Jvr $ (underated or overrated)

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
I agree with the guy that said 4.5 like Kadri max. Very easily replaceable and strictly complementary player

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
I agree with the guy that said 4.5 like Kadri max. Very easily replaceable and strictly complementary player

People keep saying this but he is a perennial 30/60 guy. That is a first line player in today's NHL. Hardly EASILY replaceable.

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Would do a short term deal at 7 mil but wouldn't want to give him any sort of term because it could conflict with the time where matthews, rielly, marner and nylander need their UFA contracts.

I'd be fine with a 7mil x 3 years contract but I bet he's looking for more of an Okposo kind of deal which I'd be against.

Last edited:

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
5.5M for 8 years or 7M for 4..I doubt Lou would go higher...or he can rot in NJ/NY and lose while we win.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
People keep saying this but he is a perennial 30/60 guy. That is a first line player in today's NHL. Hardly EASILY replaceable.

How to replace:

- one of Grundstrom/Kapanen/Korshkov turn into 20 - 20 guys who play well defensively
- extra cap space spent on upgrading defence
- tons of draft picks who could turn into a player that replaces him ( possible extra 1st and 2nd from JVR trade )

We have a lot of ways to replace JVR who will decline like a lot of players when he hits 30.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I am fine with 5.5-6m for JVR so long as he starts playing properly by the seasons end. If he starts trying then I am up for paying, probably rater 5.5m x 6 though.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
How to replace:

- one of Grundstrom/Kapanen/Korshkov turn into 20 - 20 guys who play well defensively
- extra cap space spent on upgrading defence
- tons of draft picks who could turn into a player that replaces him ( possible extra 1st and 2nd from JVR trade )

We have a lot of ways to replace JVR who will decline like a lot of players when he hits 30.

The fact of the matter is that we currently have two top six forwards over the age of 20. Only one on the wing;JVR. We can replace him with the likes of KK and Grundstrom as mentioned but we still end up with a team of kids. Do we solve this by signing a top six vet?

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
id keep him if the leafs are cruising into the playoffs.

After that let him go get his big money; better for both parties.

the leafs really have 4 options- 1) trade him at the deadline, his value is peak, we would get a solid return, but it would screw our playoff hopes b) deal him at the draft c)deal him at the 2018 deadline d)attempt to resign him and risk losing him for nothing.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
the leafs really have 4 options- 1) trade him at the deadline, his value is peak, we would get a solid return, but it would screw our playoff hopes b) deal him at the draft c)deal him at the 2018 deadline d)attempt to resign him and risk losing him for nothing.
Ahh got mixed up.. One more year on current deal

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
The fact of the matter is that we currently have two top six forwards over the age of 20. Only one on the wing;JVR. We can replace him with the likes of KK and Grundstrom as mentioned but we still end up with a team of kids. Do we solve this by signing a top six vet?

It's a team of kids but the kids have more of a veteran attitude than JVR/Bozak.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If he'll do 5 years at 6 million, I can get on board with that. He doesn't play a heavy physical game, so he's really not wearing down like your typical PWF. He's an important piece to have, considering we don't have an adequate replacement forward, and that deal shouldn't put teams off of acquiring him, should we wish to move him, as he's a consistent producer.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
It's a team of kids but the kids have more of a veteran attitude than JVR/Bozak.

What is this attitude that you speak of? Like it or not JVR has played in 10 playoff rounds and performed well. The total amount for the remaining top six is one round. Three if you include top nine.

Leaf Army

Jun 9, 2003
Leaf Nation
Visit site
Is try to find a way to keep JVR if the money is right.

I think on a good team he's a consistent 60 point winger. 6'3 wingers who can score 60 points are not nearly as common as some people seem to think. He's not perfect but he's more important to this team than people are giving him credit for.

Also just because he's a bit older than some of the other core players doesn't mean he can't help this team win going forward.

But they have to get an idea of what they have to pay him. If it looks like it'll be too much then he has to go in the offseason. Losing him for nothing would be a disaster.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
If he'll do 5 years at 6 million, I can get on board with that. He doesn't play a heavy physical game, so he's really not wearing down like your typical PWF. He's an important piece to have, considering we don't have an adequate replacement forward, and that deal shouldn't put teams off of acquiring him, should we wish to move him, as he's a consistent producer.

This is it. He hasn't been totally injury free but if you take a true PWF like Iggy as an example, he didn't start to really slow drown until he was around 33. Around the time that a 6 year contract would bring JVR.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Lucic got 6m for 7, Eriksson got 6m for 6, Ladd got 5.5m for 7.

You have to think those are the closest comparable, and they all got tons of term.

There will be a team that pays him 6m+ for 7 years and that is too much for the Leafs IMO. So you have to trade him for value before he walks.

On the off chance he takes a "hometown discount" something like 5.5 for 5 or 6 for 5 then you think about signing him. But 6 or 6.5m for 7 years is too much.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Consistent effort, poise, two-way play.

I get it. He's pretty much a one dimensional player. I've never questioned his effort though. Scoring wingers disappear at times during the season. It's league wide. I think that having someone who has been there in pressure situations is valuable.

GLG12xx12

Go Leafs Go!!!!
Dec 5, 2010
Boone, IA
Ideally we sign him to a $5.5x5 deal. Who knows if he takes it or not. I see a bunch of variables that will have an impact on if he accepts it or not. JVR is going to be 29 and hasn't won a Cup yet. If we make the playoffs this year and make some noise, he might be willing to accept this offer seeing as we have the potential to play for the Cup within that time frame. I think this is going to have the biggest impact on if he wants to stay or leave.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Leafs probably don't have the cap space to pay JVR what is going to get. Nylander, Marner, Matthews, Zaitsev maybe even Gardiner will be getting more money soon.
My guess he'll sign with Rangers as Nash's replacement. Doesn't mean the Leafs should trade him cause he still can be a valuable member of the team, till cheaper younger replacements are available.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Lucic got 6m for 7, Eriksson got 6m for 6, Ladd got 5.5m for 7.

You have to think those are the closest comparable, and they all got tons of term.

There will be a team that pays him 6m+ for 7 years and that is too much for the Leafs IMO. So you have to trade him for value before he walks.

On the off chance he takes a "hometown discount" something like 5.5 for 5 or 6 for 5 then you think about signing him. But 6 or 6.5m for 7 years is too much.

I think that most of us are in line with this train of thought. There's the odd outliers that say nothing higher than $4.5 or the other end of the spectrum that say we should sign him at all cost.

It's essentially what I'm trying to gauge from this. The numbers that you throw around are all relatively close. A lot of 5.5-7 in both AAV and term amounts. It will be up to management and JVR/his agent to decide where they draw the line

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad