JVR - A Key Building Block?

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
He does have a lot of potential, and in the long run could be our top line LW.

One thing I noticed looking at the season stats, JVR is only a year and a half older then Kadri. I'm guessing there is still a lot of development left in him. I wonder how much PHI trusted their AHL coaches to not let him develop a year or two down there.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
"Way way too early to tell if he's a legitimate building block."

That's a direct quote from my post. It's literally exactly the same meaning as the other post.

If JVR had come out guns blazing and had scored in every game I'd still be erring on the side of caution, because it's WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL, which is the same as "it's a bit difficult to gauge consistency in a 5-game sample size".

small sample size = way too early to tell.

I can't believe how ridiculous posters on here are. Ahhhhh you said he historically has consistency issues! Therefore you think he's terrible and will forever be terrible! Ahhhhh!....yea. that's clearly what I said.

Sure you said it's way to early to tell, but then you made a consistancy judgement based on 5 games this season. So you're basically crossing wires here, which is what I was commenting on.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
He does have a lot of potential, and in the long run could be our top line LW.

One thing I noticed looking at the season stats, JVR is only a year and a half older then Kadri. I'm guessing there is still a lot of development left in him. I wonder how much PHI trusted their AHL coaches to not let him develop a year or two down there.

He went 2nd overall, usually those prospects going that high usually make the jump right away. However, I only see a couple teams in the league that uses its farm team a lot, few notibles would be Detroit, buffalo, anaheim (and now us)

Phatic

Aug 2, 2011
i would say yes.

why: he`s the only forward playing for the leafs ive seen stand in front of the goaltender in the last 3 years. (talking top line guys here) sure he`s not punishing defenders in the corners, but hes a 23 yo. give him time to establish himself and his role.

regardless, he`s something the leafs havent had for far too long. and this is a necessary piece to most successful organizations. thank god hartnell had the season he did, because i think thats the only reason philly was willing to move JVR

Ash35

Jan 29, 2010
The problem with JVR is that you don't notice him if he's not scoring. So when he slumps, like he's prone to do, fans are going to jump on him like they did after games 1,2.

Last edited:

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
His problem is consistency. But he's still young.

When he's on, he's extremely good though. Can take a game over

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I love that two games into the season, he was a bust and no one wanted anything to do with him, and three games later he's a building block. I've always liked his game, and yes I believe he is a key piece to the top six going forward. You can't teach his size, he's got good speed and hands, and a willingness to go to the front of the net. Combine that with the potential that saw him going second overall and I'm really quite fond of him as a player.

MapleLeafs9

Sep 22, 2011
What happened to our new skating coach Barb Underhill? She could possibly do wonders for JvR.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
What happened to our new skating coach Barb Underhill? She could possibly do wonders for JvR.

Not at that weight, he looks built for the flyers third line. She can help but not like 10 lbs can, look how much better Komi looks

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I'm not so sure. he isn't physical, but if you are putting up Kessel type numbers it can be forgiven. but then, we don't know if he is capable of that. so if he isn't putting up Kessel numbers and isn't physical....

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Building blocks, although many so called expert will disagree:

Kessel
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR

possibly Kadri if he continues to develop

time will tell if Lupul, Frattin can be core pieces

you wait on Biggs, Percy, Ashton, Colborne, Ross, and other young player -- hoping one emerges as a core piece.

MacArthur
Liles
Gunnarson
Franson
Komi
Bozak

are all tradable because they have established their value and aren't getting better.

Grabo is tradable in the right deal because he is also fully developed.

Hopefully Reimer can return to form and become a key piece.

Grabovski has emerged as a key player going forward because we are already at a lost down the middle but yes, in the right package he is tradeable.
Gunnarsson is our best defenseman game-in game-out. He is here to stay hopefully.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This season is no indication as to whether or not JvR is gonna be a key building block. For Kadri on the other hand, this is his season (shortened nonetheless) to showcase his talents and desire.

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
There's one thing that JVR does that I haven't seen many Leafs do in recent times, and that's go hard to the net. You could see him reaping the benefits already if you look at his goal against the Rangers this past Saturday. JVR's nose for the net combined with his high skill level will mean many a goal rippling the twine for years to come. Untouchable.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
I think he is our most talented forward (over all) but no I dont see him as a corner piece or a building block. Not in the sense that the team is built around him anyway. Always believed that teams built around wingers are weak teams.

Goalie, #1 d-man, #1 C, #2 d-man. These are corner pieces to build around imo. Guys who have a central role and are on the ice more then any one else and who play in all situations. I still consider him a key player moving forward but for me that is a different thing.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He might be, but he could also easily be one of those guys who never gives you more than flashes. that contract will suck if he doesn't break through and be an impact forward for us.

Fearless Leaf*

A little too early to tell, only time will tell.

JVR clearly has the potential to be a game-breaking talent with all the tools but he needs to take few steps and motivation to bring his talent out on consistent basis. I don;t think he will ever live up to his draft pedigree but I have liked what I have seen from his so far. If he can display this sort of effort more often, he could definitely be one of the key building blocks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad