Just a thought...

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I agree- the nets should be much bigger, and to compensate, make the ice surface and the puck bigger too.

Since that would make the ice so much harder and more expensive to maintain, how about get rid of the ice? Then they would have to lose the skates, round off the puck so it rolls better, and maybe get rid of the sticks.

Without sticks and with a big, soft, round puck, maybe air-filled, teams could save a fortune by not needing all the protective equipment.

But I think we still have to restrict hand passes, unless, of course, you are Diego Maradona.
Sarcasm always appreciated...:sarcasm:

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I posted this thread hoping to get feedback on what people thought of sports today and whether they liked them as they are or felt there could be improvements to them. I just think that today's well conditioned, skilled athletes should be creating more excitement than what the rules and/or sizes of playing surfaces allow especially in the NHL and the NFL. Just my opinion of course. It would seem many of you like everything the way it is just fine and that's all good... Just thought I'd mention it before this thread disappears off the first page...Thanks for the responses even the sarcastic ones...:sarcasm:...Stay safe ya'll...

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I posted this thread hoping to get feedback on what people thought of sports today and whether they liked them as they are or felt there could be improvements to them. I just think that today's well conditioned, skilled athletes should be creating more excitement than what the rules and/or sizes of playing surfaces allow especially in the NHL and the NFL. Just my opinion of course. It would seem many of you like everything the way it is just fine and that's all good... Just thought I'd mention it before this thread disappears off the first page...Thanks for the responses even the sarcastic ones...:sarcasm:...Stay safe ya'll...
I think both the NHL and the NFL would benefit from a larger playing surface.

Olympic sized rinks give the skilled players a big advantage over the journeymen.

The CFL game is much superior to the NFL version, largely because the field (including endzones) is almost twice as big. The downside is that a more open game is less predictable, and therefore harder to handicap, so the bookies would be against it.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think both the NHL and the NFL would benefit from a larger playing surface.

Olympic sized rinks give the skilled players a big advantage over the journeymen.

The CFL game is much superior to the NFL version, largely because the field (including endzones) is almost twice as big. The downside is that a more open game is less predictable, and therefore harder to handicap, so the bookies would be against it.
You have it backwards.
Smaller surfaces is more of an advantage for the fast skilled players.
The slow players like the bigger ice/field as they can push everything to the outside. You have to process the game at a faster speed on smaller surfaces. This is what seperates the elite from the journeymen or NFL players to CFL players.

CFL being 'superior' is like saying the ECHL is superior to the NHL.
It may be your preference but that doesn't make it a better product.

Reactions: Nineteen67

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You have it backwards.
Smaller surfaces is more of an advantage for the fast skilled players.
The slow players like the bigger ice/field as they can push everything to the outside
. You have to process the game at a faster speed on smaller surfaces[/B]. This is what seperates the elite from the journeymen or NFL players to CFL players.

CFL being 'superior' is like saying the ECHL is superior to the NHL.
It may be your preference but that doesn't make it a better product.

I think youd be in the minority with this pov

The more common criticism thrown at lots of skilled Europeans is that thry cant do what theyre used to doing on nhl rinks

For exampme Nylanders world cup performances were diminished by a lot of folks here sayong he wouldnt be able to play that way on thr smaller NHL rinks during the playoffs

Reactions: weems

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think youd be in the minority with this pov

The more common criticism thrown at lots of skilled Europeans is that thry cant do what theyre used to doing on nhl rinks

For exampme Nylanders world cup performances were diminished by a lot of folks here sayong he wouldnt be able to play that way on thr smaller NHL rinks during the playoffs
Good skilled players can play anywhere. More room is better for the slower player since they have more time to react.
Keeping players further from the net makes it easier to defend.
Olympic/European games are so much slower than the NHL, similarly CFL games are a turtles pace compared to the NFL.

Reactions: Nineteen67
Sep 18, 2009
In the future hockey will be played as virtual reality
Once the CTE lawsuits take the NHL down

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Good skilled players can play anywhere. More room is better for the slower player since they have more time to react.
Olympic/European games are so much slower than the NHL, similarly CFL games are a turtles pace compared to the NFL.

Luke Schenn showed in Europe he couldn't play on the big ice a decade ago. he was adequate in the NHL, but embarrassed when he had to skate.

Reactions: Menzinger

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I want powerplays intersected by the end of a period to extend the period to accommodate its full time. If it goes 45 seconds of extra time for that period, 45 seconds is removed from the following period.

Nothing burns me more then just getting a PP setup then the horn goes. The start of the next period you just get setup and then the PP ends.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I agree with those saying the bigger ice surfaces favour the faster skilled players. Normally it's a factor when picking players for the World Championships every spring. Brian Burke had mentioned a few months back he'd like to see a hybrid rink size the width being between European standards (100 feet wide) and North American sizes (85 feet wide). Of course the problem is widening the ice surfaces without losing seats.Even 5' wider (if physically possible to do) would help and possibly pushing the blue lines a foot further back would give the offensive players more room to do their thing.I don't think a slightly smaller neutral zone would be a problem. All I'm saying is try these things, mostly likely in the AHL to see if it makes much of a difference. Of course this is a moot point if the ice surfaces can't be widened.

Reactions: Menzinger and weems

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
no change on a penalty so tired short handed team to start the PK.

1 minute penalty for over the glass.

goalie out of net playing the puck treated like a defender.

no trapezoid.

break the plane/plain on offside.

cut back check illegal, if they don't have the puck you can't check them.

No shootouts.
I like most of those but not sure if you mean a goalie out playing the puck is fair game?...The reason I hope they lose the trapezoid is so the goalie can play the puck more so the defencemen aren't vulnerable to getting hammered on the forecheck. I think pressuring the goalies will be enough to get some turnovers and hence more scoring chances while protecting the defencemen a little...I just think the speed of the game today and no holding up that first forechecker any more has led to defencemen getting killed...

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The faster skilled guys imo have a lot more opportunity to blow past the slower more physical guys on bigger ice surfaces.

Agree to disagree i suppose

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
on the real side
Go back to the proper crease
Goalies are fair game outside that crease
No more stupid slash penalty for stick checking , it's not the players fault the other guy has a tissue paper shaft on his stick .
Call the cross checks and picks
Like society we have seldom needed new rules we just need proper and consistant enforcement of the existing rules.
Almost forgot , go back to the third man in rule and if you cause the fight you better not turtle or you get tossed +1 .

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
I want powerplays intersected by the end of a period to extend the period to accommodate its full time. If it goes 45 seconds of extra time for that period, 45 seconds is removed from the following period.

Nothing burns me more then just getting a PP setup then the horn goes. The start of the next period you just get setup and then the PP ends.
Back in the day you got a penelty you where off for the full 2 minutes.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
A minor adjustment that I've always thought would approve game flow is to make icing only if the player is behind his own blue line. If you're in the neutral zone it's not icing.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies

This is just a silly suggestion. What if there are multiple penalties? Just keep on extending the period?

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Sure. Why are we locked into 20 minute periods? Because its tradition?

Penalty at 18:30 so now the period goes another 30 seconds, then there is another penalty at 19:00 minutes so now the period goes another 60 seconds, then when we are into the extended period there is another penalty 30 seconds into the extended period so now it must continue again otherwise we're in the exact same scenario and on and on and on and on and on and on and on etc. etc. etc.

btw - what's wrong with 20 minute periods for whatever reason? We have the best sport in the world and so many people want to tinker and tinker and adjust and change. What's wrong with the way it is?

btw2 - I am an outside the box thinker, at the same time why change something that isn't a problem? I like to examine things and do not believe in the mind process of saying we should do things the same because "that's the way it's always been done". In the same breathe I don't think it usually makes sense to change things for the sake of making a change.

nsleaf

Oct 21, 2009
Add a specific group of off ice officials, just for diving.

upload_2020-4-27_13-2-11.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad