Justin Holl Discussion Thread

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
Needs to do more if he wants to be considered a legit bottom pairing defenseman. Right now is functioning as a solid depth/#7 option, but a #5/#6 needs to handle more than 14 minutes a night... Especially on a team with Barrie struggling and Ceci being forced to play 22-23 minutes a night.

It's nice to see he's not a total disaster as originally expected, but he's hardly exceeding expectations for someone in his role either.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Needs to do more if he wants to be considered a legit bottom pairing defenseman. Right now is functioning as a solid depth/#7 option, but a #5/#6 needs to handle more than 14 minutes a night... Especially on a team with Barrie struggling and Ceci being forced to play 22-23 minutes a night.

It's nice to see he's not a total disaster as originally expected, but he's hardly exceeding expectations for someone in his role either.
Are you on drugs? He was our best defender last night by far. And he singlehandedly made the big SKILL play to spring Willy and Matty for their give and go goal. You are really really off on this one.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto

What a disaster of a compliment.

Reactions: Al14

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
We need to get Barrie going now. Damn if he starts to play we can look like I thought we would after summer trades. He still looks lost to me with us. Just watch his playoff games last year with Avs where he was outstanding carrying puck and joining rush. I hope he is not one of those guys who needs a system to play his game.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Holl looked awful during stretches last year.

He's definitely put in the work and has really blossomed into a useful Right-handed D that the team desperately needs.

Let me throw this out there: salaries aside - who is the better D - Holl or Zaitsev?

Holl has been better defensively and slightly better offensively so far this season. Zaitsev obviously has the considerable advantage in minutes. Tough to take salary completely out of the equation though. I'd say Holl is providing the much better value, even if the role isn't all that similar.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015

Didn't he just play 17 minutes? Barrie played 18. Not that your comment really makes sense in general

Reactions: illusory

MarMarSab3

formerly #13 & TML4EVR
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto
Upgrading on Holl is not the issue, hes been surprisingly a very good #6 and at the cost its exactly what this team needs. Getting Barrie going is essential and an upgrade on Ceci (who Fwiw hasn't been terrible) is where our d needs to be addressed IMHO

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
He looks to be a solid option for the bottom pairing this season.

Folks on these boards have always had weirdly high standards/expectations for #5/6 guys, when a glance across the league hardly shows a ton of better bottom pairing guys on most other teams

Reactions: Kiwi and illusory

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
In hindsight , there have been some terrible front office decisions in the past few years but it's clear that the organization has made several good moves also.

The Leafs have made some great moves ie. developing several players (including Holl, Timashov). The whole Marlies development system has been an absolute success and I hope Holl can keep his good play up.

Theyve also been hitting it out of the park in the draft (Sandin, Lijegren, Robertson), signing Mikheyev, Getting an adequate return on the Kadri trade...

When you look at several other teams, there isnt much going on - look at the Kings - they are crap

Davidos193

Feb 12, 2019
Babcock has finally realized (at least I hope) that Holl is a better option than Marincin on the third pairing. About time. Please Please Please keep Holl where is he and Marincin with the Marlies.

Reactions: Ashdown2

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden
We need to get Barrie going now. Damn if he starts to play we can look like I thought we would after summer trades. He still looks lost to me with us. Just watch his playoff games last year with Avs where he was outstanding carrying puck and joining rush. I hope he is not one of those guys who needs a system to play his game.

I hope they try Barrie on PP1 as it would free up Marner and Matthews as Barrie's shot is good enough to warrant better coverage. Nothing against Rielly's overall value to the team but his mediocre shot is probably ine of the reasins why the pp1 isnt clicking

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Just watched the game again and ....
He’s playing with so much confidence
That third pairing is better than the first and second
Rielly Holl
Dermott Muzzin
Barrie cc

I like Holl this year but both the analytics and the raw numbers combined with QoC say Ceci has been probably the best D on the team this year and an above average first pairing shutdown RHD.

I would think twice about not having him on your team.

Reactions: Cams and Eye Test

Ashdown2

Aug 19, 2006
Babcock has finally realized (at least I hope) that Holl is a better option than Marincin on the third pairing. About time. Please Please Please keep Holl where is he and Marincin with the Marlies.

praise jesus . there is hope for babcock afterall........ hes obsessed with the guy for no reason.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
It's not about Babcock.

Holl is playing above where he was last year through hard work and dedication....just as he has done for a few years now. Always getting better by probably listening to the coaches. Why are people making everything about Babcock and it has to be negative? It's like a cult now.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I like how he's come a long way and played himself into his own thread.

I think that this just shows that Holl was put in a bad place everytime he was put out there last year. Babs keeps saying how practice is not game speed whenever a player is coming back from injuries...yet he would let him sit for 20 game stretches at a time and put him in only to see him struggle...only to yank him yet again for 20 games.

I really thought he was crap...I never in a million years thought he would be even half decent. Boy am I glad Dubas saw something in him and wouldn't let him go through waivers.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Have to admit, Holl has proven me wrong this season (so far). He has been a solid bottom pair Dman. Hasn't made any glaring errors, and he actually has a physical edge to his game, which is sorely lacking throughout this embarassingly soft roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad