Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz (50% retained) to Penguins for 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

DipsyMcDoodles

Apr 6, 2014
Edmonton
Well, here's some Norris potential to help your playoff endeavors ;) In any case, I usually wish players well when traded, but there have been many nights (not limited to myself) where I have physically wanted to punch this guy in the face. Hope it goes well for the Pens anyhow

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Schultz is a disaster in his own end. And is he going to be paired with Pouliot? If so, I fear for that pairing if we make the playoffs. And for Poo's confidence.

I'm neutral on this deal. A 3rd isn't the end of the world but people don't realize how bad Schultz really has been for the Oilers.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Here's Ryan Wilson's take that he wrote this morning:

He is an offensively minded defenseman who is able to help generate shot attempts. Part of the issue in Edmonton has been the fact he has been one of their better defenseman. This speaks to how thin Edmonton has been on the blue line. Two of Schultz's three most common partners are anchors.

Going to a team that can provide him a sheltered bottom pairing role could be very beneficial to the player. He is not a defensive stalwart and acquiring him would be going all in on the Dallas Stars model which is to score as many goals as possible and worry about the rest later. I personally like that approach better than the super conservative defensive approach which we are all subjected to during the 2015-16 Mike Johnston Penguins.

Schultz has a positive dCorsi rating for the first time in his young career this year and it should come as no surprise it was when Edmonton didn't ask as much of him. The addition of Andrej Sekera has lessened the burden on Schultz. Schultz is an RFA at the end of the year and currently makes 3.9M. The 3.9M cap hit would be the biggest stumbling block here. In the offseason Schultz would have to be qualified at 3.0M, but that is if you qualify him. There is nothing that says you have to.
http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Ryan-Wilson/Sensible-Trade-Targets-For-Pittsburgh/177/75105

sf expat71

Nov 10, 2008
Atlantic Ocean
Well, here's some Norris potential to help your playoff endeavors ;) In any case, I usually wish players well when traded, but there have been many nights (not limited to myself) where I have physically wanted to punch this guy in the face. Hope it goes well for the Pens anyhow

Sounds like he'd fit right in.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Sounds like other teams were interested. I'm indifferent about the Pens trading a 3rd. Not the best value but not horrible. If he plays decent he gets a new prove me 1 year contract. If he sucks he's not qualified or given a new contract and walks. 3rd is fine for depth.

Deutschland Dangler

Jun 17, 2014
That doesn't seem to make any sense. I'd like Schultz as a buy-low reclamation project but he's basically just a rental. I seriously doubt that he'll reach his potential until the playoffs.
Can someone explain me what the purpose of this is?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Schultz is a RFA this season, his qualifying offer will be $3m.

Qualifying offer would be $3.9m. Also the team can't take him to salary arbitration in lieu of making a qualifying offer to seek a lower salary award. Players can only be subject to one team-elected arbitration in their careers, and Edmonton already did that with Shultz last year.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Sometimes a player just needs a change of scenery. Hopefully this applies to him.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I didn't really see the point in getting him the other day and nothing has changed. Honestly though if they like the guy a 3rd round pick is probably worse than taking a chance on this guy to see what he's got

Boocock

Feb 3, 2007
So please confirm this... If we make the playoffs, the Pens will have
- 2 2nds
- 1 3rd (we have Canucks & Isles picks, and the most favorable goes to the Canucks)
- 1 4th
- 1 5th
- 1 6th
- 1 7th

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
Not sure about the deal, but give him a chance. A 3rd is a risk I`m willing to take with 50% retained. Yes a 3rd is a lot, but pls dont overvalue it.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
The trade deadline is still a bit off. I wouldn't start slamming the panic button about how little this makes sense until after that date. I acknowledge that Schultz is pretty bad... on a really, really bad team. But this is hardly giving up a ton or taking on a potentially damaging contract so... what gives?

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
That doesn't seem to make any sense. I'd like Schultz as a buy-low reclamation project but he's basically just a rental. I seriously doubt that he'll reach his potential until the playoffs.
Can someone explain me what the purpose of this is?
Ruin as much of the organization as possible so the new owners will be left with nothing?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I had to check the main board.and we are the laughing stock once again... God damn JR, retire already

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad