 8, 2020.

1. TheDirtyH Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    As far as adjusting to the smaller rink goes, it seems to me like Kakko has needed to learn how to use his teammates better to create space for himself on the ice. Some of that is surely about developing chemistry. Some of it is about playing with players who can contribute (ie. not Howden). And some of it is just Kakko, who until the game against Buffalo, seemed either to hold the puck too long and corner himself, or to drift away to untenable (if open) positions without it. He, Chytil, and PDG seem to work well by making very short touch plays off the wall, behind the net, and towards the crease on the cycle. Chytil set up Kakko for the goal, but earlier in the game PDG fed Chytil in almost an identical play and Quick made probably his best save of the night on it. Both plays were preceded by sub-five foot chip passes between two players (Kaako to PDG, PDG to Chytil).

I'm not concerned with Kakko's analytics because the Rangers as a whole have had trash analytics and because until this line was formed with PDG, I had yet to see Kakko find himself on a unit that worked and with two players he could learn to work with. He's obviously supremely talented. He's produced really well on the PP. His goals, for the most part, have been deserved, and would've been botched by lesser players. And at 18, he's shown that he can be almost unmanageable for NHL defensemen down low when he can find ways to keep his feet moving.

I don't love the comparisons to Svech because not only are they really different players, Svech jumped onto a team that has maintained fantastic play-driving numbers as a whole, and was in reality much, much closer to playoff contention than we were when we added Kaapo. They finished 10th in the East IIRC when they won the lottery. They were a good team with horrific goaltending. It's not really comparable situations IMO.

2. Hunter Gathers you look alive like there's color inside

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    corporate drone
    Which isn't really what is happening with Kakko. Kakko has merely had spurts of improved play and then levels out again fairly quickly. Laine never looked physically exhausted like Kakko has during his rookie year. I don't even think they are close in that regard.

No need to excuse Kakko's bad conditioning. That's one of the easier things to improve.

LOFIN likes this.
  3. KappoTheGoat "Kaapo 3x gold Kakko"

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This is accurate.

haveandare likes this.
  4. BB88 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    He as he's said is getting used to the smaller rink.

If you watched him in Europe last year it's not fair to expect him to be able to do the same in the NHL st 18y.
    It takes a bit of time to build up the strength for it, on top of getting used to the rink.

Still having said that expected him to hit at least 35-40.

Gardner McKay likes this.
  5. GoAwayStaal 20 Foot Player Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Ayatollah of Pylons
    Don't really care what his stat line looks like at the end of the year as long as his play keeps trending upwards and he uses that to spring board to kicking ass next season.

jas likes this.
  6. Swiss Prodigy Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I see a major lack of confidence in him.

Which is to be expected - hes 18 and has never been on a losing team (like Jack Hughes), so that alone is a major stepping stone.

Add to this he is European with broken english in the worlds most daunting city for newcomers - he probably is mentally shot.

From the Devils, Pavel Zacha is that example for us. Kaapo wont take as long because he isnt being bounced out of the lineup every other game - but Zacha had no confidence and very much missed his family. Now Pavel is stepping into his own and showing that confidence

Kakko will be just fine. In some ways its better he struggles on a team somewhat out of it (realistically speaking), because thatd be even more pressure and would attack his confidence more to know he cant help nearly as much as he has in his career thus far (carrying teams and clutching games).

7. Swiss Prodigy Prince of the Alps, Nico Hischier Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    The single biggest adjustment for players going from international ice to NA ice - is the inability to do as much by yourself anymore

He will most certainly figure that out on the ice, its the mental battle you hope doesnt take much longer

haveandare likes this.
  8. White Death 24 former: x beukeboom x Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I do the little things.
    Shhh. Don't say isht like that.

The last time a phrase like that was uttered 'round here, the guy marched home to Sweden on his puffy paws.

9. Chytilmania Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'd be happy if he was taking more one timers from the circle like in Finland.
    We need more than one Lefty on the 1 PP

10. Maximus Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Multimedia Marketing Executive
    Exactly totally agree. Ever since the last Islander game this has been the best stretch of hockey Kakko has played in a Ranger unie.

I've said this a zillion times and I'll say it again once he has an intense off season training regimen where he can work on his skating, strength and stamina, Kakko will come into training camp next year a totally different guy...there is no question in my mind about this.

He'll have a ton more confidence, he'll shoot the puck more, he won't be gassed on pretty much every shift after 20-30 seconds and his game will start to resemble what we all saw at the Worlds when he was so dominant and impressive.

Unlike Kravstsov, I have absolutely no concerns whatsoever about Kakko. Heck, hopefully Kravtsov will join Kakko in the same off season training regimen so he can come into camp next year ready to rock and roll as well...:nod:

11. lemonybergamot Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,168,241
    Happy Birthday to Kakko. Grand old age of 19.

I'm waiting for him to shoot more.

NYRFANMANI and KirkAlbuquerque like this.
  12. motopanekeku abnormally high

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I'd like to print this out and hand it to everyone I know that's complaining about Kakko.

The only thing I can tell them is to remember being 13 years old and trying to play whatever sport with 17-18 year olds. It's hard. You sucked. Same thing.

13. aufheben #Panarin4Hart

SB Cash:
    $ 2,064,449
    Missing the net a lot from good areas. Also I don't think he's taken a slapshot all season lol.

upload_2020-2-14_2-54-16.png

14. egelband Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Media
    upload_2020-2-23_12-52-20.jpeg

Nickmo82 and bl02 like this.
  15. UnSandvich Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    "Kakko hasn’t been good this season, but there’s still reason to be optimistic about his performance. A rookie having that level of puck possession ability — even though it’s not maximized yet — is rare. Even rarer are players with Kakko’s combination of hands, vision, and physicality in addition to all the flash, smarts, and more. The players with similar toolkits are generally high-end NHLers. To get there, a little bit of speed will help, but more assertiveness will drive improvement.

A path to stardom is still evident; Kakko’s toolkit is firmly among the best in the NHL. It comes down to execution. Some never figure it out, but I’m confident Kakko will."

The Video Room: Breaking down Kaapo Kakko's struggles this...

16. Fugazy Brick by Brick

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Well, yeah. He's barely 19 and hasn't even grown into his body yet. He has all the tools and will put it together sooner rather than later.

17. klingsor Registered User Sponsor

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
  18. MetalJaws Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    His age is definitely showing. Every time he misses the net, a pass, doesn't score a tap in or gets knocked down he is always shaking his head with disappointment. He's constantly beating himself up mentally and I think he's hung up on a lot of these instances. He's not playing with confidence at all. When he matures a bit and works hard in the off seasons he's gonna take off.

I love how he's insulated and not put in a position to fail. I think the Rangers are doing the right thing. Maybe he takes a 2nd line spot next year and 1st line spot the year after that. Let him graduate upwards. So many players get rushed and scared off or put in a sink or swim environment. It's not good for the player at all.

Might be the greatest strike of luck the Rangers have had in a long while. No Complaints here.

19. motopanekeku abnormally high

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    His ability to penetrate and work off the opposition will improve with age. Already his vision for open ice has improved but he's playing scared because of all the grown ass men trying to take him out lol. His shot will improve when he feels confident with the space and time he creates for himself.

I do feel for the little buddy every time he skates to the bench shaking his head all demoralized lol.

leetch99 and MetalJaws like this.
  20. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    This. Aside from the obvious ways strength will help him get to the meatier parts of the ice with possession, once he's stronger he won't have to be as concerned with getting pushed around and won't have that constantly weighing on him in the back of his head. He'll play looser and better all over the ice.

motopanekeku likes this.
  21. mschmidt64 Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Hopefully he improves his skating in the offseason too.

The Rangers should be pushing that for him.

KappoTheGoat likes this.
  22. romba Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    They will, that's 1A and 1B is strength and conditioning. They go hand in hand.

leetch99 likes this.
  23. True Blue Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    Home Page:
    I cannot see him making the jump to being a 50-60 point player next year.

leetch99 likes this.
  24. MetalJaws Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    It's almost every shift. I hope for a Svechnikov like emergence next year but I'll surely settle for a Barkov Esq 2nd season.

Both are fine by me!

motopanekeku likes this.
  25. LionsHeart Registered User

SB Cash:
    $ 1,200,000
    I believe in Kakko.