Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlaBlueShirt

Mar 14, 2018
Again, Buch is already in his doghouse 6 games into the season, so if anything he's regressed back to where he was. Andersson might have improved but he can't even get a chance to show it at a higher level - at that point, what does it even matter? How's he going to get better getting next to no ice time. Tough to really measure improvement there. Chytil has played well in Hartford but how long will his leash be once he comes back up? If what we've seen so far is any indication, not very long.

He has no patience with these young players, development is not on his mind at all.

Tony D had a very good second half I will give you that, but he still struggles defensively and the jury is still out as to whether or not he will be a part of this team long term.
And im happy he is.
Buch is done lol

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I wonder what the organization thinks about sandbagging their first second pick in like three hundred years.

I'm sure they're cool with it. Quinn is developmental coach! You gotta ride your veteran leaders like Mark Staal. He knows what it means to #PlayLikeANewYorker and it will rub off on the young guys and make them #EarnIt

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Outside of doing well on the PP...he's been very meh this season and hit/miss. And I get it, the kid's 18 years old. But let's not place him on the pedestal that seemingly the rest of HF/Twitter/etc. has him on.

I'm all for starting games with him on the top line and whatnot, but if he just goes through the games with low rel-impacts like he has been so far, then why play him more than needed? It's not "because he has bad linemates!"

The double-standard with how people have reacted to the TOI for Kakko and Lias is interesting to see. Because one has actually deserved more ice time with their play, and one hasn't.

And feeding him big minutes just because he was drafted 2OA is laughable.

:dunno:

I have big hopes for him, and I think he'll be great, but at this point...let's see him sustain carrying his bad linemates first.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
We want him to play well. He has not so far. It's disappointing but it's not a huge deal yet he's only 18. He's barely impacted the game at all at 5v5 so I cannot understand why anyone would expect him to get moved up during the middle of a tie game the team is trying to win. If he showed glimpses or something earlier in the game that would be something but it hasn't happened yet. They don't need to force feed minutes. His usage is very similar to that of other top picks early in their first seasons. There's no reason based on his play you can say he should be moved up during a game other than "but he's our top prospect and was the 2nd overall pick". Start the game with him on the top line? Absolutely I'd like to see that. But move him up during the game when he hasn't done anything? You can't seriously think the coach is going to do that.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
We want him to play well. He has not so far. It's disappointing but it's not a huge deal yet he's only 18. He's barely impacted the game at all at 5v5 so I cannot understand why anyone would expect him to get moved up during the middle of a tie game the team is trying to win. If he showed glimpses or something earlier in the game that would be something but it hasn't happened yet. They don't need to force feed minutes. His usage is very similar to that of other top picks early in their first seasons. There's no reason based on his play you can say he should be moved up during a game other than "but he's our top prospect and was the 2nd overall pick". Start the game with him on the top line? Absolutely I'd like to see that. But move him up during the game when he hasn't done anything? You can't seriously think the coach is going to do that.
top line's one thing, third line's another.

Not wanting him to play less than 10min doesn't mean you demand him on the top line.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
top line's one thing, third line's another.

Not wanting him to play less than 10min doesn't mean you demand him on the top line.

He’s been getting like the same usage as every other rookie this year and last year to start.

Dach just got the least TOI on the entire Chicago team.

Hughes was getting even less ice time until the player ahead of him got injured.

Makar just got demoted to the second PP unit and played 14 mins in back to back games.

Q. Hughes was on the second PP up until last game.

I don’t want him to play less than 10 minutes. He also wasn’t playing well. Do we or do we not want accountability or does it only count for players we don’t like?

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
He’s been getting like the same usage as every other rookie this year and last year to start.

Dach just got the least TOI on the entire Chicago team.

Hughes was getting even less ice time until the player ahead of him got injured.

Makar just got demoted to the second PP unit and played 14 mins in back to back games.

Q. Hughes was on the second PP up until last game.

I don’t want him to play less than 10 minutes. He also wasn’t playing well. Do we or do we not want accountability or does it only count for players we don’t like?

This is a great look at how things play out around the league.

Sometimes we’re on our own little island over here and seem to think that all the things we’re seeing are somehow limited to our team and our players.

DelZottoHitTheNetJK

Mar 10, 2011
This is a great look at how things play out around the league.

Sometimes we’re on our own little island over here and seem to think that all the things we’re seeing are somehow limited to our team and our players.

Agreed but there are also the Barzals and Petterssons of the world that come into the league and light it up. Would be nice..

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Agreed but there are also the Barzals and Petterssons of the world that come into the league and light it up. Would be nice..

It would be.

But it’s also nice to trade for a 23 year old prior to him becoming a first line center, or watch an offensive minded defenseman grow and make progress with his third NHL organization, or watch two young European goalies make you wonder if they can both be stars, or having as many as half a dozen promising rookies in your lineup on a given night, or have your prospect pool judged to be the best in the league.

This is a work in progress that is all of 18 months old. We need to be careful about judging it through the prism of a much longer stretch of time.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Nobody uses points/60 at all situations because it’s a nonsense stat that cannot be compared from player to play due to context. Also nobody uses (or should use) it in 7 games anyway. It’s just going to be a near direct function of who has a high and low shooting percentage.

Last edited:

mulli25

Jun 25, 2008
NJ
In the previous thread i mentioned how Kakko had been making a bunch of small solid plays but kept having the play die on his line mate's stick's

Last night, other than the brief glimpses on the PP, Kakko's stick is where the play died.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Like it or not, Kreider is a quality NHL vet. Actually he is the third best forward this team has, even if his play so far this season hasn't shown it. Kakko has been given a decent chance to succeed but he hasn't yet been able to grasp it, and that's not solely on Quinn, Rangers lack of a proper #2C, Kreider's troubles etc. but also on Kakko. We can't expect the other two forwards to carry Kakko, even if he is only a rookie 6 games into his NHL career. Most players start their NHL careers on the lower lines without any PP time, with less than stellar linemates yet many still manage to keep their confidence and find success.

Rangers are a young team that had the least ROW of any team last season. No prospect here is going to be in a perfect situation and we must manage with what we have. This team, Kakko and his linemates are going to struggle at times, but hopefully they'll also develop and find some success. To me Kakko has already improved, and he seems both more active and less tentative. Have some patience folks.

He damm hasnt this season.

People say oh it's better to play the kid on a lowe line to get him sheltered, this ain't sheltering. This is throwing him into a difficult situation.
You can't demand an 18y rookie to carry an entire line on his own, you need to support these guys and give them surroundings where they can develop. Rangers have done a horrible job with it so far.

He's the next face of the franchise, and I'd make sure I'd try to develop and help him as much as possible.

This team isn't winning anything this year and won't make the playoffs even, the lineups are unaccaptable.

He’s not really in a different situation than most top 2 picks are in. And his conditioning isn’t great, so I don’t know if giving him more minutes is the answer to getting a better performance out of him

For sure is, none of Matthews/Laine/Eichel were thrown into his situation, Svecs role was limited but he played for superior team and behind proven players.

1 thing that has bothered with me on Rautala is that they train hard and are in great shape, the problem just is off the ice.

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
He damm hasnt this season.

People say oh it's better to play the kid on a lowe line to get him sheltered, this ain't sheltering. This is throwing him into a difficult situation.
You can't demand an 18y rookie to carry an entire line on his own, you need to support these guys and give them surroundings where they can develop. Rangers have done a horrible job with it so far.

He's the next face of the franchise, and I'd make sure I'd try to develop and help him as much as possible.

This team isn't winning anything this year and won't make the playoffs even, the lineups are unaccaptable.

For sure is, none of Matthews/Laine/Eichel were thrown into his situation, Svecs role was limited but he played for superior team and behind proven players.

1 thing that has bothered with me on Rautala is that they train hard and are in great shape, the problem just is off the ice.

In Eichels first few games he played with Evander Kane/Girgensons, Evander Kane/M. Foligno. Matthews played with two rookies (18 year old Nylander/Zach Hyman), and Laine played with good linemates on a far deeper team. Hardly much different.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
In Eichels first few games he played with Evander Kane/Girgensons, Evander Kane/M. Foligno. Matthews played with two rookies (18 year old Nylander/Zach Hyman), and Laine played with good linemates on a far deeper team. Hardly much different.

Eichel was the guy on Buffalo from the start, their target on pp's, Matthews other winger was Nylander who was considered one of the top prospects with years of AHL/SHL experience.
Laine played with superior linemates than Kakko.

Kakko is neither getting minutes or a role with good players, all of the ones I mentioned atleast got 1 out of 2. He's getting zero support from the managent.

Confidence is everything for young players. You sure as hell don't want to hear them talk about how hard hockey is this early.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
It would be a lot easier if Quinn had no problem telling the world every flaw with his players, but that’s not his style.

People get upset about what they perceive as mystery reasons for his decisions, but what is he supposed to do?

Dwell on the fact that Kakko’s NHL conditioning right now is not up to snuff?

Lament the fact that Chytil has a hard time consisting asserting himself in NHL situations?

Remind us that Lindgren isn’t ready, Hajek is still learning and that the only viable alternative to Marc Staal, that doesn’t potentially block a promotion a few months from now is Brendan Smith?

Point out that Kreider is stuck in his own head...again?

There’s a ton of stuff he can throw out there, but most of it we already know, no matter how much we might want to pretend we don’t.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Eichel was the guy on Buffalo from the start, their target on pp's, Matthews other winger was Nylander who was considered one of the top prospects with years of AHL/SHL experience.
Laine played with superior linemates than Kakko.

Kakko is neither getting minutes or a role with good players, all of the ones I mentioned atleast got 1 out of 2. He's getting zero support from the managent.

Confidence is everything for young players. You sure as hell don't want to hear them talk about how hard hockey is this early.

Confidence is great, but if you’re getting called out on your conditioning 6 games into your pro career and your skating looks like someone is playing a video at .75 speed on YouTube, the hockey isn’t going to be easy - no matter how confident your strut is.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Hughes gets immense amounts of #1PP time. Indeed, he even gets less than Kakko on even strength. That's not the problem most people have with Kakko's usage.
Do we or do we not want accountability or does it only count for players we don’t like?
Very ironic statement. I believe every player should be held to the same standard in terms of accountability. Question for you: Why is Kreider not getting sub 10min?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad