Justin Bailey is the most underrated player on HFBoards

ohcomeonref

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 18, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Just because there isn't a steady stream of threads about him doesn't mean he's underrated. He's like Getzlaf, nobody is constantly talking about them but everyone is aware that they bounce in and out of the leagues top-5 for centers every year.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I hate HF the first month of every season. So many premature and reactionary threads. We're 12 games in. 70 to go. A lot can happen.

Generally i think we all know who the good players are and who the bad ones are. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't take Tavares. I don't care if you have him ranked as #3 #5 #10 or #15 best center in the league.

The best part is it's getting harder and harder to knock him for things.

Skating and defense We're once things brought in arguments but can't be brought up since he turns his weakness into strengths. I won't say where I believe he's ranked but I will say he's one of the smartest guys on the ice I have ever seen and he's determined.

Now if he goes scoreless in the next 7 games I'm blaming this thread.

I think the moral of the story is HF should probably stop coming to conclusions about an established player before the season is even a month old.

They're called "small sample sizes" for a reason. A 10-game stretch of no production doesn't mean someone sucks, just like a 10-game stretch of great production doesn't mean Wayne Gretzky should be nervous about his records.

HF's like the bipolar person yelling "I love you" and then "I hate you" every couple of minutes.

Reactions: SI90

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
I think the moral of the story is HF should probably stop coming to conclusions about an established player before the season is even a month old.

They're called "small sample sizes" for a reason. A 10-game stretch of no production doesn't mean someone sucks, just like a 10-game stretch of great production doesn't mean Wayne Gretzky should be nervous about his records.

HF's like the bipolar person yelling "I love you" and then "I hate you" every couple of minutes.

It's insane sometimes. Sample size is key though. We've seen guys get hot and then go cold and vice versa. It happens. Just like teams as well. Some teams started out on fire but may cool down or have a really tough stretch and miss the playoffs. Happens every year. The first month of the season the threads are amazing lol

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
It's insane sometimes. Sample size is key though. We've seen guys get hot and then go cold and vice versa. It happens. Just like teams as well. Some teams started out on fire but may cool down or have a really tough stretch and miss the playoffs. Happens every year. The first month of the season the threads are amazing lol

The first month of the season definitely makes for amusing reading. The funny thing is people just don't seem to learn. It's one thing to be excited about positive stuff (or worried about negative stuff), but it's another to draw conclusions on a player or team after the first dozen or so games.

Having said that, I can say without hesitation that Crosby sucks now. He'll never score again (does the reverse jinx thing work if a fan of the player says it?!).

Reactions: SI90

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Anyone who can traumatize the entire Isles fanbase for life with a clean hit to the point where every Isles fan has a daily PTSD flashback about him is pretty damn underrated :laugh:

Pretty sure "traumatizing" (lol) a fanbase has nothing to do with how good of a hockey player he is but please in another thread tell us about how some dumb shit who managed to get himself suspended twice in PRESEASON is full of clean hits. Tom Wilson has played over 300 games and scored 20 goals in his career and your gm spent a first round pick on him. He sucks at hockey and is considered a dirty shit head league wide except in the blinders of caps fans. Not gonna comment on JT here bc this is a typical reactionary thread, just pointing out that tom wilson is a bad, dirty hockey player. I hate him because he brings nothing to the NHL. If that makes you feel like he's useful jokes on you :laugh:

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
Parenteau had 43 pts in 48 games the following season. Why is he being used here.

Reactions: isles55

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
flavoroftheweek.png

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Moulson was good for two seasons without Tavares. Then he fell off a cliff.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Moulson was good for two seasons without Tavares. Then he fell off a cliff.

Thing about Moulson is he had one great skill. I don't understand why anybody would want Moulson unless they planned on using him first unit PP so he can stand infront of the net tipping pucks.

Signing or trading for him and not using him on the PP would be like me buying a tent and setting it up in my room

Reactions: Regal

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Pretty sure "traumatizing" (lol) a fanbase has nothing to do with how good of a hockey player he is but please in another thread tell us about how some dumb **** who managed to get himself suspended twice in PRESEASON is full of clean hits. Tom Wilson has played over 300 games and scored 20 goals in his career and your gm spent a first round pick on him. He sucks at hockey and is considered a dirty **** head league wide except in the blinders of caps fans. Not gonna comment on JT here bc this is a typical reactionary thread, just pointing out that tom wilson is a bad, dirty hockey player. I hate him because he brings nothing to the NHL. If that makes you feel like he's useful jokes on you :laugh:

Holy crap the amount of fetal position tears he gets out of Isles fans to this day for welcoming the Isles to the playoffs is legendary. I should have gone down to Long Island on Halloween night and worn a Tom Wilson jersey to get martial law declared :laugh:

You literally care more about him than we care about every Isles player in the history of hockey combined, if that's not effective I don't know what is. It's also pretty funny watching all of you act like you wouldn't want him when he's a much better Matt Martin/Cal Clutterbuck and you practically had shrines dedicated to them.

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
He is one of the most overrated IMO. Has done jack squat there. One of those good players always on a bad team. If he stays, he seals his fate. Good (not great player) that did jack his entire career

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
I'm sorry to say this but I disagree. I think he is a very likeable guy but the following and support he had when he "almost" won the Art Ross trophy was crazy. People getting pissed at Benn because Tavares didn't win it. If Tavares wins it eventually or at least finishes top 3, there will be "best player in the world" threads up the same night.

Reactions: Master P

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
He is one of the most overrated IMO. Has done jack squat there. One of those good players always on a bad team. If he stays, he seals his fate. Good (not great player) that did jack his entire career

He's one of the few players I've seen in recent times that single handedly won a playoff series for his team. He has 2 Hart nominations and is clearly one of the smartest and most skilled players in the world. It's not his fault he hasn't had a great team around him yet.

DaPhazz

Jun 30, 2016
he broke out last season with Lee and Tavares and he broke out today offensively with JT

Tavares is still a 1b center to Matthews tho and much worse than Backstrom apparently

Only things I can say is don't take leafs fan too seriously..

If it can conforts you, I think Tavares is currently better than Matthews

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Holy crap the amount of fetal position tears he gets out of Isles fans to this day for welcoming the Isles to the playoffs is legendary. I should have gone down to Long Island on Halloween night and worn a Tom Wilson jersey to get martial law declared :laugh:

You literally care more about him than we care about every Isles player in the history of hockey combined, if that's not effective I don't know what is. It's also pretty funny watching all of you act like you wouldn't want him when he's a much better Matt Martin/Cal Clutterbuck and you practically had shrines dedicated to them.

1. Isles fans dislike clutterbuck typically bc his contract is ridiculous. Clutter is a pest but he plays pretty clean

My dislike for tom Wilson has nothing to do with him hurting a dman who played like 1 season with the isles. I live in dc and go to a decent amount of caps games and nothing’s worse than hearing caps fans cheer when he does stupid shit. For example his first major penalty this preseason where he got suspended was the loudest the arena got all night. Any neutral fan coudve told you he was getting a couple of games immediately after. I’m sure I’d like him if he was on my team, but that doesn’t make him not a bad hockey player which was the point of my post

Zeeker

Feb 15, 2016

One of my greatest pet peeves in life is when sports fans actually feel superior to other sports fans because they don't "care" as much about the opposing team's players.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
1. Isles fans dislike clutterbuck typically bc his contract is ridiculous. Clutter is a pest but he plays pretty clean

My dislike for tom Wilson has nothing to do with him hurting a dman who played like 1 season with the isles. I live in dc and go to a decent amount of caps games and nothing’s worse than hearing caps fans cheer when he does stupid ****. For example his first major penalty this preseason where he got suspended was the loudest the arena got all night. Any neutral fan coudve told you he was getting a couple of games immediately after. I’m sure I’d like him if he was on my team, but that doesn’t make him not a bad hockey player which was the point of my post

If he did as much stupid shit as you claim this preseason wouldn't be the first time he ever got suspended, and let's be honest if a player without a physical pest reputation does that hit they probably don't get anything for it. He draws penalties, softens other teams up, PKs well. even provides good offense by the standards of the lines and linemates he gets to play with, and is a positive even despite never getting the benefit of the doubt from refs in any altercation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad