Justin Schultz

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I wonder if he was swayed a bit by media speculation. Everyone was buying into the Oilers being on the cusp of greatness with all of their high draft picks, whereas on the rare occasions that we were mentioned it was always a message of no hope.

Yeah, I wouldn't doubt it. Players don't always have a clearer look at these things than fans do. Especially young guys coming out of minors, busy playing hockey themselves, often don't spend a ton of time watching NHL games beyond their favourite teams. As a Canadian kid, I have no doubt that he bought into a lot of that hype. Most probably did. The Oilers were winning "brightest future" polls around here not that long ago, as well.

TheJoeMan

In Bob We Trust
No, he got more money by going FA. It's not in Bob's character to guarantee rookies ice time, he told him they needed him, i.e. player of his profile. I'm sure that didn't mean "you'll play no matter what".

Honestly, I really don't care. Best revenge is living well.

He was given the rookie max which Bob was offering. Being a free agent didn't offer him more money. He absolutely would have gotten the exact same money. As far as ice-time, no he couldn't guarantee him that but let's be honest about the situation. He would have played a significant role. I mean we can downplay it as much as we want because we hate the kid but he would have had the same opportunity here as he did there, which is what makes his decision so infuriating. That and being a total liar.

Oct 18, 2011
justin's decision to join the oilers over the ducks, is comparable to his ability to play defense
BXobBL0CYAAuvz0.jpg

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
I mean we can downplay it as much as we want because we hate the kid but he would have had the same opportunity here as he did there, which is what makes his decision so infuriating.

While I agree with some of your general points, that's just not true. It's obvious that his way to top minutes was a lot easier in Edmonton. He would have had the same opportunity in the sense that he would have gotten to come in and prove everyone he's worthy of top minutes, but by all means, that task was never remotely comparable in Edmonton and Anaheim. It's still the major part of why he went there.

And while he wouldn't have made more money on the first deal, the choice to go to Edmonton might well have a money-component to it. Getting easy top-minutes, especially as the main PP guy on an otherwise great offensive group with virtually no competition for that on defense, basically guaranteed a good point total right away. With his ELC being a short one after he took this route, it was easily projectable that his second deal in Edmonton would end up a lot more expensive than his second deal here, given lesser minutes and less projectable offensive numbers to negotiate from.

IDuck

Sep 26, 2007
No, he got more money by going FA. It's not in Bob's character to guarantee rookies ice time, he told him they needed him, i.e. player of his profile. I'm sure that didn't mean "you'll play no matter what".

Honestly, I really don't care. Best revenge is living well.
i thought he could only sign a max ELC (which would have been the same no matter who he signed with), but the ducks could have also burned a year off that ELC and got him into money a year sooner

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Technically he did get about $50K/year more because he didn't have to sign for the max allowed the year he was drafted. He got last year's max which was slightly higher. But I agree that he probably thought playing in EDM ws a quicker path to better numbers and a bigger second contract.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
He was given the rookie max which Bob was offering. Being a free agent didn't offer him more money. He absolutely would have gotten the exact same money. As far as ice-time, no he couldn't guarantee him that but let's be honest about the situation. He would have played a significant role. I mean we can downplay it as much as we want because we hate the kid but he would have had the same opportunity here as he did there, which is what makes his decision so infuriating. That and being a total liar.
He actually did get more money by going FA. He could have gotten the same from us after hitting FA and then signing, but the rookie max was less if he signed while we still held his draft rights.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think Justin chose to take guaranteed ice time over developing a good situation. I can imagine how people talked about him being the #1 dog in Edmonton but in Anaheim he'd have to fight for ice time. He was a kid and made a bad and shady decision.

Trying not to be biased but I think he made a really poor decision. Even if he was not playing in the NHL right now (which he should not be), I think Anaheim has proven they know how to develop defenseman. Its very possible he would be on the 3rd pairing with Allen instead of Vatanen.

Instead he's the but of every free agent joked and most importantly he has destroyed confidence for NHL GMs drafting highly touted college players. How can you take a risk after this?

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
i don't think he regrets it at all

i think he'd rather be getting guaranteed ice time on a losing team rather than fighting for a job on a good team. he might regret choosing the oilers but in the end, he got what he wanted

rollingdux

Jun 2, 2012
So Cal
twitter.com
I don't think he regrets it....yet. If the Ducks can consistently be a more competitive team or win before EDM I think he will, but for now getting ice and $ that he wouldn't have gotten here.

Makes you wonder though. Where he'd be had he stayed here. Maybe don't draft Lindholm.....

They say things happen for a reason. So far we're doing just fine without him.

Duck Fan

Jul 28, 2002
Laguna Hills, CA
Visit site
Character in a person is probably the most important ingredient. JS lied to BM regarding his future with the team. He led BM to believe he was going to sign. The team was even willing to burn one year of eligibilty.

At the time I was sorry he didn't sign with the Ducks, but looking back at his actions I am thankful he showed us who he really is. His lack of character would not be a welcome sign in my opinion.

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
That's not at all true. Murph offered him the same money and the same ice-time. There are some moves that would not have been made had he actually signed here, Souray for instance. Yes he's stinking it defensively in Edmonton but that is just a poorly run organization from top to bottom. I think he'd be a much more effective player here than with the Oilers.

But this is all totally moot and I relish in his misfortune (expect his injury. I'd never wish harm on a player).
I guess this is what I am thinking as the reason he would have regret. The Oilers moves confound me and their players seem to leave and do much better wherever they go. Sure he is getting a lot of time there, but is it really quality?

bminucci

Nov 7, 2010
Santa Ana, CA
I am more than happy how things have turned out, we moved on and it worked out that Lindholm is ready for the NHL much quicker than most thought, but I keep thinking that Shultz himself would have been better off here. For his personal development and his career. I am biased, I know, but I still think the Ducks have a record of finding and developing great talent. I think any team that has had success since 05 has had to be able to do that.

la patineuse

Aug 21, 2010
I don't think Schultz regrets not playing for the Ducks. For whatever reason he made up his mind several months before he left college that he didn't want to play for the Ducks. As someone else said up thread, maybe he regrets not choosing another one of the teams that came to court him in Toronto, but I don't think the Ducks were ever going to be in his plans.

That's fine. I think the Ducks may not have drafted Magnus if Schultz signed with the Ducks and although the Ducks could still use Schultz on their pp, I think in the long run, we will be much happier with Magnus, and Shea Theodore looks to be developing in a pretty good offensive defenseman. You can't teach hockey IQ, and Magnus at 19 has more of it in spades than a player who is four years older. The other thing is, I like that all of our young players are ready to compete and are willing to go all out for the team they want to play for. They are still young, but look how they have stepped up with all of the Ducks' injuries; that shows a lot of character. Schultz doesn't have that quality.

Schultz got what he wanted and things turned out pretty well for the Ducks without him, so it's a win-win situation for both parties.

Lord Flashheart

Squadron Commander
Jul 21, 2011
Leipzig/Zg
As already explained by some, simply by virtue of an ELC's he would have gotten more money, but also looking at it and the type of contracts BM hands out, I think it's safe to say he would not have offered that type of contract (max ELC + 2.85m/y bonus), it sets the wrong tone.

DuckTech

In vino veritas
Jul 7, 2011
Rural Orange County
As already explained by some, simply by virtue of an ELC's he would have gotten more money, but also looking at it and the type of contracts BM hands out, I think it's safe to say he would not have offered that type of contract (max ELC + 2.85m/y bonus), it sets the wrong tone.

Actually...IF he had signed right when school was done he would be out of his ELC with the ducks now and making more money.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Actually...IF he had signed right when school was done he would be out of his ELC with the ducks now and making more money.

And he indeed was offered the max, they've confirmed as much.

On some level, how doesn't he regret it to an extent? Ever since he's come into the league, the Ducks have been a top team and the Oilers a mess. Obviously he could've picked any other team, but the Ducks were the one he actually spurned, and it would be tough to have the realization that he forced his way out of that. I imagine he's kicking himself just as much, though, for not going with Ottawa(allegedly his second choice).

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I don't really care given the emergence of Magnus.

HOWEVER, I do enjoy seeing Edmonton lose. I'd be shocked if he doesn't regret it, he basically traded sticking with a solid franchise that has drafted well recently and has solid management and a history of being somewhat competitive for the last 7 years, for arguably the biggest joke of a franchise in the entire league in the last 6 or so years that has a losing culture and hasn't been relevant outside of a cup run since the Gretzky years.

If he stayed with Anaheim, he would of been properly developed with some AHL time and would probably be right on the cusp of the NHL team right now. Instead he goes to Edmonton and shows he's not even close to being ready for NHL action, and is having Edmonton rush him instead.

He got some pretty bad advice me thinks.

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
If I recall management was going to put him right into our line up. I don't see him spending time in the AHL if he was a Duck instead. Mostly I think he would probably just have developed with a better team with Neids as a coach. He and Fowler would have made a pretty dynamic pair. If they can teach Fowler def like they have they could have taught him too.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
If I recall management was going to put him right into our line up. I don't see him spending time in the AHL if he was a Duck instead. Mostly I think he would probably just have developed with a better team with Neids as a coach. He and Fowler would have made a pretty dynamic pair. If they can teach Fowler def like they have they could have taught him too.

After seeing him play 'defence' in Edmonton, I'd almost bet he'd of spent AHL time in Anaheim after a few NHL games, he's far worse then Fowler defensively in his rookie season to put it into some context.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Character in a person is probably the most important ingredient. JS lied to BM regarding his future with the team. He led BM to believe he was going to sign. The team was even willing to burn one year of eligibilty.

At the time I was sorry he didn't sign with the Ducks, but looking back at his actions I am thankful he showed us who he really is. His lack of character would not be a welcome sign in my opinion.

Dont use that ''JS'' for Shultz. At first i thought you were talking about Giggy and was like WTF :laugh:

DavidBL

Jul 25, 2012
Orange, CA
After seeing him play 'defence' in Edmonton, I'd almost bet he'd of spent AHL time in Anaheim after a few NHL games, he's far worse then Fowler defensively in his rookie season to put it into some context.

Fair enough I haven't really seen him play though he wasn't really reported as being unreliable defensively. I wonder if the lack of true structure and going through coaches like guy with runs uses tp is having more of an impact on his development than we'd like to imagine.

JtotheLew

Dec 14, 2009
Seoul, South Korea
I don't think he's as bad as people in this thread are making him out to be.. He had 27 points last season in 48 games.. sure he went -17 but Cam went -25 and -28 in his first two seasons with less points on teams (and in front of goalies) a lot better than what Schultz is working with. He looks a bit lost in his own end but that entire franchise looks a bit lost (both on and off the ice), you can't deny his talent. If he was a Duck right now we would be gushing over him and saying ''once he gets a bit smarter in his own end..'' '' oh I can't believe our future defensive core with Vatanen, Lindholm, Fowler and Schultz!''

People saying we ''dodged a bullet'' are a bit out to lunch, at worst we what? Have a potential top prospect on our AHL team. The only reason I can get behind this statement is due to his off ice antics and lying to the organization (and rejecting phone calls from Niedermeyer! Come on!), but let's no exaggerate or make grandiose statements about his play.

As for the topic of the post, he might regret coming to Anaheim specifically, but he probably more so regrets not signing with any of the other 29 other teams he could have (I'm looking at Toronto). Edmonton is a horribly run franchise and already he has had two coaches in his time there with vastly different styles which can be confusing for a young player who is given a lot of responsibility, he hasn't really had a top Dman to mentor him and to top it all off he has to live in Edmonton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad