Movies: Justice League (2017)

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
I actually had very little issue with this movie. It wasn't a great film, but it certainly wasn't bad. Better than BvS and Suicide Squad, not that that's a high bar to pass over.

I think what threw me off about the film the most is that there's just enough wrong with each hero that you never really make the connection of "OK, that's X, no doubt."

Flash, for example. I feel like they tried to go the Young Spiderman route and make him the new inexperienced guy, but all they basically did was make the Flash that probably falls somewhere on the spectrum. The whole brunch thing? WTF?

Likewise, I feel like Affleck tried to turn Batman into RDJ's Stark/Iron Man. Batman isn't a wise-cracking superhero. His humor comes from his seriousness. His gung-ho approach to reviving Superman was also very unBatman-like.

Aside from Wonder Woman, I feel like Cyborg was the most true to form representation. I wasn't a fan of how he looked visually (too much machine, not enough human), but they did a good job of showing his incredible computing ability, as well as showing the struggle between man and machine.

Overall, I'd give it a 6.5/10. I wouldn't mind another JL film, especially if they added some of the other members.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
The team-up is too rushed, writing and directing is bad. The actors have little to work with, and the studio does not have the patience to create a unified movie universe like Marvel.

I can't believe they killed Supes in the first joint heroes movie...it should have been saved for when Darkseid comes.

It's going to be hard to recover now.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Introducing Wonder Woman, killing Superman, and having Batman fight Superman is 3 movies worth of storylines and Zach Snyder wasted them all I'm one crappy movie.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Introducing Wonder Woman, killing Superman, and having Batman fight Superman is 3 movies worth of storylines and Zach Snyder wasted them all I'm one crappy movie.

Well, they did the whole introduce Wonder Woman thing - with the little known movie called.. you guessed it Wonder Woman.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Saw it over the weekend, and I expected more.
Yes, the guy that defends DC movies legit all the time wasn't all that impressed, but it's not a disaster either.

Right off the bat, DC assumes everyone is an idiot and we need a good long backstory on everything, we really don't. We've all been alive for more than 2-3 years and remember who everyone is. I actually thought they got over this in the first couple minutes when Batman is on the screen within 45 seconds - but then we have to go another 20 minutes into the next action which is the Amazons (without Wonder Woman) in a battle, then you count it... another hour before anyone gets into anything.

Affleck sucks as Batman, he's mailed it in. Flash became too much of that Spiderman/Michael Cera idea, Cyborg too moody and Aquaman too stupid.

Steppenwolf as a villain becomes as shitty of a threat as Marvel villains do - 2 minute backstory but no reason why they are who they are NOW.

I didn't like the aesthetic of the red and black in the fights, it was distracting. And absolutely HATED the moment Superman returns which should have been awesome and Affleck/Batman did that gasp amazed thing.

Then the kick ass shit begins:
You got Wonder Woman being Wonder Woman, Batman saving her, Flash coming into his own, Aquaman seemed like he could have been badass, Cyborg at the centre of it all - and Superman shows up to show he's unstoppable. They needed that Hulk smashing Loki on the ground moment and Superman finally did it, but not enough.

It was an OK movie. Superman became what everyone here wanted, like I said he would over the course of the films. Batman sucked.

Now reboot. Keep Gadot as Wonder Woman, Cavill as Superman and reboot.

Unholy

kesbae
Jan 13, 2010
Southern California
Went in with the lowest of expectations and ended up enjoying it. Had it's issues for sure and they messed up overall in this universe but I actually liked a lot of what I watched with this one.

Burnoutboi

Jul 3, 2006
Grande Prairie, Alberta
This movie has its flaws, and plenty of them, but it wasn’t a train wreck like I was expecting. I enjoyed it for the most part. For all the negative parts about it there was still some great moments happening. DC still may not quite have their formula down yet, but this seemed like a step in a better direction.

I can see why some people won’t enjoy this, but it wasn’t the disaster critics are making it out to be. Hell, I might even go see it again.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It wasn't fantastic, but then again none of the comic book adaptations ever are perfect or amazing, but this was entertaining, it had its warts, but if thats all you focus on then yeah it's not going to be for you and we can nit pick literally every comic book movie ever made, but if you go with an open mind to enjoy the movie, you will enjoy it.

I feel like so many people go in wanting to not like it or to hate it and find a reason to and hitch their wagon to it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Saw it over the weekend, and I expected more.
Yes, the guy that defends DC movies legit all the time wasn't all that impressed, but it's not a disaster either.

Right off the bat, DC assumes everyone is an idiot and we need a good long backstory on everything, we really don't. We've all been alive for more than 2-3 years and remember who everyone is. I actually thought they got over this in the first couple minutes when Batman is on the screen within 45 seconds - but then we have to go another 20 minutes into the next action which is the Amazons (without Wonder Woman) in a battle, then you count it... another hour before anyone gets into anything.

Affleck sucks as Batman, he's mailed it in. Flash became too much of that Spiderman/Michael Cera idea, Cyborg too moody and Aquaman too stupid.

Steppenwolf as a villain becomes as ****ty of a threat as Marvel villains do - 2 minute backstory but no reason why they are who they are NOW.

I didn't like the aesthetic of the red and black in the fights, it was distracting. And absolutely HATED the moment Superman returns which should have been awesome and Affleck/Batman did that gasp amazed thing.

Then the kick ass **** begins:
You got Wonder Woman being Wonder Woman, Batman saving her, Flash coming into his own, Aquaman seemed like he could have been badass, Cyborg at the centre of it all - and Superman shows up to show he's unstoppable. They needed that Hulk smashing Loki on the ground moment and Superman finally did it, but not enough.

It was an OK movie. Superman became what everyone here wanted, like I said he would over the course of the films. Batman sucked.

Now reboot. Keep Gadot as Wonder Woman, Cavill as Superman and reboot.

Wow dude, take a step back from your computer and take a deep breath.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Well, they did the whole introduce Wonder Woman thing - with the little known movie called.. you guessed it Wonder Woman.

I coulda sworn Wonder Woman was introduced to audiences during Batman v Superman but I must admit I am not the biggest DC fan so maybe that lady with the sword and shield was someone else I haven't heard of.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you're going to condescend maybe you should get your facts right. Wonder Woman got introduced in BvS a few years before the standalone Wonder Woman came out. An origin story film isn't always an introduction.
I coulda sworn Wonder Woman was introduced to audiences during Batman v Superman but I must admit I am not the biggest DC fan so maybe that lady with the sword and shield was someone else I haven't heard of.

Not sure if this is satirical but yes. WW made her first appearance in the DCU in BvS

Last edited:

Evincar

I have found the way
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks to BvS and Suicide Squad I went into this movie with low expectations, but I liked it. Im disappointed that it wasnt better but it was still enjoyable.

Loved Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash and Cyborg. I was plenty surprised by Cyborg even though Im not a fan of his character (I would have preferred Green Lantern or Martian Manhunter in his spot) Im still a little skeptical if he can pull off his own movie.

I think Aquaman was the weakest link. I think Momoa is a great choice for Aquaman but he was the most underdeveloped of the 3 new heroes. It definitely would have helped if he had his solo movie come out before this.

Steppenwolf was basically your average superhero movie villain. Has some cool lines and good action scenes but was pretty forgettable otherwise.

Like I suspected the run time was a problem. It definitely could have used an extra 30 minutes. Interesting to see what the extended edition will look like.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I'm not trying to troll, but I still haven't recovered from my Batman v. Superman disappointment. Even being pleasantly surprised with Wonder Woman isn't enough for my interest to be revived, so it effectively was up for the word of mouth for me to go see Justice League. So far, the reviews and word of mouth have mostly been.... "eh, it was okay." Not enough for me to burn a few hours on a film in the franchise at this point.

I'll give the benefit of the doubt to Wonder Woman 2, but not really for any other DC property at this point.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Just got back from it. I, like others went into it with pretty low expectations. Especially as I'm usually someone who very much am in agreement with what the critics have to say. The movies that are generally huge successes in the eyes of critics are usually ones I quite enjoy as well.

But I think they got it wrong with this one. It's not a perfect movie by any means. The "getting the gang together" stuff was rushed and the writing was never ever all that strong in the film. But I thought the CGI was pretty good, the fight scenes were good, they did a good job at showcasing the strengths of each of the Heroes, and I at least thought the logic behind bringing.

It could have stood to be about 30 minutes longer IMO. The big fight at the end could have been longer.

But all in all, it was a decent if not pretty good movie. Well worth the watch and I came out happily surprised. A shame it's doing so poorly in the media and stuff because I think this along with Wonder Woman earlier in the year were both steps in the right direction after a disastrous couple attempts before hand.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
If you're going to condescend maybe you should get your facts right. Wonder Woman got introduced in BvS a few years before the standalone Wonder Woman came out. An origin story film isn't always an introduction.

Well I guess if you're going to be condescending the time between BvS and Wonder Woman wasn't a few years but rather much shorter - and the point remains that there was no introduction needed, which was my point.
I don't know how much of an origin she needs when in two freaking movies before this one, including an entire 2 hour movie about you know... Wonder Woman.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The hate is funny.

For the rotten tomatoe drones...

It went from 33% to 37% to 41% with 89% of the audience liking it. I feel like if people just didn't bash this movie and actually saw it, they'd be less dicks about it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
The hate is funny.

For the rotten tomatoe drones...

It went from 33% to 37% to 41% with 89% of the audience liking it. I feel like if people just didn't bash this movie and actually saw it, they'd be less dicks about it.

The audience score isn't reliable because it doesn't detract the votes from "Want to see it". Nitpick: audience score is actually 84%.

NameInUse

Sep 27, 2017
Aside from the fact that the movie appeared to have been shot by a dwarf with a close-up fetish, I found it pretty entertaining.

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
I saw the movie last Saturday and thought it was pretty good. I’ve never watched an entire marvel movie so I can’t compare

They need to move forward with the Flashpoint movie so they can reset Batman. I love Affleck as him, but it’s clear he doesn’t want to do it

Only thing I am semi disappointed in was no Green Lantern. With all the rumors I thought for sure he would show up

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Saw it last night and it has some good and some bad. Parts seem totally rushed but I guess that's what happens when your forth movie in a "franchise" introduces half you characters. My biggest peeve was the treatment of the Flash. The made Barry Allen look like a bumbling buffoon, as I read something they seem to be trying to copy Spider Man in the MCU with Flash being this young new guy, and they really took it too far. He was constantly tripping over his own feet, literally, and didn't come across as the intelligent guy he is supposed to be.

They did an amazing job with Wonder Woman again, both Gadot playing here and the writing. While not the traditional Aquaman, Momoa's version which I believe is closer to the more recent version, was pretty badass. I like also what they came up with to allow the Atlanteans to speak under water. Kind of meh with Cyborg.

Affleck did ok as Batman again, like in BvS, though as some have mentioned the comedic one-liners are usually not a Batman thing. Cavill was good again as a Superman not amazing but not bad.

Overall I was hoping again for more, seems to be a reoccurring theme with these DC movies outside Wonder Woman. Also the end of credit scene just came out of nowhere.

dogbazinho

May 24, 2006
Fairfax, VA
I thought it was OK, not great, but not as bad as people were making it out to be. One small thing that super annoys me about movies is when a character explains some plot device, like Wonder Woman explaining the lasso compels you to tell the truth.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Likewise, I feel like Affleck tried to turn Batman into RDJ's Stark/Iron Man. Batman isn't a wise-cracking superhero. His humor comes from his seriousness. His gung-ho approach to reviving Superman was also very unBatman-like.
tenor.gif

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
I want to like this movie but something about it.

1. I find Batman kinda dull and stupid. He’s suppose to be intelligent detective like but instead we get modern stupidity. I think the Nolan Batman was true to the comic.

2. Superman didn’t look like human. I know the CGI moustache was there but he looks like Paul Walker in Furious 7.

3. Barry Allen is also dull and stupid. He’s suppose to be some sort of genius but aside from his speed nothing much. A genius doesn’t know what’s left or right is, doesn’t know where east or west. His jokes sound like a little high school girl.

4. Acquaman’s character is terrible. I don’t really care for the character in this movie. Just ok

Everything felt rushed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad