JVR - Yes or No

Do you want management to re-sign JVR?

• Total voters

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Smart would be to resign him and let him go in the Seattle ED.

We get him for 1 or 2 more seasons to make a cup run, and then he'll be used up here.

I really don't see a downside too this, and I'd hope management is at least thinking about it.

This actually makes so so much sense in my mind. If not, we're losing a young piece potentially.

That's a very interesting slant that's been brought up in this thread.

Reactions: my name is Bob

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Smart would be to resign him and let him go in the Seattle ED.

We get him for 1 or 2 more seasons to make a cup run, and then he'll be used up here.

I really don't see a downside too this
, and I'd hope management is at least thinking about it.

This actually makes so so much sense in my mind. If not, we're losing a young piece potentially.

What if Seattle doesn't select him?

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
That's a very interesting slant that's been brought up in this thread.
The expansion draft is before the signing bonus date though. You make him far more attractive if you pay him that signing bonus July 1 and trade him after...kinda like the Freddie Andersen trade when Bernier got traded right after receiving his $2M bonus.

Is there a cagey way around this I am missing?

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
He may not be around by then.
IMO, seems like a very risky assumption.
Moot anyway, he won't sign without a NMC.
Meh, if he truely wants to sign in Toronto, like he says, he'll sign without an nmc. He knows he's a complimentary piece here

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Meh, if he truely wants to sign in Toronto, like he says, he'll sign without an nmc. He knows he's a complimentary piece here
Wanting to stay is exactly why he would demand NMC. Maybe he's not too bright but I'm guessing his agent will know the danger of not having a NMC with expansion coming.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Wanting to stay is exactly why he would demand NMC. Maybe he's not too bright but I'm guessing his agent will know the danger of not having a NMC with expansion coming.
Staying for 2 years, competing for a cup, until the ED, is better than not signing here at all.

There's a possibility that resigning in Toronto is his best chance to win a Stanley cup. Pittsburgh and Tampa can't afford him, Winnipeg has tonsa wingers, Nashville doesn't seem interested. If he wants a cup chance, maybe he signs at a discount

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
I'd like to see him back, but I would rather grab JT.

I think we let him but FA, see what happens with JT and then make a decision based on what JVR gets offered.

I have a feeling he'd like to stay, but I don't think he'll turn down a big payday somewhere else.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
I'd like to see him back, but I would rather grab JT.

I think we let him but FA, see what happens with JT and then make a decision based on what JVR gets offered.

I have a feeling he'd like to stay, but I don't think he'll turn down a big payday somewhere else.
The nice thing is, you get the JT answer before July 1. You have that week to decide which direction to take.

Reactions: IBeL13f

LeafFever

Feb 12, 2016
Don't give an 8 year deal to a supporting guy. He plays 3rd line 5 on 5 minutes.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
The Marleau deal is looking worse every day now eh ! We thought he would be able to replace JVR's numbers but we were wrong , mive Marleau sign JVR or lose JVR and keep Marleau ? tough call for sure .
You think? Hmm...depends how you look at it.

Look at his past few years before he came here. He's averaging about 46-48 points with about 25ish goals with a cap hit of about 6.67.

This year he currently has 40 points (23G, 17A) @ a cap hit of 6.25, so he's in a similar ballpark to what he produced in San Jose in his last 2 years there.

He's hit a bump in the road the last month+ but if he didn't can you imagine where his point totals would be? He'd easily be outperforming his last 2 years with San Jose.

I see Marleau scoring 30 next year with about 50 points. Many seem disappointed with the signing but I really like it, maybe I am in the minority. Sure, he looks 40+ in some games but he's a solid, consistent pro who's a great guy to have around with our young core. If anything, they could move him after next year if he just falls off the map - highly unlikely.

horner

May 22, 2007
The Marleau deal is looking worse every day now eh ! We thought he would be able to replace JVR's numbers but we were wrong , mive Marleau sign JVR or lose JVR and keep Marleau ? tough call for sure .
The last yr of Marleau contract after July 1st is 1.25 million .
We will need to find a team that needs to hit the cap floor.
Add in a prospect.
See ya.
Luo has given the Leafs wiggle room.

ITM

Out on the front line, don't worry I'll be fine...
Jan 26, 2012
I wouldn't do it at all. We need to open up some roster spots.

Moore, Martin, Plekanec (and perhaps Komarov) provide three (to four) open positions from the jump. Line-up would resemble this presuming Kapanen's and Johnsson's promotions are permanent:

Hyman-Matthews-Nylander
Marleau-Kadri-Marner
Kapanen-3L -Brown
Johnsson-4L-4L

Of those UFAs potentially available (under 30) to sign July 1st, we'd have: John Tavares, John Carlson,David Perron, JVR, Evander Kane, Riley Nash, Patrick Maroon, Derek Grant, Matt Calvert, etc...others we would likely exclude from consideration.

I don't think (and don't think we should) we'll sign Tavares. I don't think we'd sign Carlson (But WSH is in a different situation and I wonder if as a result of their impending decisions if we couldn't acquire Tom Wilson, but that's another matter.) and I'm not sure Perron leaves Vegas given their run. So we're left (potentially) with Kane (who seems the malcontent poster child) , Riley Nash, etc...All of a sudden, JVR doesn't look like such a bad option.

My concern isn't moving (letting go of) JVR and Bozak. I think we've got the means to supplement his production. I've repeatedly said I'd move JVR (e.g. to San Jose for RHD Justin Braun + Dylan Gambrell + pick) in an ideal sign and trade world.

But...IF, we're left in a position where Bozak can be had for less, provided what he brings, I think we'd have to look at maintaining status quo as move to buffer our C depth until other options present themselves. Same thing with JVR. In an absolutely perfect scenario, he simply re-signs for 5-5.5 for no more than 4-5 years. Unlikely but...ya never know.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How many JVR class players got NMCs? I cant think of any recent. Ltd NTC, yes

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Staying for 2 years, competing for a cup, until the ED, is better than not signing here at all.

There's a possibility that resigning in Toronto is his best chance to win a Stanley cup. Pittsburgh and Tampa can't afford him, Winnipeg has tonsa wingers, Nashville doesn't seem interested. If he wants a cup chance, maybe he signs at a discount
At 28, I doubt he's looking at only a two year window to win a cup. Teams can become competitive quickly these days.
IMO, his #1 concern will be security.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad