Justin Schultz

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
JS knowing that he stunk it out this season should help with resigning him to a cheap deal.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
It seemed like he was fairly genuine, but I am not sold he can make significant improvements over this offseason.

I watched his presser and he did seem genuine and almost embarrassed by his play. MacT also made a comment of him finally seeing that he has work to do or something along those lines. That makes me wonder if he hasn't been very serious about getting stronger in the past. Schultz also said that he could get away without being very strong at the NCAA level so it's pretty clear that he didn't work hard on that part of his training back then.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Management has to stop listening to the media hype. They bought in with Schultz and they bought in with Eakins. They basically anointed the #1 dman spot to Schultz and the coaching role to Eakins. How much of that was based on the media hyping them up to be fantastic option for a signing?

Schultz started out playing over 20 mins a game from day one (with a handful of games over 25 mins in his first month as a pro). He was 30 seconds behind the TOI leader in his rookie season, and led the team the last 2 years.

They are playing him like the #1 dman he was hyped as, not what his abilities are showing. Its no wonder the defense is so lost. Its led by someone playing way over his head. Dont believe the hype!

The offence and defense reigns have been handed to kids with no experience or mentors, the coaching reigns were handed to a blowhard with no NHL experience and the goaltending reigns were handed to backups. No wonder this team cant gain traction.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I liked how honest he was with his presser, saying he wasn't happy with his season and that he has to get stronger physically.

He seemed earnest in that regard. I'd give him at least another year unless there is some package coming back that is a no brainer upgrade.

I mentioned it before but at 6'2 ... 188 or whatever is a bit too frail. It's not freakishly skinny or anything but it's on the light side, he should aim to bump up to 195 at least and the strength gains he can make from a summer in the weight room with also help a lot.

I'd wait until July ... if it turns out he has been hitting the gym and is getting bigger ... I'd sign him to a 2-year deal at 4 mill per or thereabouts. Even if you decide to cut him loose after a year, it won't be that hard to find a taker for him IMO. If he has a good year after coming to camp stronger, then at least you can squeeze out an extra year from him at a mid-tier salary rate.

Last edited:

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
The current crop of $4-4.5M D's (where I bet he will end up):

Hamhuis, Dan
Nikitin, Nikita :yo:
Tyutin, Fedor
Coburn, Braydon
Boyle, Dan
Stralman, Anton
Coburn, Braydon
Johnson, Jack
Kulikov, Dmitry
Shattenkirk, Kevin
Mitchell, Willie
Vlasic, Marc-Edouard
Ericsson, Jonathan
Quincey, Kyle
Voynov, Slava
Meszaros, Andrej
Hjalmarsson, Niklas
Emelin, Alexei
Gardiner, Jake
Giordano, Mark
Michalek, Zbynek
Josi, Roman
Ehrhoff, Christian
Seidenberg, Dennis
Hedman, Victor
Zidlicky, Marek
Fowler, Cam

How many of those guys are not an upgrade on Schultz? Niktin...

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I watched his presser and he did seem genuine and almost embarrassed by his play.
That's too bad. Oiler management trying to deflect attention from their "no more than three NHLers at any one time" blueline policy by making the players feel embarrassed that they played poorly. :shakehead

Here's a thought. When workers are provided with incompetent workmates and wrong-headed direction from arrogant managers, they tend to perform poorly.

Schultz needs to get more physical, you are right. But he doesn't need to turn into the Hulk or anything. That's never going to be his game. What any decent coach would do is play him with a bigger, more physical and defensively responsible guy. It would be too depressing to look up the names of all the guys that Schultz has had to partner up with since he made the fatal (to his career) mistake of signing in Edmonton. But I feel confident that none of them fit the description "bigger, more physical and defensively responsible". How do I know this? Because the last Oiler defenceman who fit that description was Souray. Five years ago. When Schultz was still in uni.

Schultz is a long way from wrecked. I believe he can still turn it around. But nobody on this team from Scrivens to Purcell is going to turn anything around unless the Oilers get a coach who knows how to utilize the players according to their relative abilities, and a GM who can procure some decent players to support the pieces he has.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I liked how honest he was with his presser, saying he wasn't happy with his season and that he has to get stronger physically.

He seemed earnest in that regard. I'd give him at least another year unless there is some package coming back that is a no brainer upgrade.

I mentioned it before but at 6'2 ... 188 or whatever is a bit too frail. It's not freakishly skinny or anything but it's on the light side, he should aim to bump up to 195 at least and the strength gains he can make from a summer in the weight room with also help a lot.

I'd wait until July ... if it turns out he has been hitting the gym and is getting bigger ... I'd sign him to a 2-year deal at 4 mill per or thereabouts. Even if you decide to cut him loose after a year, it won't be that hard to find a taker for him IMO. If he has a good year after coming to camp stronger, then at least you can squeeze out an extra year from him at a mid-tier salary rate.

I'm not a Schultz fan but I was similarly impressed that of all the players this one had done the most soul searching. He seemed legitimately disturbed at his play in the exit interview and touched on the things he needed to improve on.

He also touched on whats an important consideration for me is that you can "get away with not playing physical" in NCAA. Its this kind of thing that often makes me question direct applicability to NHL and especially for D.

btw what does it say about Ference, a full grown mature adult, with playing weight of a scrawny 185lbs, when even a young kid KNOWS he needs to be bigger. Good for Justin to accept this when he has a captain that is ill prepared to play in the WC and models an inappropriate offseason regimen.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm not a Schultz fan but I was similarly impressed that of all the players this one had done the most soul searching. He seemed legitimately disturbed at his play in the exit interview and touched on the things he needed to improve on.

He also touched on whats an important consideration for me is that you can "get away with not playing physical" in NCAA. Its this kind of thing that often makes me question direct applicability to NHL and especially for D.

btw what does it say about Ference, a full grown mature adult, with playing weight of a scrawny 185lbs, when even a young kid KNOWS he needs to be bigger. Good for Justin to accept this when he has a captain that is ill prepared to play in the WC and models an inappropriate offseason regimen.

Ference is probably a bit too slight too these days, but 5'11 and 6'2 is a fairly large difference too. Schultz needs to be about 195 just to be around the same range as Ference. 200 pounds would be more ideal.

One also has to wonder how Schultz would do if sheltered properly on a second pairing with lesser minutes and playing with a Nurse or Hanifin.

He's never had the luxury of being partnered with someone that's a clear notch better than him ... Klefbom is good but still very raw and not of the same tier of player that Nurse/Hanifin project to be.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
should we re-sign him? Is there hope for him?

It depends on his ask for me… I still think he brings a element our blue line is lacking… But if he wants any kind of raise though or even the same contract, I ship him out or let him walk.

Kind of hope he gets dealt to be honest, he is one of my least favorite Oilers in the last 10 years… and would give us all something else to B!!!!! about.

Oct 30, 2011
It depends on his ask for me… I still think he brings a element our blue line is lacking… But if he wants any kind of raise though or even the same contract, I ship him out or let him walk.

Kind of hope he gets dealt to be honest, he is one of my least favorite Oilers in the last 10 years… and would give us all something else to B!!!!! about.

If we were going to sign him, I'd hope it would be for two years. I really hate the contract we signed Petry to that pretty forced us to trade him.

A two year contract gives us the flexibility to watch for improvement and then trade him if he doesn't improve.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie
If we were going to sign him, I'd hope it would be for two years. I really hate the contract we signed Petry to that pretty forced us to trade him.

A two year contract gives us the flexibility to watch for improvement and then trade him if he doesn't improve.

Agree if they sign him should be a 2 year deal to at least give them the chance to maximize return if they end up moving him this deadline or next offseason, or even this off season.

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
I like how genuinely upset he was with his season, but I was concerned when he said he had to get alot stronger. Does that mean he's been slacking all these years? He's 24 and if you look at many other 24 year old defensemen, they push him around like a rag doll. Hell, I bet even Ekblad is stronger than him. lol. Makes me think he came into EDM and got too comfortable because he knew no matter what, he wasn't going anywhere. Maybe now he'll put in some serious work this offseason and start taking this more seriously.

You can bet though with all the new management that Chiarelli and McLellan aren't going to give him a pass. So it's basically now or never for him. If he doesn't come into camp in the best shape of his life then say hello to the door when his contract is up.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I like how genuinely upset he was with his season, but I was concerned when he said he had to get alot stronger. Does that mean he's been slacking all these years? He's 24 and if you look at many other 24 year old defensemen, they push him around like a rag doll. Hell, I bet even Ekblad is stronger than him. lol. Makes me think he came into EDM and got too comfortable because he knew no matter what, he wasn't going anywhere. Maybe now he'll put in some serious work this offseason and start taking this more seriously.

You can bet though with all the new management that Chiarelli and McLellan aren't going to give him a pass. So it's basically now or never for him. If he doesn't come into camp in the best shape of his life then say hello to the door when his contract is up.

He's a player that gotten by with a good amount of skill and smooth skating ability.

But it looks like he's never spent much time in the gym at all.

188 6'2 like I said isn't freakishly skinny or anything, but it is definitely on the weaker side.

If he's willing to hit the gym this summer, I'd keep him.

Why

Jan 15, 2014
Edmonton
Im torn on him. He COULD turn out to be what he was projected under a real system, which I think is our only option, just hate the fact that we have to pay so much. His upside is good tho, just not worth what it will cost to find out cause Mac Twit and his norris potential crap

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I'd say qualify him and give it another year. By the trade deadline we could make a decision then. Gryba and Fayne are RHD that are more of a shutdown type, so having Schultz on the PP could be useful, for the time being.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
If he signs for less then 3M sure give him a year or two to see if he can figure it out. Gryba can be the extra d.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
He's a player that gotten by with a good amount of skill and smooth skating ability.

But it looks like he's never spent much time in the gym at all.

188 6'2 like I said isn't freakishly skinny or anything, but it is definitely on the weaker side.

If he's willing to hit the gym this summer, I'd keep him.

He was too weak and did lose too many puck battles, but that's not what made him an ineffective d-man. His biggest obstacles is poor decision making or more specifically making the right play quickly while under pressure. He was good in College and in the AHL when he had the extra space and time, without it he's nowhere near as effective, he wasn't overpowering guys in the AHL, he was using his skills to exploit them. He's never going to match the stronger forwards in the NHL in terms of power he doesn't have the size or the mindset to really grind it out and battle for pucks; utilizing quickness, skill, and smarts are the keys to him being successful.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I think it is way too early to give up on him. He has incredible offensive skills, and is a terrific skater. 3 things need to go right here, all of which are very possible.

1) He puts in a good summer of training and gets stronger. - He recognized this as a problem, lets see how he does.

2) He gets better coaching than he had under Eakins - Done.

3) Oilers sign a guy like Sekera that can make sure Schultz plays 2nd pairing and allows him to work on his game a bit more safely.

I think he still has all the tools to be a top 4 guy on a contending team.

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012

I don't think the weight matters as much if you play with more tenacity but someone with the personality of Schultz needs to be more intelligent with his decision making or at least amp up his leg strength / speed so he can make up for miscues. Also better stick work.

I don't have a problem with Ference's weight more than I have a problem with his stupid choices over and over. He has no brain for the game and unless he's being shielded with a much better defense (Boston at that time) he can't be a top 4 and is barely, imo, a bottom 2.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
throw another 1-year deal at Schultz to prove himself

if he's the same old Schultz, trade him while he still has value
if he learns to play defense with a tiny bit of grit and gets 40 points this season, think about a longer term deal

but 4 million for his play at the moment is brutal cap management

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad