Justin Schultz

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Count me in with those very impressed with Schultz during the preseason. This is the D I was expecting after what we saw in the AHL. I really hope he can keep it up. That would be a massive difference maker for the team.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Schultz knew he had to change his ways and it's looking promising so far. I had no problem with his play in the pre-season, he looked good.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Schultz knew he had to change his ways and it's looking promising so far. I had no problem with his play in the pre-season, he looked good.

I dont think any reasonable person could disagree with this.

The real question is...can Schultz sustain an effective level of play?
We will need most of this season before that can be answered.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Schultz has just over 200 NHL games played, so he's approaching the point where we know what he is. At the same amount of games, Petry was just starting to get good. They say it takes roughly 300 games for a Dman

Schultz has been playing a ton of minutes as well. Sometimes approaching 30 minutes a night for stretches. That might have something to do with why he's often looked bad, just breaking under the weight of it. But, I'm sure there is value in the experience. With all this experience, a better team, and a better coach, he could have a career year

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Schultz looks like a new player. Stronger and more confident. I have faith he can hold his one 5 on 5, which really means he needs to dominate the power play. If he can do that, he could be that 50 points d man we desperately need.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002

Kudos to him for coming into camp in great shape, and playing with a lot more quickness and decisiveness in his game.

He looks damn good out there thus far.

Schultz looks like a new player. Stronger and more confident.

He's looked like our best defenseman during preseason.

Well, I'm much more excited now, since the (total) consensus thus far among you folks (who know this team far better than myself) is showing that what I think I've seen is indeed happening.

Schultz has just over 200 NHL games played, so he's approaching the point where we know what he is.

Normally that 'rule' works pretty well, but I think Justin Schultz's experience in Edmonton to this point, and the nearly unprecedented degree of turmoil surrounding the team when it comes to management & coaching, makes him a special case. Certainly, I'd like to see him play at least a couple full seasons in front of a real coach & healthy organization before I start limiting my expectations of his potential. A potential I believe will be higher than some of the more conservative predictions written here over the past day.

The real question is...can Schultz sustain an effective level of play? We will need most of this season before that can be answered.

Right... clearly one cannot assume he'll remain this effective. But I'm confident that with his new level of effort, and the success it's sure to bring, will come a massive boost in self-confidence, which will give him all the more reason to continue putting forth the effort, etc., etc. I don't recall if the correct word for this effect would be 'cumulative' or 'exponential', or neither... but regardless, it's 'giggity'.

Last edited:

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
If he had a hard fast shot he could. But he simply doesn't. He has the tools to be a very good second pairing guy if he keeps up this pre sesson

I'm with Cheerios here. To be a true number one you've either gotta have that big shot or something else to make up for it (superb defensive play, physicality, etc). For a smaller defenceman whose calling card is offense, he needs that shot. Karlsson, who'd I'd say is Schultz' pie in the sky dream big goal, has a much better slapshot and one timer. It's not Weber strong but he consistently gets it on net through traffic from the blue line. Even this preseason, Schultz was not a scoring threat outside of the circles.

He's absolutely played well though. Hope he keeps it up.

Smart Alek

Jul 13, 2002
Preseason

Fool me once...

Not saying you're wrong, but what season are you referring to? There was really no pre-season to speak of for his rookie year (lockout), and I don't remember being impressed by him during pre-season in either years two or three. He may have put up some points, sure, but what we're all discussing today is a seemingly marked improvement in his off-season preparation, and an apparent psychological makeover in his play this pre-season, which seems to all (save you) to be significant enough to warrant praise... and hope.

Again, I'm not saying that you're wrong. I am strongly implying it, however.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Not saying you're wrong, but what season are you referring to? There was really no pre-season to speak of for his rookie year (lockout), and I don't remember being impressed by him during pre-season in either years two or three. He may have put up some points, sure, but what we're all discussing today is a seemingly marked improvement in his off-season preparation, and an apparent psychological makeover in his play this pre-season, which seems to all (save you) to be significant enough to warrant praise... and hope.

Again, I'm not saying that you're wrong. I am strongly implying it, however.

Last preseason he was a beast. He looked very strong and focused as he does now. It was only 3 or so games but I was fooled into thinking hed carry it into the season

Its one thing to put constant effort in 5 pre season games, its another to do it for 82 games, and during tough stretches

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
thought I'd bump this thread since he's coming back soon and there's much talk about whom is going to come out of the lineup (and going down to Bakersfield) to make room for the exhaulted one. Everyone seems to be saying Reinhart will get the hook.

My questions are: is Justin Schultz better than Griffin Reinhart? Is Justin Schultz one of the team's 6 best D?

these are questions that have yet to be answered, yet somehow this guy gets more sugar time than... than.. than a 1st OA (Yak).

Schultz has been given a lot of rope. It's time he used it. I'm hoping Chia is considering the next 40 games (or up to the TD) as Schultz's last chance.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
thought I'd bump this thread since he's coming back soon and there's much talk about whom is going to come out of the lineup (and going down to Bakersfield) to make room for the exhaulted one. Everyone seems to be saying Reinhart will get the hook.

My questions are: is Justin Schultz better than Griffin Reinhart? Is Justin Schultz one of the team's 6 best D?

these are questions that have yet to be answered, yet somehow this guy gets more sugar time than... than.. than a 1st OA (Yak).

Schultz has been given a lot of rope. It's time he used it. I'm hoping Chia is considering the next 40 games (or up to the TD) as Schultz's last chance.

Yes, easily.
Also yes, easily.

Reinhart down, Gryba eating popcorn with Ference. Incredibly straightforward. My only hope is that they don't shuttle him into first pairing minutes again. Leave the top 4 alone and put Schultz with Davidson.

Last edited:

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Schultz is up for grabs in real world trades

I'm assuming you are insinuating that he is on the table in a trade for Hamonic, as you claimed to have inside info about the offer we had on the table for him in the Hamonic thread on the main trade board.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
Yes, easily.
Also yes, easily.

Reinhart down, Gryba eating popcorn with Ference. Incredibly straightforward. My only hope is that they don't shuttle him into first pairing minutes again. Leave the top 4 alone and put Schultz with Davidson.

This on so many levels.

They can't possibly sit Nurse or send him down can they?

Nurse Sekera
Klefbom Fayne
Davidson

Has been the most competent Oilers D in a long time.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
This on so many levels.

They can't possibly sit Nurse or send him down can they?

Nurse Sekera
Klefbom Fayne
Davidson

Has been the most competent Oilers D in a long time.

They send Nurse down and you know it means they don't care about winning any games at all this year.

That said, any idea when Schultz is back? Did he get mono? Hernia?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
They send Nurse down and you know it means they don't care about winning any games at all this year.

That said, any idea when Schultz is back? Did he get mono? Hernia?

There is an injury thread. Schultz had a slipped disc and is targeting this road trip to return. I guess that means hes day to day.

As a fan of Schultz I'm glad hes returning but I agree it should be bottom pairing. If he is truly good this year he can earn his way up. The has been good so there's no rush

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Interesting stats:

With Schultz in the lineup, Oilers are a 500 team (7-7).

With Schultz playing a full game (excluding the game where he left part-way), Oilers are 7-6.

Since Schultzs returned from injury, Oilers are 4-1.

In 4 of those games, he played 15-18 minutes a game, and they won. For the other game (vs Toronto), he played nearer to his season average (20-25 mins), and they lost.

I havent watched him that closely, but has he looked better since returning?

ponokanocker

Nov 17, 2009
Didn't think he looked great last night. Still too soft on the puck and opposing players in the D zone. Fortunately he was used less than 18 minutes last night.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
Interesting stats:

With Schultz playing a full game (excluding the game where he left part-way), Oilers are 7-6.

In 4 of those games, he played 15-18 minutes a game, and they won. For the other game (vs Toronto), he played nearer to his season average (20-25 mins), and they lost.

interesting. I'm still going to chalk it up to goaltending.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
Continues to get out-muscled off the puck. He should honestly become a forward. :laugh:

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Interesting stats:

He hasnt been good at all...and I think its all just a coincidence the team is 4-1 since he came back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad