Just a thought...

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone but being bored I was trying to think of something sports related that people may want to comment on and provide input on. I've always , for whatever reason, come up with ideas that I 'think' would improve various sports. I doubt any of them are new concepts but here they are anyway. 1) Get rid of that damn trapezoid. Defencemen are too vulnerable to getting creamed on the forecheck now that interference is called so closely. Poor bastards only have a split second to do something with the puck before their faces are up against the glass. I believe this would cut down on injuries. The unwritten rule of not hitting goalies would protect them....hopefully. Also there would be more offense as goalies for the most part don't handle the puck well hence more turnovers. I'll briefly mention a few others and expand on them later. This is getting too long for one post already...2) Pushing an opponent offside...don't call the offside...3) Allow hand passes with some restrictions...4) Allow pucks that hit the netting and drop behind the goal line to stay in play. I just think hockey is better the more flow and less stoppages you have. Anyhoo this is just a few ideas. Feel free to add your own and if allowed bring it to other sports...

Reactions: Wafflewhipper

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
The trapezoid was really the Martin Brodeur rule to take away the huge advantage he gave the Devils' defensemen.

Just spitballing here:
How about going the opposite direction, remove the goalies right to touch the puck behind the goal line unless he's got some part of his body touching the crease. So goalies will be able to stop a shot around behind the goal but won't be able to stand back there like a 3rd defenseman. Hang in with me here... Call all interference even the type that only intentionally changes the path of the forechecker. At the same time institute heftier restrictions on the nature of the bodycheck. Yes, I'm going there. Any bodycheck deemed to be excessive beyond the goal of separating the opponent from the puck is illegal. In other words, the forechecking body check would no longer be about physically throttling the defensemen, it'll be about puck retrieval/turnover only.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't know if this will be of interest to anyone but being bored I was trying to think of something sports related that people may want to comment on and provide input on. I've always , for whatever reason, come up with ideas that I 'think' would improve various sports. I doubt any of them are new concepts but here they are anyway. 1) Get rid of that damn trapezoid. Defencemen are too vulnerable to getting creamed on the forecheck now that interference is called so closely. Poor bastards only have a split second to do something with the puck before their faces are up against the glass. I believe this would cut down on injuries. The unwritten rule of not hitting goalies would protect them....hopefully. Also there would be more offense as goalies for the most part don't handle the puck well hence more turnovers. I'll briefly mention a few others and expand on them later. This is getting too long for one post already...2) Pushing an opponent offside...don't call the offside...3) Allow hand passes with some restrictions...4) Allow pucks that hit the netting and drop behind the goal line to stay in play. I just think hockey is better the more flow and less stoppages you have. Anyhoo this is just a few ideas. Feel free to add your own and if allowed bring it to other sports...
No to hand passes. Everything else is awesome. Especially why shouldn’t the mesh be treated like glass. I like that one. Cause scrambles and chaos lol

Reactions: Northernguy10

freshwind

Mar 23, 2002
put the 2 line off-side pass back in … Robert Gordon Orr says so as well ….

CelticDruid

Oct 23, 2013
Penticton , BC
Make the goalie equipment smaller!

I have watched a few of th0se Classic games on Sportsnet and the goalie gear looks comparatively minuscule compared to today's equipment.

The goalies were a lot smaller too.

Back in the day when a 3.12 save average was respectable.:)

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
The trapezoid was really the Martin Brodeur rule to take away the huge advantage he gave the Devils' defensemen.

Just spitballing here:
How about going the opposite direction, remove the goalies right to touch the puck behind the goal line unless he's got some part of his body touching the crease. So goalies will be able to stop a shot around behind the goal but won't be able to stand back there like a 3rd defenseman. Hang in with me here... Call all interference even the type that only intentionally changes the path of the forechecker. At the same time institute heftier restrictions on the nature of the bodycheck. Yes, I'm going there. Any bodycheck deemed to be excessive beyond the goal of separating the opponent from the puck is illegal. In other words, the forechecking body check would no longer be about physically throttling the defensemen, it'll be about puck retrieval/turnover only.
Go watch house league hockey. It's cheap seats. There's also always a standout whose parents don't want to travel or unfortunately can't.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Hand passes are allowed in the defensive zone.

Pushing a player offside is too easy to be abused, and it's already covered under interference, although rarely called.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I would like to see the shootout scrapped altogether. But if they insist on keeping it (which of course they do), at least expand to 5 shooters per side.

Reactions: Al14

bikemike66

Jun 28, 2018
No complaints with the trapezoid...but the netting idea would quickly backfire. It would not be long until the preferred method of dumping the puck in would be high up into the netting to allow the fore-checker time to get there and put the defender at a disadvantage.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Make the goalie equipment smaller!

I have watched a few of th0se Classic games on Sportsnet and the goalie gear looks comparatively minuscule compared to today's equipment.

The goalies were a lot smaller too.

Back in the day when a 3.12 save average was respectable.:)
They have already shrunk the width of the leg pads and each goalie has a limit to leg pad length relative to their height. They also streamlined the pants and shoulder pads. You cant get the equipment much smaller without risking goalies safety.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
No to hand passes. Everything else is awesome. Especially why shouldn’t the mesh be treated like glass. I like that one. Cause scrambles and chaos lol
As I said what bugs me is anything that affects the flow of the game...The hand pass rule bugs me...To me as long as it goes from hand to stick and not off a players body into the net I'm fine with it....at the very least least allow any hand pass that originates in the defensive zone (as they do now) and extend it to anything starting in the neutral zone...and no grabbing and throwing the puck...has to be clearly "batted"...I just think it would add a little to the flow of the game and add a little more offense...

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
put the 2 line off-side pass back in … Robert Gordon Orr says so as well ….
I played most of my life with the 2 line pass and personally I prefer not to bring the red line off side pass back...The way teams have learned to clog up the neutral zone in the last 20 years or so I fear it would be plugged up even more...At least the no-red line rule opens up the neutral zone a little and at least backs up the defence men to their own blueline...With the red line back in effect I fear they'd stand up at the red line and you'd see more icings.

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
They have already shrunk the width of the leg pads and each goalie has a limit to leg pad length relative to their height. They also streamlined the pants and shoulder pads. You cant get the equipment much smaller without risking goalies safety.
I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't object to the nets being approximately 2" bigger all around...People say it would affect the integrity of the game and previous scoring stats throughout history..I disagree as the nets were sized with the goalie sizes and equipment sizes in mind at the time..As mentioned goalies today are much bigger as is the equipment so really the game isn't played to the same relative standard as it was say 30 years ago and before...They can experiment with the size of the nets until they get it at a fair size.That's what the AHL and other leagues are for, to try things like this out on.The height of basketball nets is the same thing. The players are much much taller today than when the game was invented...Sometimes tradition doesn't mesh with reality.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
No forward skating. Players can only skate backwards
No more sticks too. Replace puck with a socker ball. Kicking the ball with the heal of your skate is the only way to pass and score. ;)

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Using your stick to play the puck is now illegal but every player must carry one.

Kicking and Hand passes/shots only

Northernguy10

May 26, 2013
Timmins Ontario
Okay. Now it's the NFL's turn.:)...People say just leave sports alone, all is fine.I respect that thought but I've watched sports for over 6 decades and just find certain parts of some sports are unnecessarily boring... I'd get rid of the fair catch and use the CFL 5 yard rule, make the field 10 yards wider and the end zones 5 yards deeper...You see many times a team drive the ball down the field then stall in the red zone often because there's no room to move around in the end zone... Either put the kick off further back so the receiving team actually has to return it or get rid of it altogether and have the teams start on the 25 yard line.Nothing more boring than kickoff after kickoff going through the end zone and watching the kicking team jogging down the field for nothing...Oh and allow one player in motion parallel to the line of scrimmage, open up the game a little.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I agree- the nets should be much bigger, and to compensate, make the ice surface and the puck bigger too.

Since that would make the ice so much harder and more expensive to maintain, how about get rid of the ice? Then they would have to lose the skates, round off the puck so it rolls better, and maybe get rid of the sticks.

Without sticks and with a big, soft, round puck, maybe air-filled, teams could save a fortune by not needing all the protective equipment.

But I think we still have to restrict hand passes, unless, of course, you are Diego Maradona.

All Mod Cons

Sep 7, 2018
I couldn't name another sport that has the rules changed, both on and off the ice, as much as hockey. Forever fannying around with it

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Using your stick to play the puck is now illegal but every player must carry one.

Kicking and Hand passes/shots only
The stick is necessary to maintain social distancing. ;)

If I can slash you with my stick, you're too close.

Beaumaris

May 21, 2015
I never thought I'd say this but I wouldn't object to the nets being approximately 2" bigger all around...People say it would affect the integrity of the game and previous scoring stats throughout history..I disagree as the nets were sized with the goalie sizes and equipment sizes in mind at the time..As mentioned goalies today are much bigger as is the equipment so really the game isn't played to the same relative standard as it was say 30 years ago and before...They can experiment with the size of the nets until they get it at a fair size.That's what the AHL and other leagues are for, to try things like this out on.The height of basketball nets is the same thing. The players are much much taller today than when the game was invented...Sometimes tradition doesn't mesh with reality.
Exactly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad