Just hold on a minute....

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Yup... going back to the actions speak louder than words theory....

The Leafs grand total of actions were basically as follows:

Ship out every impending UFA that held any sort of value, and get rid of the 1 guy who is clearly a salary cap detriment.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
Say we get Strome in this upcoming draft, I think Nylander + Rielly + Strome pretty much gives us the equivalent of Huburdeau + Gudbranson + Barkov.

I think we need to move out our veteran core, but I dont think we're at year 1 of a rebuild, I think we're roughly at year 3, because by July we should have three very high potential young guys in the system.

The main problem is that we lack a bonafide stud. No Stamkos, Tavares, Doughty, Ekblad, MacKinnon, etc calibre prospects. So i think we can avoid the stereotypical "5 year rebuild", because I think people are downplaying what we already have in place (especially when factoring in trade returns). But we are still missing that stud stud type of prospect.

Completely agree.

We've got some very nice pieces already in the system that we could be a top team in just a few seasons.

Add in a top pick this draft, then likely add in another the following draft to go along with Reilly + Nylander and things start looking really good. This is without factoring trades and other draft picks that can help out.

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
The entire hockey world is into this "rebuild" thing.

The boards are blowing up in about 20 different sites. Trade this guy for that, trade that guy for this.

The media with the "scorched earth" thing.

Do you know who hasn't said anything about a total rebuild? The Leafs management.

Not Nonis, not Dubas, not Hunter, not Shanahan, not that other guy.....no one.

So Nonis trades some UFA's and you all think its in full swing rebuild?

The Leafs got some good pieces for some UFA's we had. We have 2 or 3 more that he can move also.

Because we are sellers for a change at the deadline don't mean squat.

The deadline is 2 days away, and guess what? This entire core that we had is still in place. Not one top 6 player has been moved and even Lupul said it has not been passed down from the top that any pieces were going to be dealt.

Is Nonis fielding any calls from other teams? Sure he is, but guess what....so are about 29 other teams.

Btw, Nonis is no genius. Every GM out there could have made the moves Nonis did to get some pieces. But the Clarkson deal fell right into Nonis's lap and all he had to do was utter the word "Yes" to complete that deal. He is just not smart enough to think of a deal like that. He's not.

All that said, can anyone show me a spec of evidence that the Leafs said something somewhere that there in a full rebuild and not just selling some pieces that are going to be UFA anyway?

If the main core of this team is still here Tuesday, then the place will explode. The only hockey trade that may happen is Bozak IMO.

Then the lottery will come and pass and we will be at draft time. Do you know how many deals Nonis has made on draft day.....? Zero. He has never been a draft day GM. Burke was, but not Nonis.

I think Nonis will get fleeced by some of these other GM's in the league on draft day.

We will start next season with basically the same core, and there is not a darn thing anyone here can do about it. We have been down this dirt road for the last 20 years. Nothing has changed and nothing will change.

Bernier (1), Holland (1), Polak (1) all were traded at or around the draft.

According to my math skills 1 + 1 + 1 equals 3 and not ZERO!!!!!!

Dallas Eakins*

Completely agree.

We've got some very nice pieces already in the system that we could be a top team in just a few seasons.

Add in a top pick this draft, then likely add in another the following draft to go along with Reilly + Nylander and things start looking really good. This is without factoring trades and other draft picks that can help out.

:scared: It's going to take a lot of amazing drafting going forward.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
this core ain't going anywhere, not with these bloated long term deals.

the cap won't be set by the draft, so little will happen then

then we will get that period where we will have to see how the UFAs settle out and that dust settles.

and on top of that there are going to be some very very motivated sellers because they HAVE to be, just to be cap compliant

, 2 major banks have already forecast the CAD to drop into the low 70s at some point putting more downward pressure on the cap = more fear.

all = ing, this core ain't going nowhere.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Im pretty sure Shanahan said they are looking to start over this time. Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul won't be here next year and if they still are we will have the same result as last season.

There have already been teams interested in both Phaneuf and Kessel.

Leafspoison*

Bernier (1), Holland (1), Polak (1) all were traded at or around the draft.

According to my math skills 1 + 1 + 1 equals 3 and not ZERO!!!!!!

Live in the now.

Don't buy into what the media is selling you.

People upset because I told it like it was.

What will people do when the next training camp comes and we have the same core?

No one seems to get it. Well a few people do.

MLSE does not need to win. This team belongs to Nonis, not Shanahan. Shanny was and still remains a smoke screen.

People saying Nonis said this or that at the presser. Is this the same guy that almost everyone wants gone, now they are listening to him? Its a big joke from weak minded people that only have bad things to say here.

Here is what is going to happen. We will take our picks at the draft, play them way to early. Ruin them, Go into next season with the same core. Nonis will bring in a few bottom 6 guys, because that is all he knows how to do. Then sell everyone that the team is a playoff team going into December when we always have a good record. Fans will love Nonis again. Team will tank, Nonis will do nothing next deadline except move out the impending UFA's like he has done several times. Keep his job until his contract is up.

Why on earth do people believe in this garbage team? Why do they have hope where there clearly is none to have?

Nonis just recently signed a contract extension.

He signed Phaneuf to a long term deal.
He signed Kessel to a long term deal.

Nonis JUST signed these guys and now the fans think he is going to trade them? wholly sweet mother mary of jesus.

The core has to remain intact until Nonis is gone. Nonis just was signed to an extension.

You think Nonis wants to lose his job? If he traded Phaneuf or Kessel, he would be admitting that he messed up. Nonis wants to keep his job.

No where is it written that Shanahan (aka smoke screen shinny) or any member of the board or MLSE is unhappy with Nonis. As a matter of fact, and I am not sure I mentioned this or not, but they extended Nonis.

Trust me guys, I want this tool gone too, but it is not written.

Arguing with some of you is like saying the red car is the red car and you are saying it is a black truck, when in fact, its just a blue car.

Many of you need to step back and breath. There are a few of us who tried to tell you this, but most wouldn't believe it.

Now we hear the excuses that a better deal will be had in the off season. Minions, look, just telling you the truth. This core will be our core for several years.

The media pumped you up, and you bought it.

mikeyz

Dec 3, 2013
Why do you post like this.

It's really annoying.

You talk like a conspiracy nut.

You should rethink how serious you are taking this whole thing.

He may be acting a tad bit over the top, but there is some truth to what he's saying whether you want to believe it or not.

Leafspoison*

He may be acting a tad bit over the top, but there is some truth to what he's saying whether you want to believe it or not.

Always been over the top for the dramatic flair. My mother once told me that when I was in a school play called the "Blue sky people", that I started to recite Shakepeare.....and I was just supposed to be a tree. :laugh::laugh:

But thank, I know I go a bit bold, but it is true.

Nonis moved some UFAs for more he can sign in the offseason. Then will tell people.....again...."this is what we are going into the season with". Then he will be praised when we have an awesome record in December getting ready for the next collapse.

This has been done for the last 15 years. Rinse and repeat.

but people still drink the koolaid.

...and thanks.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto

There's truth in his lecturing about the future? Are you two among the gifted fortune tellers on this forum? Listen, I get the doubt. There have been enough years of BS to jade people from having any hope that the right kind of change is upon us. That's fine, but when you mix in fair commentary with nonsense, then people are more likely to focus on the nonsense.

I don't know how many people are proclaiming that this core is going to be gone completely by this off season (I think it's more reasonable to think that it might be more gradual than that), but until the future happens, you can't claim truth unless you want to sound cocky and bloody crazy.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
The problem is no actual discussion is going on in this thread. It's pretty much trolling because no matter what anyone argues OP is deadset that MLSE will screw it up. If Nonis had been fired, or Phaneuf moved, these type of "fans" just pick up and move the goalposts (oh, MLSE has to go!). Being a blind critic means never having to stop whining.

In reality land, anything can happen over the next few months. The team can continue to flounder or it could improve. Some of the flawed core could even have better seasons, if they remain.
But if you are convinced 100% that the draft will be screwed up and specific players will be here, then what can you say to that? It's probably thrown out there a lot on boards, but it doesn't sound like you can call yourself a fan.

Leafspoison*

Im pretty sure Shanahan said they are looking to start over this time. Kessel, Phaneuf, Bozak and Lupul won't be here next year and if they still are we will have the same result as last season.

There have already been teams interested in both Phaneuf and Kessel.[/QUOTE]

Yea, who?

What teams did Nonis say were interested in Kessel and Phaneuf? None, thats who.

He didn't shop them. That was media telling you they were shopping them.

Like the poster up a few, there is going to be so many teams selling because of cap issues, our big ascot contracts are not that appealing.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
The problem is no actual discussion is going on in this thread. It's pretty much trolling because no matter what anyone argues OP is deadset that MLSE will screw it up. If Nonis had been fired, or Phaneuf moved, these type of "fans" just pick up and move the goalposts (oh, MLSE has to go!). Being a blind critic means never having to stop whining.

In reality land, anything can happen over the next few months. The team can continue to flounder or it could improve. Some of the flawed core could even have better seasons, if they remain.
But if you are convinced 100% that the draft will be screwed up and specific players will be here, then what can you say to that? It's probably thrown out there a lot on boards, but it doesn't sound like you can call yourself a fan.

Is there any other teams fanbase, that has such a group of non-fans, like we have?

Leafspoison*

It was hard to figure out what part of your post I should bold to talk about. So I left it. Consider it all bolded. And let me add....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am glad you are happy with our record and with MLSE.

How many cups have we won since '67?

Ok, I am wrong. Lets just go with how many we have won since MLSE has owned the leafs?

Ooopsie. :sarcasm:

You are one of the people who buy this rich corporations crap they spew year after year?

Some of you guys amuse me. :nod:

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
Didn't Nonis say today, "The notion that no one wants these players is fabrication by the media, the fact that I had tons of GMs calling me about each player shows this myth is only in print, on tv and on the radio, not among GMs."

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Didn't Nonis say today, "The notion that no one wants these players is fabrication by the media, the fact that I had tons of GMs calling me about each player shows this myth is only in print, on tv and on the radio, not among GMs."

wut

lots of gms calling other gms on TD day

what a novel concept, indeed.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Is there any other teams fanbase, that has such a group of non-fans, like we have?

oh wait

a brand new account and already attacking using the

whining word attack?

that narrows the list to a few folks on this board.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
wut

lots of gms calling other gms on TD day

what a novel concept, indeed.

Hey, don't shoot the messenger. That's what he said. You can take it as you wish, probably only two options to look at.

1. "Other teams actually want Phaneuf and Kessel, its the media making this up, cause you know the media can hear my conversations on the phone and all."

or

2. "To be honest I ate KFC all day and the core will remain the same."

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
People who think we're going to be SC contenders in a few years are delusional.

As I said before today (trade deadline) that Leafs fans hoping to get something good in return for the Dion, Phil, Tyler or Lupul will be disappointed and sadly we won't get what so many wish at the draft or in the summer for these guys.

Look at our prospect ratings. HF rates us at #19.

Look at teams like the Islanders, Buffalo, Detroit, Columbus, Stars, Tampa etc we don't have any where near the prospects they have.

Pittsburgh has 2 of the best players in the world and without surrounding them with decent role players, the Pens IMO are NOT SC contenders.

Sadly I think many Leafs fans will consider us contenders if we're lucky enough to win the lottery and get Connor. (I hope we do) That he alone will vault us into a super team. Isn't going to happen.

Even with Connor, Leafs will need at least 5 years of finishing bad enough to get top picks, being patient with them and then surround them with decent supporting players.

Kind of like the Islanders have done and in a couple of years, the Sabres.

You can fast track a rebuild but it also takes some luck with free agents.

Getting Connor and in a couple of years Stamkos certainly would help...one can only hope, we Leafs fans really do deserve a break.

Leaf of the Mind

BABS WAS BOB
Feb 6, 2015
It was hard to figure out what part of your post I should bold to talk about. So I left it. Consider it all bolded. And let me add....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I am glad you are happy with our record and with MLSE.

How many cups have we won since '67?

Ok, I am wrong. Lets just go with how many we have won since MLSE has owned the leafs?

Ooopsie. :sarcasm:

You are one of the people who buy this rich corporations crap they spew year after year?

Some of you guys amuse me. :nod:

See that's the problem, you are inventing things out of thin air.
I never said I was happy with MLSE. The team sucks. Where did I say it was wonderful ownership? I'm all for stripping this thing down and rebuilding. It's foolish to say they'll end up like the Oilers, like it's foolish to say they will suddenly contend or be quickly retooled and contend.

It's just too early. I guess you'll interpret that as my undying love for the current regime, but I guess if you can only see black or white the rest doesn't compute.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad