Just a thought...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Id be behind a rule change that allowed for teams to get a chance for their full pp if they get one with under 2 min of the 3rd remainkng.

Or maybe give them the ability for a penalty shot instead of accepting the pp (especially if they get ine with a minite or less time remaining)

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
A minor adjustment that I've always thought would approve game flow is to make icing only if the player is behind his own blue line. If you're in the neutral zone it's not icing.
A lot of beer leagues play that way. I've played a lot under both rules, and I agree with the blueline version. Probably should have gotten rid of it at the same time as the two-line offside.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Penalty at 18:30 so now the period goes another 30 seconds, then there is another penalty at 19:00 minutes so now the period goes another 60 seconds, then when we are into the extended period there is another penalty 30 seconds into the extended period so now it must continue again otherwise we're in the exact same scenario and on and on and on and on and on and on and on etc. etc. etc.

btw - what's wrong with 20 minute periods for whatever reason? We have the best sport in the world and so many people want to tinker and tinker and adjust and change. What's wrong with the way it is?

btw2 - I am an outside the box thinker, at the same time why change something that isn't a problem? I like to examine things and do not believe in the mind process of saying we should do things the same because "that's the way it's always been done". In the same breathe I don't think it usually makes sense to change things for the sake of making a change.
I can see the idea that, if the team leading takes a penalty in the last two minutes, play extends until that penalty ends. Obviously it would only apply in a one-goal game, and would also end if the leading team scores another.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
No complaints with the trapezoid...but the netting idea would quickly backfire. It would not be long until the preferred method of dumping the puck in would be high up into the netting to allow the fore-checker time to get there and put the defender at a disadvantage.

Easy fix, puck only stays in play if it hits the netting from inside the offensive zone.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
As I said what bugs me is anything that affects the flow of the game...The hand pass rule bugs me...To me as long as it goes from hand to stick and not off a players body into the net I'm fine with it....at the very least least allow any hand pass that originates in the defensive zone (as they do now) and extend it to anything starting in the neutral zone...and no grabbing and throwing the puck...has to be clearly "batted"...I just think it would add a little to the flow of the game and add a little more offense...

Could also help reduce injuries and high stick calls as players would use their hands more to knock the puck down. Or it would cause more injuries as players (Marchand) would take wide swings and clock opposing players and claim they were just going for the puck.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
Add a specific group of off ice officials, just for diving.

View attachment 343835
I think they should have off ice officials (linesmen) for offside calls. have 2 on each side of each blueline, the 2 on the ice and the 2 at the blueline will talk for a second and if any of them think it was offside, thats when it gets reviewed. If none of them think it was offside, then it wasn't offside. It's human error, and it should be in the game.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
I want powerplays intersected by the end of a period to extend the period to accommodate its full time. If it goes 45 seconds of extra time for that period, 45 seconds is removed from the following period.

Nothing burns me more then just getting a PP setup then the horn goes. The start of the next period you just get setup and then the PP ends.
That’s actually a great idea. But I would still keep each period at 20mins. Kind of like soccer with the injury time add on after each half.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I guess my main beefs are 1) Too many stoppages...improve the flow of the game ...2) Give these guys more room to operate in to use the speed that they have rather than 'somewhat' neutering it as is the case now in my opinion... 3) reduce the goalie equipment size and/or increase the net size proportionally to the original intent of the game... I think anything toward those end goals will improve the action, excitement and goal scoring...Will any of them be implemented?...highly doubtful but hey we're quarantined... 'spitballing' isn't the worst way to pass some of the time...Enjoying the comments from 'left field' to imaginative to sarcastic to funny..keep em comin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad