Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
The Athletic article about him was a fair description of what he's done this season. His game has flaws obviously but there's also a lot to be excited about. I hope he can improve his skating a bit but like the article says but being a speedster who gets separation and attacks off the rush really isn't his game. Although the parts about the inefficiency of his skating stride were interesting and I'm sure something the Rangers are going to help him address. He just needs to make better decisions off the cycle and choosing when and how to attack the net, when to pass to a teammate, when to shoot (and shoot faster).

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Yes, but hope springs eternal.

I am in no way comparing Kakko to Messier but Messier had 12 goals and 21 assists in 75 games in 79-80 and 23 goals and 41 assists in 72 games in 80-81.

Mark Messier Hockey Stats and Profile at hockeydb.com
Does it not always?

Considering where he is now, if Kakko can get to 35 points next year that would be a big step. 40 in the wildest of the wild projections. So split the baby and call it 35-37?

duhmetreE

Blessed Bigly
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2012
It all depends on how much he progresses in an off-season and if that progression warrants him time in the top6 and PP1.

I see scenarios where his points range between 35-70pts. Hopefully he has Svechnikov-type growth sophomore season.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
the good thing is that he's not one of those players that you look at and think "what does he do well? He's just kind of there." He's not just some vanilla player. He has some very clear stand out abilities (his hands, his puck control/protection). But he also has some very stand out weaknesses (skating, stamina, holding the puck too long). So theres some real good clay to work with he just needs to focus on his weaknesses and that will take an offseason.

Row I Goon

Nov 14, 2018
Question. Would you rather have had Hughes?

Jack Hughes | #86

C | 5' 11" | 170 lb | Age: 18 | New Jersey Devils
2019-2020 Regular Season

GPGAP+/-
5871421-24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
There really is no reason to be worried, i am ofc a little bit dissapointed in my own unrealistic expectations, but i have only myself to blame for it. When Kakko matures abit and gets improvements in skating and shooting, watch out!

CaptTennille

President of the Blair Betts Fan Club
May 24, 2017
Brooklyn
So after watching Kakko in person a few times this season, IMO his skating and pace of play looked WAYYY better last night as opposed to earlier this season. He was on his toes more and thus his acceleration was more apparent.

If you watch his Liiga highlights, he was definitely guilty of "anchoring" his ankles to the ice to try and pull attackers to him so he had the option to juke them to either side. Obviously this doesn't work nearly as much at the NHL level where the second a puck is on your stick a 220lb man is 1.5 seconds away from running you over, so he's clearly had to rewire some of his unconscious tendencies he's developed over the years. I wasn't concerned about his future development going into last night's game, and I am even less so after watching his decision making in person.

If anything, I'm more concerned that he refuses to use a higher flex stick. I can watch "The Irishman" in the time it takes him to get shots off sometimes.

Reactions: KappoTheGoat

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Yes.

High end centers are harder to find than high end wingers.
Are they? I keep hearing this narrative but 10 of the top 18 scorers are centers. 4 are Left Wingers, and 4 are Right Wingers.

High end players tent to play the center position maybe a bit more but I don't think they are a rare breed compared to a high end winger.

Reactions: Leetch3 and SA16

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Question. Would you rather have had Hughes?

Jack Hughes | #86

C | 5' 11" | 170 lb | Age: 18 | New Jersey Devils
2019-2020 Regular Season

GPGAP+/-
5871421-24
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Yes, and I’m one of the only ones on here who wanted Hughes over Kakko. IIRC Kakko won a poll of who we’d rather have before the draft lottery even happened. That’s his Tinder height though no way Jack is 5’11.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yes.

High end centers are harder to find than high end wingers.
Hughes also plays on a far worse team, has a better shot than KK, better speed and agility than KK, and higher hockey IQ than KK. So yes: Hughes 11 times out of 10.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yes, and I’m one of the only ones on here who wanted Hughes over Kakko. IIRC Kakko won a poll of who we’d rather have before the draft lottery even happened. That’s his Tinder height though no way Jack is 5’11.
It’s called cognitive dissonance. “Devils will pick Hughes, but that’s okay because I didn’t want him anyway. Kakko is much better.”

Reactions: MyLoveIsBlue

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
G
So after watching Kakko in person a few times this season, IMO his skating and pace of play looked WAYYY better last night as opposed to earlier this season. He was on his toes more and thus his acceleration was more apparent.

If you watch his Liiga highlights, he was definitely guilty of "anchoring" his ankles to the ice to try and pull attackers to him so he had the option to juke them to either side. Obviously this doesn't work nearly as much at the NHL level where the second a puck is on your stick a 220lb man is 1.5 seconds away from running you over, so he's clearly had to rewire some of his unconscious tendencies he's developed over the years. I wasn't concerned about his future development going into last night's game, and I am even less so after watching his decision making in person.

If anything, I'm more concerned that he refuses to use a higher flex stick. I can watch "The Irishman" in the time it takes him to get shots off sometimes.
Good post sir.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
You're definitely not the only one who wanted Hughes over kakko
Both @Edge and myself were pretty heavy on the Hughes over kakko train. I really like the glimpses I'm getting from kakko. He's been about as meh as Hughes has been this year.. but I'd still take Hughes 10x out of 10

Reactions: Edge
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad