Player Discussion Justin Schultz #1 +/- Player In The League

Numz

Oct 7, 2013
+/- 23

38 GP 7G 17A

Thoughts? :popcorn:

Craig MacTavish quote back in 2014.

“I disagree with the perception that he’s weaker on the defensive side of things. He showed me at the end of last year that he was managing the decisions on when to go, when to probe offensively, when to get back. I know he’s going to be a player that can be counted on in both ends. I think that Justin has Norris Trophy potentia and I don’t think there are too many people who disagree with me in that regard… What Justin brings, everybody’s looking for, and we’re thankful we have him.”

Last edited:

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Being properly utilized in a sheltered role for the first time in his career. Schultz has always had the skill to be an elite offensive d-man in this league. No surprise he's flourishing now that he's actually getting used appropriately.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Good for him sincerely.

However, he ****ing flat out quit on us at the end. We're an intelligent fan base, I can deal with a player not being good (i.e. Yak), but quitting at the end on us was pathetic.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Oilers honestly need to have a cold, hard look at their player usage. What was really the benefit in playing the guy over his head here, it's not like we were winning games either way.

Jepprey

Creeper
May 25, 2006
Oilers put him in a position to fail.

He failed and he quit on his team.

New environment. Newfound heart.

Good for him, I guess.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
As a guy with a Schultz jersey and a Dubnyk jersey, I friggin love it. Suck it, haters. Suck it long. Suck it hard.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Good for him sincerely.

However, he ****ing flat out quit on us at the end. We're an intelligent fan base, I can deal with a player not being good (i.e. Yak), but quitting at the end on us was pathetic.

Might have had something to do with every time he made a mistake on the ice the "intelligent fan base" would ruthlessly tear him apart during and after the game. His confidence was absolutely destroyed here.

It's too easy to blame the player who is out the door. Too many times now we chase a guy out of town only for him to rebound elsewhere.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Might have had something to do with every time he made a mistake on the ice the "intelligent fan base" would ruthlessly tear him apart during and after the game. His confidence was absolutely destroyed here.

It's too easy to blame the player who is out the door. Too many times now we chase a guy out of town only for him to rebound elsewhere.

I'm not saying we aren't to blame for some of it, but come on, he ****ing quit at the end. That is never alright with me.

Dubynk I'm happy for. Hall, I wish him nothing but success, he was a good soldier. Yakupov, I hope it works out for him.

I don't care whatsoever for Schultz. If he does well, good. I'm not going out of my way to hate. But he's essentially dead to me.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
I'm not saying we aren't to blame for some of it, but come on, he ****ing quit at the end. That is never alright with me.

Dubynk I'm happy for. Hall, I wish him nothing but success, he was a good soldier. Yakupov, I hope it works out for him.

I don't care whatsoever for Schultz. If he does well, good. I'm not going out of my way to hate. But he's essentially dead to me.

I never saw him quit. You might want to read up on something called "confirmation bias." Might be interesting.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I never saw him quit. You might want to read up on something called "confirmation bias." Might be interesting.

Those last 5 games or so? Seriously?

He would literally just give the puck away with such lackadaisical effort in our own zone and give zero effort. He knew he was on the way out and quit. It was obvious.

I know what confirmation bias is, spouting academic qualifications would be silly in this situation.

I don't know, I saw a total lack of effort in the games leading up to his trade. Like I said, I'm not going to go out of my way to wish ill on him. He's doing better, good for him (sincerely). But his effort at the end I can't respect.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

It's more that he was played over his head.

What the hell was the point of doing that when you know it's a young kid you're dealing with. Play Fayne or Nikitin those minutes, who cares, it's not like we were winning anything anyway.

NAF

Beauty Fakes
Sep 30, 2010
Those last 5 games or so? Seriously?

He would literally just give the puck away with such lackadaisical effort in our own zone and give zero effort. He knew he was on the way out and quit. It was obvious.

I know what confirmation bias is, spouting academic qualifications would be silly in this situation.

I don't know, I saw a total lack of effort in the games leading up to his trade. Like I said, I'm not going to go out of my way to wish ill on him. He's doing better, good for him (sincerely). But his effort at the end I can't respect.

I saw a good kid who was in over his head, who struggled, and who ended up getting booed every time he touched the puck in his own barn, and I saw that the booing crushed him and pissed off his teammates.

You saw a quitter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I saw a good kid who was in over his head, who struggled, and who ended up getting booed every time he touched the puck in his own barn, and I saw that the booing crushed him and pissed off his teammates.

You saw a quitter. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The booing was at the very end. I don't know, I used to play D and at the very end he quit in my eyes, his effort level was pathetic. Just my opinion.

But yes, these views are subjective of course. I will agree he was thrown way over his head, that point is completely fair.

He never should have been thrust into top pairing minutes with garbage D partners. That's our fault. I still believe when he knew he was on the way out he stopped trying.

In the last 10 games before the trade (which he knew was coming): 0g, 1a, -11.

Again, sure my opinion he quit is subjective. However, there is objective evidence he was terrible in the preceding games before the trade. This is without using the eye test and seeing how he actually played and how pathetic it was at the end.

Like I said, I don't wish ill on him. However, he's a player I don't respect.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Bully for him. He was ****ing putrid for us, and is doing well sheltered on the Stanley Cup champions. How bout that.

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
I was a huge Schultz fan, but after paying for tickets and attending the Blues game where Chris Stewart, yes that Chris Stewart got a hat-trick in like 9 mins toi I gave up on Schultz. (Score was 6-0 Blues...)
You could tell the team was trying to get just one goal for the fans but by the second period Schultz had checked out and was atrocious. The only player i noticed who just stopped trying. Coasted the rest of the game, had bad giveaways, no urgency in his play. After that I turned on him, no room for players like that in EDM.

At the end of the day good for him, found a solid NHL job on an elite team. Not happy for him as I am for Gags and Dubnyk thats for sure.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I don't remember him getting booed (loudly anyway) until his last game when he fumbled a pass at centre and then didn't try very hard to get back, which resulted in a goal. McLellan scratched him for the next three games until the trade.

As for the thread, good for him. I don't miss the player one bit though. Quite easily one of my most hated Oilers of all-time.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This is what truly matters. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't remember him getting booed (loudly anyway) until his last game with the Oilers when he fumbled a pass at centre and then didn't try very hard to get back, which resulted in a goal. McLellan scratched him for the next three games until the trade.

As for the thread, good for him. I don't miss the player one bit though. Quite easily one of my most hated Oilers of all-time.

Can't stand Schultz for the behaviour at the end. But if some want to re-write history and pretend he didn't quit (which he ****ing did, come on boys I know you guys remember the end).

If others want to give him flowers and praise him for "finding his way". Great, I honestly don't wish ill on him. I know you two don't either.

But guys like us remember how it ended. He ****ing quit. I'll never respect Schultz. Yakupov, I love the kid and will defend him and stick up for him, same with Hall, Gagner, and Dubynk. Schultz? **** Jultz, he's a quitter.

I have no respect for people that are quitters and cowards.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Good for him sincerely.

This. I'm seeing the same from Ebs. It's sad saying this cause 2010-12 Ebs was my favorite Oiler

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This. I'm seeing the same from Ebs. It's sad saying this cause 2010-12 was my favorite Oiler

If a guy just isn't good at hockey, that's fine. If he gave everything he had, I'll always respect that. I know plenty of guys that gave everything they had, but just weren't that good (Lander comes to mind on the Oilers).

I would never hate on a guy that gave everything he had but just wasn't good enough. It's the quitting or lack of effort I can't stand.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Why do we keep playing young players over their head?

If a young guy can only handle say 15 minutes on D a night and on the 3rd pairing .... why would keep forcing him to play on the top pairing?

What do you think is going to happen after 2-3 years of that?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Why do we keep playing young players over their head?

If a young guy can only handle say 15 minutes on D a night and on the 3rd pairing .... why would keep forcing him to play on the top pairing?

What do you think is going to happen after 2-3 years of that?

Petry was playing top pairing. Schultz had PP and gravy minutes. He simply gave up on the team. And was asking for 4M/avv. That type of attitude had to be shipped out. There's a reason why he was booed. Oilers fans do not tolerate that kind of effort

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Petry was playing top pairing. Schultz had PP and gravy minutes. He simply gave up on the team. And was asking for 4M/avv. That type of attitude had to be shipped out. There's a reason why he was booed. Oilers fans do not tolerate that kind of effort

Exactly. We grew up playing hockey and have a proud history with our team.

Whatever Jultz does, good for him. But he quit at the end, so **** him.

Even tonight, our guys gave full effort. I have no complaints about the skaters. A baby faced kid like Benning laying a beat down in his fight, **** yeah. That's our kind of guy.

It's about attitude. It's about belief and brotherhood, standing by each other. Our fan base needs to toughen up (which we have considerably) and remember that it's okay to feel proud again of our team.

We're tough, western Canadian people. We're loyal and we love our team. Our team needs to give us the same loyalty back. Period.

We're seeing it now. The Oilers are starting to represent "us" again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad