Just heard on the radio Bylsma is expected to be our next assistant

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like it. He's proven to be a good, solid NHL coach. Outside of ditching everyone and throwing $6m at Trotz, this is probably the best move we could make behind the bench.

97.1 saying that Bylsma is expected to be our next assistant per Bob McKenzie. Thoughts on this? He had problems with the kids in Buffalo can we expect the same?

Buffalo was also better under him with, arguably, a worse group of talent. Maybe the problem isn't the coach but these kids who don't want to play. Should be a lot of fun with him and AA at any rate.

Reactions: SoupNazi

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Great, more give the useless vets a pass, and come down hard on the kids for everything under the sun. :facepalm:

It’s about expectations and known vs unkown quantities.

We know what helm Nielsen and Abdelkader are. We know what they are capable of. We know their approach. While these guys are imperfect players who make mistakes they are also fairly consistent in what they bring. Treating them differently isn’t going to change what they are or what we get out of them.

With Mantha, AA, Bert and to a lesser extent Larkin we are talking about developing players who are on the upswing. The team believes they can be great and with that belief comes expectations of consistent and steady improvements. AA gets limited ice time because the coaching staff are trying to develop habits that will last a career allowing the kid to achieve and give more.

Look, I’m not saying the usage and deployment of these kids is perfect. I’m not even saying the coaching staff is beyond reproach, But the simple truth is their usage isn’t about hating kids or preferring realgud grit/60 over talent; it’s about believing these kids can be better and pushing them to do so and holding them accountable if they don’t.

Perhaps the organization can find a better balance but they definitely arent dicking these kids around just for the sake of it. They are trying to develop players that have more than just talent because that’s what it takes to succeed at a championship level.

Last edited:

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Is Craig Adams going to come out of retirement to play on the 4th line?

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Buffalo was also better under him with, arguably, a worse group of talent. Maybe the problem isn't the coach but these kids who don't want to play. Should be a lot of fun with him and AA at any rate.

ROR, Eichel and Risto certainly aren't worse than the players here. Okposo, Kane and Reinhart aren't bad, either.

And while they were better after hiring him, they'd also just come off a very deliberate tank season, and then spent the season after he left with nearly the entire roster out for at least 1/4 of the season.

I don't really feel strongly about this hiring, but I don't find Bylsma's recent resume all that exciting.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
The most frequent knock on Blashill is how he handles kids vs veterans. Considering that Bylsma has the same reputation, I don't think it's a shock that some fans would be less than thrilled about his arrival.

I want a coaching staff that's the NHL equivalent of what Gardenhire is doing with the Tigers: keeping everybody involved and engaged, while still getting the most out of the youth. Not another year or two of letting the vets coast when they feel like it, while harping on the kids to try harder.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
ROR, Eichel and Risto certainly aren't worse than the players here. Okposo, Kane and Reinhart aren't bad, either.

And while they were better after hiring him, they'd also just come off a very deliberate tank season, and then spent the season after he left with nearly the entire roster out for at least 1/4 of the season.

I don't really feel strongly about this hiring, but I don't find Bylsma's recent resume all that exciting.

Buffalo has also been worse since letting him go, which is what I butchered at getting at. I don't think the guy is a great coach by any extent, but he's better than the other guys we've been hauling in for assistants, and pretty arguably better than the guy his under here.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
On one hand, he is just the assistant.

On the other, I don't particularly want the type of culture Blashill has developed to further ingrain itself into the roster.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
He's fine as an assistant. It's when he installs his system, where every player has to dump and chase, that things go awry.

One of two things will happen with Bylsma becoming an assistant, he'll either be the successor for Blashill (which seems likely, Holland can point to Bylsma's Stanley Cup win) or he'll leave fairly shortly after improving the Wings in some fashion to get another head coaching gig elsewhere. Either way, I don't see him being an assistant for long.

Reactions: jkutswings and BHD

BogsDiamond

Anybody get 2 U yet?
Mar 16, 2008
The most frequent knock on Blashill is how he handles kids vs veterans. Considering that Bylsma has the same reputation, I don't think it's a shock that some fans would be less than thrilled about his arrival.

I want a coaching staff that's the NHL equivalent of what Gardenhire is doing with the Tigers: keeping everybody involved and engaged, while still getting the most out of the youth. Not another year or two of letting the vets coast when they feel like it, while harping on the kids to try harder.

I like the cut of your jib.
We need a guy who will let the kids skate, make mistakes and learn on the job. This group is at least 12 parsecs from winning the Cup.
Unless we hire Han Solo as a coach, we're not going to be champs anytime soon. Might as well let the kids play and have fun.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018

We need a guy who will let the kids skate, make mistakes and learn on the job. This group is at least 12 parsecs from winning the Cup.
Unless we hire Han Solo as a coach, we're not going to be champs anytime soon. Might as well let the kids play and have fun.

Let's not get carried away comparing this to baseball. The "learn on the job" in baseball is learning to A) how to hit Major League pitching or B) how to get Major League hitters out. It's very much an individual effort to learn on the job in baseball. Hockey is a bit different because of the speed of the game, the structure of the game plan, the responsibility that you have take care of on the fly. If you let AA go out and severely screw up in the defensive zone, or continue to float around giving 50% effort, and let him learn from his own mistakes, then he isn't going to ever change his game.

I have no problem with Blashill riding the kids hard; that's the way they are going to learn to play every aspect of the game. If you're doing the wrong things because of a lack of accountability, you need to be made aware and have a corrective action taken. When high school athletes mentally screw up in practices or games, they are punished with wind sprints because it will drive home the point of the importance of getting things done correctly. You don't want to run? Don't have mental lapses. I think the mistakes we see from veterans ends up being because of lack of talent, not lack of effort and accountability, but the issues with Mantha early on and AA to this point have been effort and awareness based.

I will say, the part that I have had a big issue with for a while is...you have to allow them to make and correct the mistakes in the first place. Playing Frk or AA on the 4th line isn't allowing them to go out and play the game, to make the mistakes that can be used as coaching moments. Let them make the mistakes, take the chance to coach them up and drive your point home, and let them try to correct it. I think we have seen a culture that is too aggressive on the driving the point home and too stubborn on giving the second chances to correct it. We don't need AA playing on the 4th line for 8 minutes because he didn't pick up the back door trailer on an odd-man rush in the first period...we need him to be aware of the mistake and let him sink or swim going forward.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009

"Play the kids and have fun" has never been a good strategy for any sports team ever. These kids have to be pushed and learn how to play in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad