JVR - Yes or No

Do you want management to re-sign JVR?

• Total voters

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
The best trade deadline deal is the one the Leafs didn't make. Leafs "own rental" JVR has out produced any of the big names moved at the deadline. Imagine the Leafs acquiring a big body to play in front of the net and ignite an already dangerous PP. Whatever JVR's motivation (win in his last year here, play for the next contract, less distraction) it has come at the best time. If he can carry this forward into the Playoffs and get us deep into the playoffs it will be the best move Lou didn't make by not trading him.

As far as losing 34+ goals, it will be tough to replace next year, but you have to hope a healthy Matthews adds another 15, Nylander and Marner will be pushing towards the 25-30 goal range next year with even more playing time and experience. Kapenen, Johnsson get moved up the lineup to get more ice time as well.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The best trade deadline deal is the one the Leafs didn't make. Leafs "own rental" JVR has out produced any of the big names moved at the deadline. Imagine the Leafs acquiring a big body to play in front of the net and ignite an already dangerous PP. Whatever JVR's motivation (win in his last year here, play for the next contract, less distraction) it has come at the best time. If he can carry this forward into the Playoffs and get us deep into the playoffs it will be the best move Lou didn't make by not trading him.

As far as losing 34+ goals, it will be tough to replace next year, but you have to hope a healthy Matthews adds another 15, Nylander and Marner will be pushing towards the 25-30 goal range next year with even more playing time and experience. Kapenen, Johnsson get moved up the lineup to get more ice time as well.

that's how i see it.
it will suck, esp. his net presence. however, if someone was smart, they'd be making everyone do it after practice.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario

Plus how often do you see a team like the Leafs who are guaranteed to be making the playoffs trade a valuable player like JVR at the deadline? I know how he's about to become a UFA, however usually in a situation like that the player is on a team who will be missing the playoffs and they will want to get something of value in return.

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
No chance, he should be gone. I would have shipped him out last summer for a first and some seconds if it were possible as I knew we were heading to a point where we would get nothing for him except for his help in the 2018 playoffs.

It's been fun watching JVR on this recent streak, but one cannot ignore the fact that he is a liability on the defensive end. The lack of defensive effort I've witnessed on numerous occasions from someone who actually has decent wheels, and is considered one of the fittest Leafs, is perplexing. I've never seen a player able to demonstrate both Nylander/Phaneuf like skating speed in the same game. His sheltered minutes is also a concern for a game that will probably get even faster across all lines in the future.

We could replace JVR with someone who scores half as many goals, but provides so much more to the team that we would be in a better place. Also, I'd prefer to use that money on a defensemen since that is obviously the area we could use improvement.

Someone will overpay for JVR based on his best scoring year, and he may even provide a few more more 30-35 year seasons. However, I don't see him continuing like this far into the future at which point you are left with a player that provide little benefit to your team.

Reactions: Willchel Marlynder

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Would you really spend 6+ of the cap on a guy that needs to be sheltered? And if you offer him less, why would he take it? When he can get 6+ from someone else who will also give him legit top 6 mins. He is gone. I don't see Leafs offering him what he wants and I don't see him taking a hometown discount.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
No chance, he should be gone. I would have shipped him out last summer for a first and some seconds if it were possible as I knew we were heading to a point where we would get nothing for him except for his help in the 2018 playoffs.

It's been fun watching JVR on this recent streak, but one cannot ignore the fact that he is a liability on the defensive end. The lack of defensive effort I've witnessed on numerous occasions from someone who actually has decent wheels, and is considered one of the fittest Leafs, is perplexing. I've never seen a player able to demonstrate both Nylander/Phaneuf like skating speed in the same game. His sheltered minutes is also a concern for a game that will probably get even faster across all lines in the future.

We could replace JVR with someone who scores half as many goals, but provides so much more to the team that we would be in a better place. Also, I'd prefer to use that money on a defensemen since that is obviously the area we could use improvement.

Someone will overpay for JVR based on his best scoring year, and he may even provide a few more more 30-35 year seasons. However, I don't see him continuing like this far into the future at which point you are left with a player that provide little benefit to your team.

that's kinda important.

slozo

Aug 28, 2011
Newmarket, ON
In the opening post, I indicated the terms for the sake of discussion based on fair market value - 6-6.5 million for 6-7 years, which is realistic.

Obviously, JVR's not going to take a haircut (no pun intended Lou) to stay in Toronto, no matter how much he loves it here.

No, that's not obvious.

Could totally see him take 6.2 for 5 years, just to be on a team he loves with a great chance at the cup.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
How often does a team not sign their top goal scorer ?

9BE05351-E262-421B-AB19-B55DB7DD4824.jpeg

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Yes at 5.5x5, no for anything more.

IF somone is dumb enough to give him 7x7, feel free, your albatross not ours.

I'd rather pay the 2-3 million more and just get Tavares, Johnsen/Kap/Leivo-Tavares-Marner>>>>>>>>>>>>>>JVR-Bozak-Brown

Reactions: BM14

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I know there are a couple of discussion threads out there, but this is just a straightforward poll to get a sense of fan sentiment.

Are you comfortable signing JVR to a new multi-year contract at fair market value?

For the sake of discussion, let's assume that is a 6-6.5 million AAV for 6-7 years.

I agree with your FMV estimate, in which case I think we shouldn't sign him.

I think 6M AAV for 5 years is reasonable to do.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
It's not so much the price but his style of play and the roster spot. He's a square peg in a round hole. The Leafs need a more complete player in that spot, even if they have to find goals elsewhere.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad