Justin Schultz Appreciation Thread

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Later justin!

Got put in a bad position.

One of the guys spoon fed minutes pressured from the ups when he wasn't ready.

Good luck in Pitts. Good thing he has Letang to play behind.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
the only person happier then this board is guy flying out of Edmonton tonight

schultz right now

650927b84bbe2f8e07ba62cd488eda2f.jpg

free-at-last-blog2.png

freeatlast_logo.png

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I always had patience for him, because I remember the hooplah in getting him, and I remember that amazing rookie season he had in the AHL and lockout shortened season. I was hoping something would click and he would recapture that magic. Ultimately, I figured on a team with McDavid and coached by a true veteran in McLellan, he would have a break out year. I really thought that. He started very strong. Then he had that injury. I would say in the past two months he had absolutely zero excuses at all and seemed to only affirm the opinions of his haters. He was our one great chance at a top elite offensive threat on the blue line. It sucks it had to end like this, but the patience had worn off a while ago even.

I do hope he has success out east. I trust Chiarelli will fix our D, and for now getting rid of Schultz is an important first step in doing that.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Never forget:

MacTavish talking about Jultz said:
- I disagree with the perception that he's weaker on the defensive side of things.

- He's very good defensively.

- I know he’s going to be a player that can be counted on in both ends and equally effective in the defensive zone.

- I think that Justin has Norris Trophy potential and I don’t think there are too many people that would disagree with me in that regard.

SupremeTeam16

5-14-6-1
May 31, 2013
Baker’s Bay
the only person happier then this board is guy flying out of Edmonton tonight

schultz right now

650927b84bbe2f8e07ba62cd488eda2f.jpg

free-at-last-blog2.png

freeatlast_logo.png

Good. We don't want losers here who can't be bothered to give 100% every time their skates hit the ice. Couple more guys should be right behind him this summer.

Schultz was misused here but he knew what the deal was when he signed. He knew our defense was weak and he'd be thrust into a position to be relied upon right out of the gate, and he could potentially cash in on a big second contract. He overestimated his abilities just as much as the Oilers did, he's just as much to blame for the position he found himself in.

I can handle a guy who loses confidence and struggles and makes mistakes but I can't handle when a guy obviously gives up like he had. I couldn't stand that look of indifference he had on his face after every goal where he lost his man, or gave up on a play, or turned the puck over resulting in a goal. Eberle does the same thing, perfect example against colorado where he let Barrie just walk in and score and then throws his hands up like someone else should of had him. Or after the Ottawa game how he gave the same stupid post game interview he has giving for 3 years now with the same stupid smirk on his face. I understand it gets old being asked the same questions over and over right after getting your ass handed to you but his body language was that of a guy who doesn't give a ***** and is just saying what the people wanna hear.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
First time in my life I've ever seen a highly sought after FA pick the Oilers. I'll always remember being so happy seeing on TSN that he had chosen the Oilers.

I still think Schultz could've been so much more had he not made the grave mistake of choosing the Oilers to develop him. Oilers are where your career goes to die...Whitney, Ference, Schultz, Brule, Nilsson, Gagner, Ebs, Hall, RNH, Yak, Gilbert, Poti etc etc.

Good luck with a better organization dude.

McGreat One

Jan 1, 2010
I'm going to go ahead and wish the guy the best of luck in Pittsburgh. I know he hasn't been the Dman we here hoping he would become, but knowing that the majority of the blame lies on the organization and previous coaching staff I still hope and believe he can find his game in this league.

Jephman

Jun 1, 2010
I always had patience for him, because I remember the hooplah in getting him, and I remember that amazing rookie season he had in the AHL and lockout shortened season. I was hoping something would click and he would recapture that magic. Ultimately, I figured on a team with McDavid and coached by a true veteran in McLellan, he would have a break out year. I really thought that. He started very strong. Then he had that injury. I would say in the past two months he had absolutely zero excuses at all and seemed to only affirm the opinions of his haters. He was our one great chance at a top elite offensive threat on the blue line. It sucks it had to end like this, but the patience had worn off a while ago even.

I do hope he has success out east. I trust Chiarelli will fix our D, and for now getting rid of Schultz is an important first step in doing that.

You capture my sentiments perfectly.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
is this thread serious? he the single biggest on-ice contributer to the failed rebuild.

And all he had to do was give a damn. he has the tools to be a valuable dman, but he played like a beer league all-star.

good riddance

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
He chose us and for this simple fact i'll always cheer for him. Posters on these boards make the NHL game seem way simpler than it is. Sure perhaps he is "lazy" and "soft" by NHL standards but by real life standards he isn't by a long shot, it isn't easy to make the show and i'm sure he was always just doing his best. A poor development plan and perhaps a lack of raw ability meant he wasn't good enough here but that doesn't justify hating him. I wish him luck.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He chose to come here and at that time it was a BIG thing. He was lights out in the AHL in his rookie season and put up a lot of points in the lockout season. There was a useful player there. Since then a number of things held him back including Schultz himself. I wish him the best going forward and I am very happy that I won't have to see him dogging it anymore on our team.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
is this thread serious? he the single biggest on-ice contributer to the failed rebuild.

And all he had to do was give a damn. he has the tools to be a valuable dman, but he played like a beer league all-star.

good riddance

the entire "core" failed

but schultz is awful anyway.....he can gtfo.

Lesson=core needs to put on some weight and get ready to work the boards and stop pretending they are bonafide all-atars. If they want to stay together as a group they will need to work for each-other to retrieve pucks and make some dirty plays.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Good. We don't want losers here who can't be bothered to give 100% every time their skates hit the ice. Couple more guys should be right behind him this summer.

Schultz was misused here but he knew what the deal was when he signed. He knew our defense was weak and he'd be thrust into a position to be relied upon right out of the gate, and he could potentially cash in on a big second contract. He overestimated his abilities just as much as the Oilers did, he's just as much to blame for the position he found himself in.

I can handle a guy who loses confidence and struggles and makes mistakes but I can't handle when a guy obviously gives up like he had. I couldn't stand that look of indifference he had on his face after every goal where he lost his man, or gave up on a play, or turned the puck over resulting in a goal. Eberle does the same thing, perfect example against colorado where he let Barrie just walk in and score and then throws his hands up like someone else should of had him. Or after the Ottawa game how he gave the same stupid post game interview he has giving for 3 years now with the same stupid smirk on his face. I understand it gets old being asked the same questions over and over right after getting your ass handed to you but his body language was that of a guy who doesn't give a ***** and is just saying what the people wanna hear.

The ability to look at someone and know what they are thinking/feeling surely must make you the world's greatest psychologist...:sarcasm:

People show emotion in different ways, i laugh when i'm nervous but it doesn't mean i think the thing i'm nervous over is funny. He was frustrating to watch and i always was a bit annoyed that he didn't engage enough physically but the pace i which one has to make decisions at the NHL level is something i don't think the average poster realizes, you have to be trying to succeed in the slightest out there. He was trying but for whatever reason he just wasn't good enough. Not everyone s wired the same or shows disappointment the same way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad