JVR - A Key Building Block?

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
No one knows what we have in JvR.

So far he's come as advertised.

A big bodied forward who can skate well, but is hesitant to get physical and go to the net consistently. Also can disappear from games, but once on is very hard to contain.

What I will say is that this is a good fit for him in TO - he's not stuck behind some pretty good talent. He's a premier guy here, and has been elevated pretty quickly into a top 6 role despite starting the season on the outside looking in.

With that confidence and responsibility, maybe he can develop into a much more consistent player. I really like the way that he speaks with the media - very level headed and not at all put off by the difficult questions

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Building blocks, although many so called expert will disagree:

Kessel
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR

possibly Kadri if he continues to develop

time will tell if Lupul, Frattin can be core pieces

you wait on Biggs, Percy, Ashton, Colborne, Ross, and other young player -- hoping one emerges as a core piece.

MacArthur
Liles
Gunnarson
Franson
Komi
Bozak

are all tradable because they have established their value and aren't getting better.

Grabo is tradable in the right deal because he is also fully developed.

Hopefully Reimer can return to form and become a key piece.

I mostly agree with this.

JVR has the size that can't be taught and the high end skill to go along with it. He is still a young player that has a lot of room to grow. He has missed a lot of time early in his career, has struggled with consistency as most young players do (especially when you factor in injuries). When he is on he is dynamite and I don't see any reason he can't develop into a 3rd or 4th best forward on a championship calibar team.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
JVR it's clear will be a quality player. His high end ceiling is where the debate is. He still has a bit of awkwardness, he is a big man and hasn't gotten enough run of consistent games or minutes to truly develop his game.

Botton line, JVR will be the test to see just how patient Leaf fans are with younger players. He's big, he protects the puck very well, can skate, with speed and his hands it's hard to questions his skill and he can shoot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad