Player Discussion Justin Schultz #1 +/- Player In The League

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Might have had something to do with every time he made a mistake on the ice the "intelligent fan base" would ruthlessly tear him apart during and after the game. His confidence was absolutely destroyed here.

It's too easy to blame the player who is out the door. Too many times now we chase a guy out of town only for him to rebound elsewhere.
This always the players fault fans are never wrong on there evaulations . From Arnott on it's been steady. Now it's Eberle/ Rnh gets old.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
This always the players fault fans are never wrong on there evaulations . From Arnott on it's been steady. Now it's Eberle/ Rnh gets old.

It preceded Arnott, some ran Coffey out of town way back when.

Even still, you must admit that Schultz wasn't innocent in all of this. If you honestly believe Schultz gave a full effort the last 10 games and did everything he could to help us win I'll respect your right to your opinion, even if I disagree.

Having said that, I have a hard time believing any fan who watched Jultz's last 10 games would come away thinking he gave 100% effort for our team.

Oilers10

I hate Dallas Eakins
Dec 4, 2004
LOL player after player after player fails in Edmonton and its always their fault. This organization has a bullet proof vest especially Lowe and MacT.

Oct 15, 2008
Schultz played like he wanted out. Hard to blame him when you are playing for a team being run into the ground by the dumbest man in hockey, it can be hard to muster the will to care and sacrifice.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Good for him sincerely.

However, he ****ing flat out quit on us at the end. We're an intelligent fan base, I can deal with a player not being good (i.e. Yak), but quitting at the end on us was pathetic.

for such an "intelligent fan base" we sure treat players like complete crap around here.

he was used very badly by the oiler management and treated like dog crap by the intelligent fan base" long before he gave up at the end.

you'd think "intelligent fan bases" wouldn't boo and hate on a player that is developed poorly by the team, and used poorly.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We're tough, western Canadian people. We're loyal and we love our team. Our team needs to give us the same loyalty back. Period.

you and your intelligent fan base sure were not loyal to Schultz when he was developed and used poorly, and had to play over his head. Everything he did earned him a beat down by the fans.

maybe show some loyalty to players through good AND bad.
he was thrown into a role he wasn't ready for, and then developed very poorly by coaching staff. but your intelligent fan base loyalty booed him and insulted him because he didn't immediately save the team.

forget loyal, intelligent fan base. you mean hypocritical fan base. he was treated like dirt and then blamed for giving up at the very end? who could blame him, really.

The Safe Play

Jul 8, 2011
I like Matt Benning more, at least that guy plays with grit.

Schultz was pathetic and showed a lack of effort from day one, good riddance.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
you and your intelligent fan base sure were not loyal to Schultz when he was developed and used poorly, and had to play over his head. Everything he did earned him a beat down by the fans.

maybe show some loyalty to players through good AND bad.
he was thrown into a role he wasn't ready for, and then developed very poorly by coaching staff. but your intelligent fan base loyalty booed him and insulted him because he didn't immediately save the team.

forget loyal, intelligent fan base. you mean hypocritical fan base. he was treated like dirt and then blamed for giving up at the very end? who could blame him, really.

I could go off here, but I won't I'll show restraint. Don't ever question my loyalty to this team, I've suffered like everyone else and given up my own personal time to support this team.

You have no right to question my loyalty to this squad, **** I'm just going to bite my tongue here.

You seem to have a problem with me calling my Oiler brethren's intelligent. Okay, we're all hypocritical idiots that know nothing about the game.

Regarding the booing, that occurred at the very end when Schultz quit on us. But what do I know? I'm a hypocrite with zero loyalty :shakehead.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Is anyone surprised that a properly sheltered Justin Schultz is an asset?

The Oilers put him in a horrible position.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
I could go off here, but I won't I'll show restraint. Don't ever question my loyalty to this team, I've suffered like everyone else and given up my own personal time to support this team.

You have no right to question my loyalty to this squad, **** I'm just going to bite my tongue here.

You seem to have a problem with me calling my Oiler brethren's intelligent. Okay, we're all hypocritical idiots that know nothing about the game.

Regarding the booing, that occurred at the very end when Schultz quit on us. But what do I know? I'm a hypocrite with zero loyalty :shakehead.

I think you were speaking in general, as I was. I wasn't intending to make a personal attack. if you felt that way, I apologize.

I do believe you are loyal to the team, but perhaps many fans are not being fair or loyal to the players themselves.
you brought up the intelligent fan base, and I think at times that fan base has more of a mob mentality. that's more what I was speaking to, in regards to your posts.

you're better off speaking for yourself and not the fans in general, as I think the fans are often over the line when it comes to turning on players.

to paraphrase tommy lee jones from men in black. individual fans are smart, a fan base is stupid.

IAGTTAYM

Dec 15, 2006
Good on him for turning it around. He was beaten down to the ground at the point he was traded and I didn't think he would bounce back at all. But I guess that tells you how badly miscasted he was when he was here, because as a 3rd pair guy at EVS and with PP time, he can have success.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I think you were speaking in general, as I was. I wasn't intending to make a personal attack. if you felt that way, I apologize.

I do believe you are loyal to the team, but perhaps many fans are not being fair or loyal to the players themselves.
you brought up the intelligent fan base, and I think at times that fan base is more of a mob mentality. that's more what I was speaking to, in regards to your posts.

you're better off speaking for yourself and not the fans in general, as I think the fans are often over the line when it comes to turning on players.

All good, and perhaps I'm still upset about leaving points on the table after dominating the Sens last night. My passion might be over the top, and I fully understand that passion can blind reason.

Regarding fans in general, yes collectively we are bipolar and have a history of turning on players (hardly new to HF, this goes back decades). However, I would say the average Oiler fan is among the more intelligent hockey fan relative to NHL fans as a whole.

Maybe we view our fellow Oiler faithful differently?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well, this at least goes to show that we do not ruin players. Players who struggle here in their younger years can go on to excel.

I also disagree that his effort level here was lacking. A lack of confidence can come off as laziness in how it manifests itself. I think when a player thinks everything they do is wrong, they end up doing less. If things go well for you all the time, you have good support, and your confidence soars, you end up having tons of energy and are engaged more all over the ice.

It also shows that you cannot fully judge young Dmen until they reach their prime, and that you should have patience with young players. Also, look at who we gave him as partners. While getting top minutes, he got Ference, Nikitin, Nurse, Klefbom as his top partners. During his rookie season with Whitney, a real veteran, he actually looked really good.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Oilers thrust players waaaaay too young into a lineup, when they should be continuing to develop.

Justin Schultz was 23 when he joined the Oilers, fresh out of college.

If he had spent 2 years in the AHL, then played on the 3rd pairing and brought up slowly, he would start showing that second line potential right about now and only be in his 3rd season with the big club.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Count me in as another fan who's mostly happy to see our throw offs continue to expose the God awful **** show that was/is the Oilers organization and their 'development strategy'. Would have been nice if we hadn't ****ed up so badly with Schultz as he's a puck moving offensive dman with a right handed shot... On pace for 50+ points... Aka exactly what we're desperate for at the moment.

Oh, and he has been getting way more than 3rd pairing minutes for the Pens sometimes, particularly after Letang was injured. He was getting 20+ minutes a night and killing it anyways. Oh well. Maybe one day we'll stop ruining exciting young talents. At least it got us McDavid and he's too amazing for the Oilers to screw up.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
This. I'm seeing the same from Ebs. It's sad saying this cause 2010-12 Ebs was my favorite Oiler

Schultz absolutely quit and didn't care to give the effort required to improve himself so **** that guy but I really don't get the same sense from Eberle, I think Eberle is just flat out lost and doesn't know what to do to get his scoring touch back.

Guy went from being money in shoot outs to not even getting on the ice for them, that's not effort or quitting just losing your touch. It'll come back at some point just who knows when.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I remember that thread, all the posts calling out how stupid the thread was got deleted. As you can see, it got closed quickly.

Oilers fans are classy. One fan does not represent the entire fan base

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Oilers fans are classy. One fan does not represent the entire fan base

I think generally we're a pretty good group of fans. I've got nothing but love for our fan base, even people I disagree with.

Anyways, I'm not going to go off and ream out some of the vitriol that's been thrown in this thread. Those that view us generally as "hypocrites" and "unloyal", I don't see it.

Could you imagine Hawks (yeah they bailed when things were tough in the 90s/early 2000s), Panthers, Blue Jackets, Canes, etc. fans enduring what we did while filling the stands and contributing positively to revenues?

Man, I hope we get into the playoffs and come together behind the team. A good Oiler team is good for the NHL.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I'll never forget the last game I saw Schultz play, a 1-0 shutout win against the Carolina Hurricanes.

In the second period, there was a moment where the Canes cleared the puck and it would've been an icing to give our unit a break. Schultz was the lone defender back. Instead of simply letting the play go under his stick, Schultz corralled the puck short of the red line and promptly gunned it past everyone into the Carolina zone for an Oiler icing.

Regardless of whether or not it was a confidence issue or an effort issue, it was a very frustrating play to watch and it put the Oilers in a bad position.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
He is succeeding now in spite of us, because as a fanbase, despite us being fiercely loyal and love our team....we are chock full of self-righteous redneck a-holes.

We all "grew up playing hockey" yet were never good enough to get past pee-wee. We are fiercely loyal yet boo our players. We are proud of our team yet throw jerseys on the ice.

Tell me...what are your thoughts on bullying? And spare me the "he's a professional" BS. He is also a person...who just so happens to have feelings and also personal pride in the skill-set he has spent his life developing.

I have no problem with calling out a player after bad performances...but hounding him and harassing him and booing every time he just touches the puck?? Deplorable. No wonder he "quit"...it was the only way he had to tell the fans "**** you!"

Just be happy for him and move on.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
A classy fanbase doesn't boo their own players off of home ice, no matter how badly said player may have deserved it.

We're proud and we're loyal, but we aren't particularly classy and never have been.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
Good for him.

But from an Oilers perspective...who the **** cares? He was absolute trash here, and he was never going to be this player for the Oilers. We did the right thing for sure.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
A classy fanbase doesn't boo their own players off of home ice, no matter how badly said player may have deserved it.

We're proud and we're loyal, but we aren't particularly classy and never have been.

Meh. Probably shouldnt have booed him, but it wasnt classy of him to quit on the organization. You reap what you sow.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00