JVR - A Key Building Block?

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
When the trade for JVR was made, I was quite pleased. A budding power forward who is only 23 (Yes, an old man for some posters) and he is signed to a fair deal (as long as he produces) until he is fresh off his 29th birthday.

With all the Kessel trade talk and with Lupul and Grabovski being old :sarcasm: themselves, it seems like he is the main forward going forward to build around. And when I say that, I don't mean franchise player, I mean he is a solid foundation piece that should be added to. instead of was/is/will be a stop gap solution, he is someone who should be here for a while, and not dealt, whereas others such as Kessel, Grabo, Lupul (kinda tough now) should be dealt before JVR.

Am I right? I know its a young season but I like the way he plays and the potential.

leafspring*

When the trade for JVR was made, I was quite pleased. A budding power forward who is only 23 (Yes, an old man for some posters) and he is signed to a fair deal (as long as he produces) until he is fresh off his 29th birthday.

With all the Kessel trade talk and with Lupul and Grabovski being old :sarcasm: themselves, it seems like he is the main forward going forward to build around. And when I say that, I don't mean franchise player, I mean he is a solid foundation piece that should be added to. instead of was/is/will be a stop gap solution, he is someone who should be here for a while, and not dealt, whereas others such as Kessel, Grabo, Lupul (kinda tough now) should be dealt before JVR.

Am I right? I know its a young season but I like the way he plays and the potential.

Its five games into the season everyone had to wait so patiently for,and trade talk on some of our best players already makes me want the lock-out sanity back.Yeah, i said the lock-out was saner:laugh:

MrLegend28*

of course he is. Remember this is HFBoards and PROPSECTS is the name of the game. Well whats a better prospect than the #2 overall pick? (1st overall but still) Oh wait, I'm sure something's wrong with JVR cause hes not in the OHL right now..

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Well we hope he's a building block but there's no doubt he has question marks.

Philly fans all say that he goes from being completely invisible for a month to dominating for a month. Consistency has been his issue. It's only been 5 games here and we've already seen some consistency issues. Way way too early to tell if he's a legitimate building block.

GordieHoweHatTrick

Sep 20, 2009
Toronto
If he can become consistent I think he has a shot at potentially being the Maple Leafs' next Captain. There is something about him that screams to me "leader". He's still young and the chance of that happening is still ways away but I think its possible

birddog*

Building blocks, although many so called expert will disagree:

Kessel
Phaneuf
Gardiner
Rielly
JVR

possibly Kadri if he continues to develop

time will tell if Lupul, Frattin can be core pieces

you wait on Biggs, Percy, Ashton, Colborne, Ross, and other young player -- hoping one emerges as a core piece.

MacArthur
Liles
Gunnarson
Franson
Komi
Bozak

are all tradable because they have established their value and aren't getting better.

Grabo is tradable in the right deal because he is also fully developed.

Hopefully Reimer can return to form and become a key piece.

leafspring*

Philly fans all say that he goes from being completely invisible for a month to dominating for a month. Consistency has been his issue. It's only been 5 games here and we've already seen some consistency issues. Way way too early to tell if he's a legitimate building block.

Way to early to tell lol. The position he is in now with a young team is most likely going to allow his leadership skills develope at a accellerated pace,and he has not been inconsistant this season.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Too small of a sample size. He could go on a 10-game pointless streak, or a 10-game goal scoring streak. Bottom line is I would like to re-assess after the 48-game season. If he's able to adapt well to Carlyle's system and be productive, by all means he's a part of the Leafs future.

I'm hoping for a ~15 goal, ~30 point season out of him.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Yes. Love his game. He's gotten better each game too.

His foot speed could use a little work thou. If he was quicker he would much more effective. Scary to think how good he might be

Penalty Kill Icing*

Too early to tell. Flyers fans say he does well and then disappears for an extended time. So, I'll save my judgement for now.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010

It's a bit difficult to gauge consistency in a 5-game sample size.

satyr9

Sep 20, 2009
IMO it was a complete no brainer win trade for the Leafs, but I am nowhere near ready to call him a key building block. Really, right around the end of the 2013-14 season is when you might be able to make that determination.

Still, at this point watching him every other night, I have a hard time imagining JVR being less than a 20-25 goal, 50ish point guy in a regular 82 game season. That's not what I would call a core building block piece and I think there's obviously room for significantly more production, but I don't see that as his downside, which really isn't bad, especially when you consider that vs. Schenn's potential floor. He's going to be marginally unproductive for 4.25m a season at worst. X factor, as with anyone, is health.

If JVR and Kadri can use the 48 games to make strong cases for being top 6 forwards, not just on this year's Leafs, but pretty much anywhere, then I'll call the entire season a success regardless of record.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

You could say the same about Kessel although last year was good but regardless he would not score for 10 or more games.

leafspring*

... That's exactly what I said in my post... when I said "way too early to tell"... so... thanks for agreeing?

Your post was leaning way to the negative,and there is no way to thank the poster for agreeing. Your the negative post,and the other was the positive post.Just like a battery,so don't try starting anything.lol.

Christ

Mar 10, 2004
Canada
Too early to tell. Flyers fans say he does well and then disappears for an extended time. So, I'll save my judgement for now.

That streaky play could simply be a product of him being a young player who has yet to have a break out season. I myself am taking a wait and see approach with JVR, he is still young and has had a history of injuries that may have slowed his development a bit. If he stays healthy and continues to produce, he could be a VERY good player for us, or he could just be another 40ish point scorer who will actually go to the net.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
He's actually very underwhelming as a skater and puck handler, was expecting much more.

However, if he can stand at the net and do what players here never seem to do... I'm more than happy to call him a "key building block".

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
It's a bit difficult to gauge consistency in a 5-game sample size.

Your post was leaning way to the negative,and there is no way to thank the poster for agreeing. Your the negative post,and the other was the positive post.Just like a battery,so don't try starting anything.lol.

"Way way too early to tell if he's a legitimate building block."

That's a direct quote from my post. It's literally exactly the same meaning as the other post.

If JVR had come out guns blazing and had scored in every game I'd still be erring on the side of caution, because it's WAY TOO EARLY TO TELL, which is the same as "it's a bit difficult to gauge consistency in a 5-game sample size".

small sample size = way too early to tell.

I can't believe how ridiculous posters on here are. Ahhhhh you said he historically has consistency issues! Therefore you think he's terrible and will forever be terrible! Ahhhhh!....yea. that's clearly what I said.

leafspring*

IMO it was a complete no brainer win trade for the Leafs, but I am nowhere near ready to call him a key building block. Really, right around the end of the 2013-14 season is when you might be able to make that determination.

Still, at this point watching him every other night, I have a hard time imagining JVR being less than a 20-25 goal, 50ish point guy in a regular 82 game season. That's not what I would call a core building block piece and I think there's obviously room for significantly more production, but I don't see that as his downside, which really isn't bad, especially when you consider that vs. Schenn's potential floor. He's going to be marginally unproductive for 4.25m a season at worst. X factor, as with anyone, is health.

If JVR and Kadri can use the 48 games to make strong cases for being top 6 forwards, not just on this year's Leafs, but pretty much anywhere, then I'll call the entire season a success regardless of record.

JVR can easily be called a building key block. He is already a key power-forward just by the nature of the way he plays the game,and the expectations of the coach for him to play that style.

He is most likely going to be a key player when we get into the play-offs too. He is already a high end talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad