Kaapo Kakko has 2 points in last 17 games

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
Because no reasonable person would say he's having the worst season in history
I mean I'm not going to suggests that Kakko is having the worst season in history due to the lack of data prior to 07-08 with the statistics that Kakko performs poorly in. However, it not crazy to suggests that Kakko could be having the worst season from 2007-2020.

jonlin

Nov 11, 2011
I`m confident Kakko will be a succesfull NHL:er. He just seems to have trouble adapting to the smaller Surface and he isnt too good at English. He was used to the bigger rink-size and in TPS was hogging the puck when he had time for it. I think he should be in the AHL, like Rantanen, for a couple of seasons and get his confidence back. He`ll be fine in the long run

Reactions: egelband

Offtheboard412

Feb 26, 2012
I'm not really surprised that both Hughes and Kakko are struggling. Watched both of them play before the draft and wasn't really impressed by either one. They both need more time to develop but I wouldn't be surprised if they end up as some of the weaker 1st and 2nd overalls in the past 20-30 years.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

OscarsCards

Spooky action at a distance
Mar 13, 2013
Cesis
18 y/o isn't scoring 100 pts in his debut season in the best league in the world.

Well I guess he's a bust. He's bust and a flop. You can call him busted flop or flopped bust or busaflop.

I just can't wait the next great hfboards thread.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
to be fair the hype machine was out of control over the summer with this kid. The heat is justified I guess. Looks like he has skills on the PP atleast

Fataldogg

Mar 22, 2007
Its underwhelming considering the hype both he and Jack Hughes had heading in. He was advertised as an NHL ready player because of his experience playing against men and succeeding at it.

He has a ton to work on. Starting with his skating. It's looking like that draft had low end top prospects as of right now.

I think he will improve but right now he needs to improve his wrist shot, shot off the pass, shot accuracy, speed, acceleration, control of the puck, etc.

The best stuff I've seen with Kakko is when he is one on one with a goalie and you get to see how gifted he is with his hands. Problem is, that's a rarity because he is a terrible skater, he cant get in that position.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
Just because Kakko is bigger than Hughes doesn’t mean he was physically ready for NHL, to play with his strenghts in the NHL he must still become stronger, in Liiga he didn’t need to be that strong cause he had more time and defenders play the body less and skill level is that much weaker that he could just stickhandle himself out of corners, that’s not happening in the NHL.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
The best stuff I've seen with Kakko is when he is one on one with a goalie and you get to see how gifted he is with his hands. Problem is, that's a rarity because he is a terrible skater, he cant get in that position.
You ain’t seen much of him then, his style of play is based pretty much entirely on puck control in the offensive zone, that’s how he has always played and if he is going to succeed in NHL that’s how he is going to do it there also, he will never be a player that scores most of his points of the rush or odd man chances.

holy

2023-2024 Cup CHamps
May 22, 2017
Kakko Kotka Kakarot, all should go to the minors. What’s wrong with proving yourself there first? Just cause you’re a high draft pick, I swear these desperate teams really stunt the growth of their players in hopes of a miracle.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
And both points scored in the same game, so that makes points once in 17.

In what I’ve seen from him this season, he’s been pretty mediocre, had trouble finishing and seems hesitant to pass, takes the puck behind the net a lot.

Disappointing rookie season for him so far.
Him and Hughes obviously aren't NHL ready yet. At least not in the way a lot of people thought.

He lacks confidence and seems hesitant for sure.

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Hopefully he will be fine, but there is no doubt that he should've waited a year at least. Funny that so many insisted that he was ready.
Don't pick the fruit before its ripe!
He looked NHL ready though, before coming over. Used his body well and was impressive. He's not very fast in a straight line but he's good with his edges. He lacks confidence, badly. Hopefully he learns a lot this year and picks it up next season. Working hard on his skating and with the mindstate of what is needed in order to make it overseas.

He's got the talent. We'll see if he figures it out or if he crumbles pressure.

He also needs to shoot it more often. He passes a lot, probably related to his lack of confidence.

If this problem persists after his 2nd season, then I'll worry. Gotta have patience, everyone can't be a star in their first season.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
The Rangers don't run a structured system... that is also a factor for Kakko's struggles.

Honestly, the coach and GM should be fired before further damage is done IMO. Andersson, Kravstov and Kakko all look terrible so far in pro NA hockey.

Hire Lombardi as GM and Laviolette/Gallant as coach.

Last edited:

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007

They said the same about 18 year old Tavares, gifted hands but skated like a newborn giraffe. He turned out ok.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad