Justin Holl Discussion Thread

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
We need to get Barrie going now. Damn if he starts to play we can look like I thought we would after summer trades. He still looks lost to me with us. Just watch his playoff games last year with Avs where he was outstanding carrying puck and joining rush. I hope he is not one of those guys who needs a system to play his game.

Agreed. Barrie is SO much better than what he's showing so far with the Leafs. Once he's back to his normal self, the only D I don't like on the team would be Ceci.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
Had a good game last night. Was a big part of the 2 Leaf goals last night. Had 1 assist to show for it.

Keep er going kid!

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
He's been alright! Let's see him against the entire league and against teams 2nd/3rd times. If he passes those tests then it would soon be time to consider extending the player. Will he take that one Faustian free agent defenseman contract of maximum money on the open market that usually ends in buyout or AHL burial? Or will he want to re-sign with the organization that resurrected his pro hockey career from the ashes?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
He's been even better after moving up to bigger minutes and tougher usage on the shutdown pair.

Better than anything we had on the right side last year.

Reactions: weems and definedMF

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Full credit to the player and management for the two year contract. The cap hit came in handy particularly for this season's cap crunch. Holl's game has taken a significant leap forward, from first playing regularly to now advancing up in the lineup. Definitely proved me wrong. Quite the difference a season can make!

Hclass47

Apr 28, 2018
Excellent so far this season.

Hopefully we can get him under $2 million for next year.

anything more than 2M will definitely be difficult for the leafs to keep him.

assuming the budget remains at 18.5M for the entire d (same as this year)

Reilly 5.5M
Barrie 7
Holl 2
Dermott 2
Sandin 1
Lily 1

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
He has been solid this year, to echo Leivo comments to the media regarding the situation in Toronto and Babcock-it was Toxic for my career. Now that Babcock is gone and he can play his game he is showing he is a gamer.

I think the reason why he is excelling is that he isn’t being asked to do too much. I would say he is an very good 3rd pairing D. I would be looking at under 2, anything more and you let him walk.

Reactions: Menzinger

Face Of Bear

Jul 30, 2012
2 less points than Barrie in 2 less gp. No PP time. Not too bad...

He's still a replacement level player though and Dubas will have to be careful not splurging on his re-signing

ToneBone03

Trust the Shanaplan
Dec 11, 2008
Central Newfoundland
Saw him a few years ago when the Marlies played the IceCaps in the preseason here in Gander. Holl was by far and away the best player on the ice. He looked like an NHL defenseman back then. He's finally getting a chance to prove it now and he's not disappointing. Thanks, Keefe.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
How he continues to learn and adapt at his advanced age is remarkable.

A guy who always had the talent and tools but never got the chance and is finally putting it all together upstairs as well?

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
Saw him a few years ago when the Marlies played the IceCaps in the preseason here in Gander. Holl was by far and away the best player on the ice. He looked like an NHL defenseman back then. He's finally getting a chance to prove it now and he's not disappointing. Thanks, Keefe.
Any oppertunity I had to see Holl,was with the Marlies (TV),
and he always looked the best of the bunch,to me.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How he continues to learn and adapt at his advanced age is remarkable.

A guy who always had the talent and tools but never got the chance and is finally putting it all together upstairs as well?
Dman almost always take a lot longer to develop. In today's game teams 3 puck moving dman are getting their shots much earlier than ever before - probably because of the CAP. But the 3 more defensive defenders take time to develop the understanding of the position. Again because of CAP too many guys are learning in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: