Recalled/Assigned: Justin Holl back to the Marlies

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
Holl is one of those guys who you want to see stick. 26-years-old, unsigned out of college by the team that drafted him, started in the ECHL, and has now got his chance to play the NHL. He looked good tonight and looks like he may get in tomorrow too. Here's hoping he can keep it up.

Jackothy

Jun 10, 2009
This definitely isn't just because of the number, but does anyone else think he has the same sort of stature as Phaneuf? I swear he's got that same sort of body type, looks a lot like Phaneuf the way he skates.

Alexanderthe89

Apr 29, 2011
He was really solid in his debut. It's not a stretch to say he's an improvement over Polak and Carrick.

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I didn't see much of the game tonight.

Is Holl's play going to make Babcock's life difficult in terms of Roster decisions?

What did you think of his play tonight?

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
6'3, good PKer, can pass the puck. Skating is an issue but hasn't looked out of place yet.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Is Holl's play going to make Babcock's life difficult in terms of Roster decisions?

He played well. Though he likely is sent down at this point from a contract management Pov, unless they trade Polak or something.

Hes probably a guy who could be a #6/7 tweener. Reliable when you need a fill in. Though with an extended look he may prove to be good enough for a more permanent bottom pairing role.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017

Leafs have the same issues going on with the forwards, Babs will handle the D the same as the overflow with the forwards, I am guessing.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
6'3, good PKer, can pass the puck. Skating is an issue but hasn't looked out of place yet.

He's not a bad skater at all, Bob Mac actually called him an "elite skater" moving forward during the intermission, which I was surprised at.

The biggest difference between him and Polak, among other reasons (or at least the most obvious) is he reads plays faster, and his first few strides moving are quite good for a bigger d-man.

Reactions: heybuddyhowyadoing

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
He's not a bad skater at all, Bob Mac actually called him an "elite skater" moving forward during the intermission, which I was surprised at.

The biggest difference between him and Polak, among other reasons (or at least the most obvious) is he reads plays faster, and his first few strides moving are quite good for a bigger d-man.

If you compare him to both Carrick and Borgman going uphill - he's way faster and cleaner. Big mobile intelligent mature rookie. Nice option. So glad he got a look and produced spectacularly. This wasn't just an adequate 'survived the stint' thing - he came up scored in back to back shut-outs.

Reactions: firstemperor

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
IS he physical? bc I only watched the Islanders game and he is very solid in the Dzone, while his skating really impressed me.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
IS he physical? bc I only watched the Islanders game and he is very solid in the Dzone, while his skating really impressed me.

I thought he checked his man fairly physically tonight. I was watching that because of the report someone posted about him being soft as being part of why he's never gotten a chance.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Was wondering what he'd do for an encore? Set a couple of records, I guess. Doing well so far. RHD w/size should at least keep him in the plans for the time being.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
"Justin Holl became the first defenseman in Toronto Maple Leafs history and sixth in NHL history to score a goal in his first two games"

Instant inductee to the hall of fame

Reactions: BigBlu

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
The last D man to score in his first two NHL games only ended up played 7 in his entire career(TSN during the game)....just for some perspective. Great start, not quite pencilling him in yet.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I thought he checked his man fairly physically tonight. I was watching that because of the report someone posted about him being soft as being part of why he's never gotten a chance.

Thats what I read too. Glad he has a physical side to his big frame.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The last D man to score in his first two NHL games only ended up played 7 in his entire career(TSN during the game)....just for some perspective. Great start, not quite pencilling him in yet.
WEll he still has more goals than Duncan Keith this season, lol.

Prince N

Nov 18, 2014
Dude is a stud. Cross our fingers and hope he turns out to be something good

DavePoulin4PM

2x NHL all star, Selke winner, NHL exec
Nov 6, 2017
Dude is a stud. Cross our fingers and hope he turns out to be something good

A stud...lol. The scrub is a 26 year old ,2nd round pick playing his first NHL game now. He's a career AHLer, who will most likely be playing in Europe within the next 2 years.

It's been a cute couple of games for him, but his NHL "career" will be ending shortly.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

Babcock on Holl,

Quotes a little generic but does seem to suggest that if he keeps playing well he may have a chance with the big club.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00