Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Yeah, this is something people seem to forget. His Liiga season started in July, ended in March, with trips to Canada, Russia, Germany, Belarus, Sweden for different games / tournaments as well, then Euro Hockey Challenge in April, Euro Hockey Tour in May, World Championship in June, followed by the draft. He didn't even have time to attend the combine because he won the WC. Then prospect camp in July, training camp in August, with Traverse City and Pre season in September, NHL season starting early October and all the way through to March. 21 months of hockey with barely a week here or there to rest.

Oh, and based on my calculations 12 trans Atlantic flights in that span. And it definitely affects a player. Ask Erik Karlsson who played an NHL game in Sweden. He said in an interview it affected them for a while. Kakko was, in most cases, the only one om his team making these trips so the rest of his team (TPS, Rangers) weren't affected by this.

Yesterday was a great sign of things to come

Sweet breakdown AK....well done. Ridiculous how much hockey he played combined with all that travel...bonkers!

A rested and rejuvenated Kakko is a "dangerous" Kakko. Canes better not sleep on him...just saying!...:nod:

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I dunno Rage, your being quite a bit more accepting of Kakko than I am. Kakko better become a perennial 30-35 goal 75-80 point guy down the road otherwise, he won't have lived up to his 2nd overall status in my book. Now when I say down the road, I'm not talking next year or even the year after....he only just turned 19!

I'm talking that when Kakko is in that 22-23 year old range, with his skill and expected continued development, he damn better be potting 30+ goals a year and over 70 points a year otherwise personally, I'd be wondering what happened with him?....lol.

That said, I'm comfortable and confident that I'll end up being right about Kakko and 3 years down the road those #'s I mention will be attainable and reached by him. For now and I said it on the post game thread, this Kakko that I saw last night...this new rejuvenated Kakko, I don't see any reason whatsoever that next season he can't approach the 20-25 goal 20-25 assist....45-50 point plateau. I think that's a reasonable and realistic goal for this newly engaged Kakko as he should have no problem taking that next step next season.

In the meantime, we have a playoff series to deal with and I want too see Kakko make an impact vs the Canes. The Kakko I saw vs the Islanders certainly should provide some impactful and important plays which is NOT something myself or any of us could have been confident of pre-covid.

I don't know that accepting is the word I would use. I'm happy that he is more noticeable now although I thought he was coming on those last few games before the break.

I just want to see him break towards the net and not be on the perimeter so much. He was a force driving to the net on bigger ice. He needs to figure out how to get in better scoring position against bigger, faster, and better players in the NHL. He's only 19. He will only get stronger and better. How much better is tbd.

Reactions: McSauer

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
Yeah, this is something people seem to forget. His Liiga season started in July, ended in March, with trips to Canada, Russia, Germany, Belarus, Sweden for different games / tournaments as well, then Euro Hockey Challenge in April, Euro Hockey Tour in May, World Championship in June, followed by the draft. He didn't even have time to attend the combine because he won the WC. Then prospect camp in July, training camp in August, with Traverse City and Pre season in September, NHL season starting early October and all the way through to March. 21 months of hockey with barely a week here or there to rest.

Oh, and based on my calculations 12 trans Atlantic flights in that span. And it definitely affects a player. Ask Erik Karlsson who played an NHL game in Sweden. He said in an interview it affected them for a while. Kakko was, in most cases, the only one om his team making these trips so the rest of his team (TPS, Rangers) weren't affected by this.

Yesterday was a great sign of things to come

I was watching the Blackhawks feed last night before their game, they profiled Dach and laid out the exact same argument for him lol. I actually didn't watch much of the game itself but Dach ended up with 2 assists. And Kakko looked way better last night He actually called for and let rip a one timer, didn't even know he was able to do that. So maybe theres something to all that. We'll see how he plays when the games matter.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
I was watching the Blackhawks feed last night before their game, they profiled Dach and laid out the exact same argument for him lol. I actually didn't watch much of the game itself but Dach ended up with 2 assists. And Kakko looked way better last night He actually called for and let rip a one timer, didn't even know he was able to do that. So maybe theres something to all that. We'll see how he plays when the games matter.

Yeah and I said it a few times, I almost thought for a crazy 5 seconds that Kakko morphed into Ovie as he was shooting the puck at the net like he had no worries in the world. It was glorious to see....lol

In all seriousness, Kakko and I said this a few times past day or so in different threads here on our board, looked like a guy who spent the covid break to improve on everything we all saw he needed too improve upon. He looked a bit bigger and stronger, he looked like he had more burst for loose pucks, he looked quicker and faster, he looked unafraid shooting the puck at any time and he looked like he easily could keep up with his linemates as far as skating is concerned. He actually looked dangerous on the ice which pre-covid was something I rarely saw.

He basically looked like a guy who was refreshed and ready too show why he deserved too be the #2 if not #1 overall pick in the draft last year and is out to prove a point that the pre-covid Kakko was an impostor and that this new Kakko is here to stay and will be getting better and better.....lol

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

Dach may not have had the same brutal traveling, but yeah. Dach has had the same crazy summer last year. The 3-4 months "off" really help these kids after a summer where they go from draft to prospect development camp, to summer showcase, to traverse city, to pre-season followed by, in Dach, Hughes and Kakko's case, a full season in the NHL. It's absolutely affecting their performance and they were 18-year olds

Reactions: Maximus

Zub

Nov 7, 2015
Helsinki
With Fast unlikely to get re-signed he is setting himself up for that spot. Actually the one shift the Panarin played with Chytil and Kakko they looked really good. All three are good possession players.
I noticed that every time Kakko got put on with Panarin they looked instantly good, it would be nice for Quinn to realise the obvious here.

Reactions: McSauer

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Well at least he looks improved.
Yeah he was very good again today. Had some shifts where he wore out his d man and played keep away very effectively. Looked like he did in Europe, which is very encouraging. Even when he had good moments throughout the year, he didn’t really look like he figured out how to play his game and translate it to the NHL until these last few games

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
He looks like a totally different player. I’m beyond surprised. The hustle, the composure, the strength, the control ... now he’s starting to remind me of the guy I heard so much about.

Reactions: Leetch3

broadwayblue

Mar 4, 2004
NYC
He looks like a totally different player. I’m beyond surprised. The hustle, the composure, the strength, the control ... now he’s starting to remind me of the guy I heard so much about.

He was/is still really young. So few players can make the transition to the NHL seamlessly...even those picked at the very top of the draft. Give him a year or two to fill out, learn the NA game, and hopefully we'll have something special to watch.

Chytilmania

Dec 31, 2017
Kakko was statistically one of the worst players in the NHL this year.

Since the break, in the 3 games he's been EASILY the rangers best player.

That's either really good news...or really bad news

I guess I'm this case both?
I'm not worried about guys like Panarin and Zib in the long run so I'll take it as a good. We got to play competitive hockey and both DQ and the team have a lot to learn from this. Whether or not we have Strome, having Kakko on the 2nd pair with Panarin should be fantastic.
Then I think Chytil and Gaut could be solid with Fast on the 3rd. It's not looking too bad but can't see us doing well with Krav on that 3rd line and we'd be wasting him on the 4th.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Kakko and Svec are similar.

Both are franchise type power forwards in the making, it takes few years for them to grow to be able to fully play their game.

Like Rantanen did, when he turns it on nobody takes the puck away from him

Reactions: EdJovanovski
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: