Player Discussion Justin Schultz #1 +/- Player In The League

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I personally advocated running Schultz out of town and cutting ties with Dubnyk. It doesn't surprise me that Schultz can succeed in a sheltered role (presently most sheltered among all Pens regular d-men), he was literally the most impressive d-man I've ever watched at the AHL level he can chow down on lesser talents. The thing about Schultz though is it was obvious he required sheltering from the heavy lifting and we couldn't provide that to him in his time here and I didn't think it was likely we would patch up our defense to the extent we have as quickly as we have, 2nd thing which is what pushed me to thinking we needed to move him is his qualifying offer was so god damn high that I was quite confident he wouldn't outperform that contract and even with his "turn-around" I don't think he is worth $3.9M, I also don't think he would've re-signed at a discount for us like he did Pittsburgh. Dubnyk to me is a guy who had talent, but lost his focus and his confidence, one might argue that is when we need to be more patient, but I don't think Dubnyk does that 180 degree turn without that tough year, it was a wake up call for him, also don't forget he passed through 3 teams before winding up in Minny after he left us.

The one I still cry bloody murder about is Jeff Petry, he plays the 3rd toughest mins in Montreal behind Shea Weber and his d-partner. He totally anchors that 2nd pairing for them and look at his stat line in comparison to Weber.

Shea Weber 41 GP 10G 16A 26Pts +/-= +16
Jeff Petry 40 GP 8G 13A 21Pts +/-= +14

Petry also has a higher even strength point production rate per minute played by a decent margin, it's Webers 1st unit powerplay time that puts his numbers over Petry.

Yes, spot on.

It was really a shame that Petry was let go. In the last years that has been the most significant loss and I'd loooove to have him playing with Sekera or Klefbom right now.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Petry
Nurse - Benning
Davidsson

That'd be one hell of 2nd pair (border line 1B) and it would share the load with the 1st.

McDraekke

5-14-6-1
Jan 19, 2006
Edmonton
Yes, spot on.

It was really a shame that Petry was let go. In the last years that has been the most significant loss and I'd loooove to have him playing with Sekera or Klefbom right now.

Klefbom - Larsson
Sekera - Petry
Nurse - Benning
Davidsson

That'd be one hell of 2nd pair (border line 1B) and it would share the load with the 1st.

I think you're not giving Russell enough credit. He has been a great signing and an important part of our blueline's improvement this year.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I think you're not giving Russell enough credit. He has been a great signing and an important part of our blueline's improvement this year.

You are right, he has been an important addition. For me he'd compete with Nurse and Benning but I prefer having those guys playing sheltered on 3rd pair rather than a veteran like Russel. He has undoubtedly done wonders for our blue line together with Larsson.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada

I don't like Russell.

I mean I like that we have him.....he's great for depth. Like he should give your team an advantage if you have him as a 4/5 D. But, IMO. You need guys that can challenge him for 4 because he has some big flaws trying to get the puck out when he's near the boards and doesn't really stand out offensively.

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
I don't like Russell.

I mean I like that we have him.....he's great for depth. Like he should give your team an advantage if you have him as a 4/5 D. But, IMO. You need guys that can challenge him for 4 because he has some big flaws trying to get the puck out when he's near the boards and doesn't really stand out offensively.

Agreed. For the Oilers, especially given what our defence used to look like, he is a great second pairing defenceman. But as we move forward and perhaps actually become a playoff team and eventual contender we will need more of a rock in the second pairing.

McCrumb

Nov 13, 2005
Good for him. I am not surprised though. Look at the names that have passed through the Oilers over the years with little to show for while here and had decent pedigree coming in. Gagner, Cogs, Schultz, MPS, MAP, Omark, Yak, Petry, Nilsson, Schremp, Dubnyk etc... Eebs and RNH look to be out the door with the fans. Many on here saying Hall was a cancer and don't mind he is gone. You would think a few of those guys would have turned out and been fan favorites just by accident. Hall is easily the best in that regard. All of those first overalls and 1st round draft picks all gone to crap. I don't think the evidence shows we can blame this all on the player. I am glad he has turned it around.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
i don't see why you're so happy... are you not an Oilers fan?

Of course I'm an Oilers fan, but who doesn't enjoy being proven right? I had to eat a mile of 54!t over the years among my buddies and on these boards when I'd speak out in favour of both of these players having elite potential that the Oilers were failing to develop.

destro909

Jan 3, 2008
Good for him. I am not surprised though. Look at the names that have passed through the Oilers over the years with little to show for while here and had decent pedigree coming in. Gagner, Cogs, Schultz, MPS, MAP, Omark, Yak, Petry, Nilsson, Schremp, Dubnyk etc... Eebs and RNH look to be out the door with the fans. Many on here saying Hall was a cancer and don't mind he is gone. You would think a few of those guys would have turned out and been fan favorites just by accident. Hall is easily the best in that regard. All of those first overalls and 1st round draft picks all gone to crap. I don't think the evidence shows we can blame this all on the player. I am glad he has turned it around.

I agree, I'd say that bad player development really limited the potential of some of those guys. Although some like MAP, Omark, Schremp, and Nilsson just didn't have what it takes for the NHL.

You can see when guys are used in the correct role (Gagner - depth RW, Cogliano 3rd line LW, Schultz 3rd pair D, Petry 2nd pair D) then suddenly they are much more effective. Thankfully now we have enough depth that we should no longer see guys forced into positions above their heads.

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
you and your intelligent fan base sure were not loyal to Schultz when he was developed and used poorly, and had to play over his head. Everything he did earned him a beat down by the fans.

maybe show some loyalty to players through good AND bad.
he was thrown into a role he wasn't ready for, and then developed very poorly by coaching staff. but your intelligent fan base loyalty booed him and insulted him because he didn't immediately save the team.

forget loyal, intelligent fan base. you mean hypocritical fan base. he was treated like dirt and then blamed for giving up at the very end? who could blame him, really.
While I think your conclusion ('who could blame him') is not one I would draw since Schultz cashed his paychecks right to the end, I can't help feeling like your overall point is exactly on the money. Especially the bold. Very little loyalty on this site.

I think its down to the repeated years of FOA picks. The younger, or newer, fan has been accustomed nothing but losing. Given that I think many fans began to look to the next big hope to do something the others before him have failed to do. So rather than look at Oiler 'vets' as guys who were put in a very tough situation (I mean lets be honest and say that whenever Schultz or Dubnyk or Eberle or Hall gets called out for 'quitting on the team' we are talking about a team that made no effort whatsoever to win for at least two seasons and specifically planned to hoover up the FOA picks as a path to success) they become guys who have failed us. And a target for fan frustration.

Happy for Schultz that he has turned it around. Gagner too. Not sure why, but I have a lot less love for Dubnyk. :laugh:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
As a guy with a Schultz jersey and a Dubnyk jersey, I friggin love it. Suck it, haters. Suck it long. Suck it hard.

You sound like you are compensating for bad choices. Maybe you should switch to a winning team with your great taste :sarcasm:

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Well, he probably would do just fine as No.5-6 on this version of the Oilers. In those days he was expected to play on the top pairing with no real support around him. Little wonder he floundered.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Well, he probably would do just fine as No.5-6 on this version of the Oilers. In those days he was expected to play on the top pairing with no real support around him. Little wonder he floundered.

lol. He's a #4 on the Pens. He would be a #4 here now. he's better than Russel atm

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00