TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerformanceMcOil

Aug 2, 2005
I've actually thought Schultz has shown some noticeable improvement this year on the defensive side of things. With Brad Hunt he was -6. Partnered with an actual NHL player he's been +4.

If the powerplay wasn't such a dumpster fire (12%!?) he'd likely have at least a few more points on the season.

He shouldn't be playing the most minutes. He never should have at any point in his career. For some reason the coaching staff insists on it. But I think he's a better player so far this year.

Yeah, I don't understand why Schultz, or Ference for that matter, are getting so much criticism. They are at or near the top for GF/GA, SF/SA, CF/CA and TOI this year. Then Petry, Nikitin and Fayne look good by some metrics and less good by others. Marincin hasn't looked very good by any metric, so I find it odd that everyone wants him put in. He was fantastic last year, and maybe deserves a bit of rope based on that, but I think the current deployment of the D reflects what the numbers say very well.

More to your point, Schultz's numbers have improved a lot since last year. He actually is justifying his minutes right now (or a more pessimistic view is that he isn't but no one else is good enough to take them from him). Still a pretty small sample for everyone though, but hopefully he can maintain it.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
It's always entertaining to read previous threads on when some people were actually excitited about Justin Schultz and his contract.

Most people would give him away right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad