Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
Eichel was the guy on Buffalo from the start, their target on pp's, Matthews other winger was Nylander who was considered one of the top prospects with years of AHL/SHL experience.
Laine played with superior linemates than Kakko.

Kakko is neither getting minutes or a role with good players, all of the ones I mentioned atleast got 1 out of 2. He's getting zero support from the managent.

Confidence is everything for young players. You sure as hell don't want to hear them talk about how hard hockey is this early.
How’d that work out for Buffalo? Matthews played like 17/18 minutes a night through his whole ELC (and I’ve got a hunch you’d be singing the same tune if Kakko was playing with Andersson and Kravtsov)

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
You know, there's a nagging question lost in all of this back-and-forth about Kakko...

If his conditioning is not up to speed, and a casual visual observation would say there's probably a degree of truth to that, then why the hell wasn't this a strategic focus over the last three months?

The Rangers have talked about immersing kids in the organization, and surrounding them with resources that check-in on their emotional and physical development. So one would think that Kakko is priority numero uno, even if the Rangers don't have their full system yet in place.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
You know, there's a nagging question lost in all of this back-and-forth about Kakko...

If his conditioning is not up to speed, and a casual visual observation would say there's probably a degree of truth to that, then why the hell wasn't this a strategic focus over the last three months?

The Rangers have talked about immersing kids in the organization, and surrounding them with resources that check-in on their emotional and physical development. So one would think that Kakko is priority numero uno, even if the Rangers don't have their full system yet in place.

@Edge Would you consider sending him down to work on that and get his confidence up?

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005

Personally I see a player who needs some long term work on his skating but not a player with conditioning issues. He's been ok, not great, but ok in the corners.

Honestly Kakko just looks a little tentative. He looks like he's afraid of making a mistake. He doesn't shoot enough but the crazier thing is he doesn't even pass enough, he holds onto the puck looking for a play that won't jam the team up. I don't know if its Quinn telling him to worry more about playing the game "the right way" than generating offense or if Kakko is just worried about screwing up.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Personally I see a player who needs some long term work on his skating but not a player with conditioning issues. He's been ok, not great, but ok in the corners.

Honestly Kakko just looks a little tentative. He looks like he's afraid of making a mistake. He doesn't shoot enough but the crazier thing is he doesn't even pass enough, he holds onto the puck looking for a play that won't jam the team up. I don't know if its Quinn telling him to worry more about playing the game "the right way" than generating offense or if Kakko is just worried about screwing up.

I think I'd be more concerned if I was seeing his peers blow past him thus far. To me, flaws and all, he looks like an 18 year old kid playing against the greatest collection of hockey players in the world. He hasn't looked great, but he hasn't looked different than the very best of his peers either.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
I think I'd be more concerned if I was seeing his peers blow past him thus far. To me, flaws and all, he looks like an 18 year old kid playing against the greatest collection of hockey players in the world. He hasn't looked great, but he hasn't looked different than the very best of his peers either.

I wouldn't say I am concerned about him, well anymore than this whole rebuild effort concerns me in general anyway.

But when it comes to improving physically, skating is the only thing that stands out to me. If we are luckily he can turn his average speed into an asset like John Tavares did.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
Hughes gets immense amounts of #1PP time. Indeed, he even gets less than Kakko on even strength. That's not the problem most people have with Kakko's usage.Very ironic statement. I believe every player should be held to the same standard in terms of accountability. Question for you: Why is Kreider not getting sub 10min?
Because despite an awful start Kreider has somewhat improved lately and he can at least do some good carrying the puck. Kreider might be a part of the problem but he's still playing like an NHL player. Plus he's ok on the #1 PP which gives him extra minutes. I might not be Kreider's biggest fan but I have no problem with him currently playing more than Kakko. Kakko might have improved a bit but I don't think he could keep up with Zib and Panarin at the moment.

Kakko doesn't have to play 1st line minutes to develop and the occasional benching, or even a healthy scratch or two won't harm him in any way. It might hurt peoples fantasy teams or calder trophy bragging rights though.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Eichel was the guy on Buffalo from the start, their target on pp's, Matthews other winger was Nylander who was considered one of the top prospects with years of AHL/SHL experience.
Laine played with superior linemates than Kakko.

Kakko is neither getting minutes or a role with good players, all of the ones I mentioned atleast got 1 out of 2. He's getting zero support from the managent.

Confidence is everything for young players. You sure as hell don't want to hear them talk about how hard hockey is this early.

Nylander was a 19 year old who had never played in the NHL before. I am reasonably confident he was not better at 19 in his first week than Kreider is right now.

Hughes gets immense amounts of #1PP time. Indeed, he even gets less than Kakko on even strength. That's not the problem most people have with Kakko's usage.Very ironic statement. I believe every player should be held to the same standard in terms of accountability. Question for you: Why is Kreider not getting sub 10min?

No he does not. Hughes gets PP1 time because Hischier is injured. He was not on the PP1 prior to that. He played 1:07 on the PP with Taylor Hall the first 5 games. If Panarin, Kreider, or Buchnevich got hurt then Kakko would obviously move on to the PP1 as well.

The reason Kreider is not getting under 10 minutes may have something to do with the fact that he has a track record and has scored at a 50+ point rate 3 years in a row.

Last edited:

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I wouldn't say I am concerned about him, well anymore than this whole rebuild effort concerns me in general anyway.

But when it comes to improving physically, skating is the only thing that stands out to me. If we are luckily he can turn his average speed into an asset like John Tavares did.

That first line says a lot. To live through a rebuild, a true rebuild, is to live in a general state of concern about your team and feel at least a little anxiety about the unknown.

There's no way around that feeling, we all have to learn to accept its presence. Because it's not going away any time soon.

McRanger

Sponsor
Jul 20, 2005
That first line says a lot. To live through a rebuild, a true rebuild, is to live in a general state of concern about your team and feel at least a little anxiety about the unknown.

There's no way around that feeling, we all have to learn to accept its presence. Because it's not going away any time soon.

A lot would have to go wrong to top that 97-05 rebuild. I think I can survive.

I can still remember that first trade deadline. 2/3 of our new "checking line" became Todd Harvey who eventually became Radek Dvorak who became Anson Carter who became Jaromir Jagr. God bless Mike Keane and Brian Skrudland.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009

It's early in the season but conditioning looks to be an issue for the team in general. Howden looked like he was about to pass out during his first period intermission interview last night.

It's acceptable for the team to be young, make mistakes and need time to develop but to not be properly conditioning is another.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It's early in the season but conditioning looks to be an issue for the team in general. Howden looked like he was about to pass out during his first period intermission interview last night.

It's acceptable for the team to be young, make mistakes and need time to develop but to not be properly conditioning is another.

Which, for the Rangers, would be disappointing and a fairly low-hanging fruit.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
It's tiring to chase the game; teams and players always look tired when they finish a period out-shot 21 to 3. And that has been our entire season.

Nobody thought Kakko looked tired in the 3rd against Vancouver--our third game in three and a half days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad