Player Discussion Juraj Slafkovsky, the high offensive potential edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not judging them based on what previous regimes have done.

I'm basing it on the fact that management is still very much in "asset accumulation mode" and that Tanner Pearson/Sean Monahan could potentially be two valuable assets at the deadline, so they will need to play.

I have my doubts but i'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Maybe jaded a tad.

I'm not sure why that means Slaf wont play. Both of those guys are injury prone and Pearson is well suited to a bottom line role. Monahan will likely get ice-time, but not just because he's a potential deadline rental, but also that he can play higher in the line-up if he plays like he did last season when healthy.

He still has to earn ice-time, but I don't see this situation being analogous to previous situations. There's definitely room in the top-6/9 for him to play.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Can we agree that their junior leagues are more or less on par with the professional leagues and international competitions that Slafkovsky played in?

Unless you're trying to tell me that a trip to Moose Jaw on a Friday night is more meaningful than a gold medal game for your country, in front of the entire world's eyes at the Olympics?
That’s interesting; it really comes down to how you see development. I think it has more to do with giving time to a player to mature without having to bear the weight of a being an NHL pro player at such a young age.

It depends on philosophy really. Some want to see the player right away in the big league, others want to see the player having the time and opportunity to play in lower leagues and be the “it” player (lots of minutes, PP, WJC maybe, playoffs and such). Rarely do those things are available to an 18 year old in the NHL.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I'm not sure why that means Slaf wont play. Both of those guys are injury prone and Pearson is well suited to a bottom line role. Monahan will likely get ice-time, but not just because he's a potential deadline rental, but also that he can play higher in the line-up if he plays like he did last season when healthy.

He still has to earn ice-time, but I don't see this situation being analogous to previous situations. There's definitely room in the top-6/9 for him to play.
Because there's only so much icetime to go around...he's in direct competition with both players if we're basing it on how they've all lined up throughout camp and preseason so far.

Pearson & Monahan have both shifted between LW & RW throughout camp playing with both Suzuki & Dach, who are both firmly entrenched as top 6Cs ont his team.

You're right though, both Pearson & Monahan are injury prone so there's going to be opportunity there.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
I'm not judging them based on what previous regimes have done.

I'm basing it on the fact that management is still very much in "asset accumulation mode" and that Tanner Pearson/Sean Monahan could potentially be two valuable assets at the deadline, so they will need to play.

No kidding, they are good NHLers, especially Monahan.

Reactions: 417

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
this thread kind of reminds me of the KK threads.
Weren't we all excited at our future 1C after his 1st season and even happy to have him instead of Tkachuk?

Just before it derailed.

Hopefully the opposite happen with Slaf.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
That’s interesting; it really comes down to how you see development. I think it has more to do with giving time to a player to mature without having to bear the weight of a being an NHL pro player at such a young age.
Sure...but the idea that playing in the CHL (especially) provides more of an environment to mature than playing professionally in Europe, is a misnomer IMO.

But I do agree that bearing the weight of being an NHL pro player, is NOT for every 18 year old.
It depends on philosophy really. Some want to see the player right away in the big league, others want to see the player having the time and opportunity to play in lower leagues and be the “it” player (lots of minutes, PP, WJC maybe, playoffs and such). Rarely do those things are available to an 18 year old in the NHL.
Typically, or perhaps more, ideally...if you're an 18-19 year old, and your NHL team decides you're good enough to play in the NHL at training camp, than they SHOULD make those opportunities available, if not, then it's fair to wonder why that player is there in the first place.

Jack Hughes, for example, didn't have the production early...but the opportunity (i.e. ice time) was there.

The Habs have tended to do the opposite...graduate the player, but limit his opportunity.

Reactions: Gustave

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Suzuki, Caufield, Guhle, Xhekaj, Harris have a total of 8 AHL games between them.

And they're all pretty much considered cornerstone pieces of this organization (maybe less so for the latter 2).
Just pointing out...............that the guy going to the A would NOT be the end of the world.

No matter how we slice this animal, we all need to have some patience....the kid needs some confidence, according to his coach..............how he gets it, I could care less.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Just pointing out...............that the guy going to the A would NOT be the end of the world.

No matter how we slice this animal, we all need to have some patience....the kid needs some confidence, according to his coach..............how he gets it, I could care less.
I think it would have been well received had he started last season in the AHL.

I think it might have the KK/Caufield effect to send him now. Which is in no way a positive, especially if Slaf consider himself better than some NHLers.

Double edged sword.

Reactions: BLONG7 and 417

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Because there's only so much icetime to go around...he's in direct competition with both players if we're basing it on how they've all lined up throughout camp and preseason so far.

Pearson & Monahan have both shifted between LW & RW throughout camp playing with both Suzuki & Dach, who are both firmly entrenched as top 6Cs ont his team.

You're right though, both Pearson & Monahan are injury prone so there's going to be opportunity there.

And in pre-season (which means more than camp) they're looking for a fit for Slaf with either Dach or Newhook. I think MSL likes the Suzuki-Caufield duo (I don't, but I see the appeal) and Newhook-Anderson, but its pretty wide open after that.

I also don't think that Dach is firmly entrenched as a top 6 C. It feels like you've got Suzuki as 1C, Evans as 4C, and Dach and Newhook in the middle 6. I don't think it matters much if Slaf ends up with Dach and, say, Monahan or RHP on a line as opposed to Newhook and Anderson when it comes to ice-time.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
And in pre-season (which means more than camp) they're looking for a fit for Slaf with either Dach or Newhook. I think MSL likes the Suzuki-Caufield duo (I don't, but I see the appeal) and Newhook-Anderson, but its pretty wide open after that.

I also don't think that Dach is firmly entrenched as a top 6 C. It feels like you've got Suzuki as 1C, Evans as 4C, and Dach and Newhook in the middle 6. I don't think it matters much if Slaf ends up with Dach and, say, Monahan or RHP on a line as opposed to Newhook and Anderson when it comes to ice-time.
A lot of different options can/will be considered, i'm sure we're going to see Dach play C and W throughout the year, same with Monahan.

Ultimately though, it's up to Slafkovsky to make this discussion moot...go out and seize the opportunity you have playing back to back games in preseason.

Show the coach that he has no choice but to consider you a staple of the top 6...not necessarily by scoring goals and producing points, but by showing that the team is better with you in the top 6!

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I think it would have been well received had he started last season in the AHL.

I think it might have the KK/Caufield effect to send him now. Which is in no way a positive, especially if Slaf consider himself better than some NHLers.

Double edged sword.
Absolutely...............it's all on him, and his performance this pre season.......I think the kid is going to be good, but he has to make strides each year for us to believe, and some are already calling him a bust, so stay tuned..........
Personally, I think he will be a real gem.

Reactions: Jaynki

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
Absolutely...............it's all on him, and his performance this pre season.......I think the kid is going to be good, but he has to make strides each year for us to believe, and some are already calling him a bust, so stay tuned..........
Personally, I think he will be a real gem.
We need to see massive growth starting now.

Reactions: BLONG7

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Can we agree that their junior leagues are more or less on par with the professional leagues and international competitions that Slafkovsky played in?

Unless you're trying to tell me that a trip to Moose Jaw on a Friday night is more meaningful than a gold medal game for your country, in front of the entire world's eyes at the Olympics?

I mean yes they are but he stopped playint there at like 18 and a few weeks... Was that a serious question?

Naslundforever

43-67-110
Aug 21, 2015
Weren't we all excited at our future 1C after his 1st season and even happy to have him instead of Tkachuk?

Just before it derailed.

KK was built like a twig and skated like bambi, which he compensated for with high iq. Slaf has physical tools nhl vets can only dream of, but needs to find his game.

Probably an easier fix to hit the gym for 5 years than to catch up to nhl play, but he has a 5 year pass for me as well. I doubt very much he stifles, and am quite optimistic at the potential.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Just before it derailed.

I personally was saying the exact same thing Im saying right now.

And the sentiment was so positive after his end of season where Thompson played ahead of him. Kotkaniemi is exactly an example of what a lot of us are saying about Slaf.

Unless you believe he was never good, lol.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
KK was built like a twig and skated like bambi, which he compensated for with high iq. Slaf has physical tools nhl vets can only dream of, but needs to find his game.

Probably an easier fix to hit the gym for 5 years than to catch up to nhl play, but he has a 5 year pass for me as well. I doubt very much he stifles, and am quite optimistic at the potential.
KK was misevaluated and what really sting in the end is that we skipped Tkachuk, Hughes for him but he would have been a great pick at 6-7 and he would have been a terrific player to have now with our young core.

But he is nothing like Slaf and does not have the same kind of upside.

Its nice to be patient for 5 years but personally i consider Slafkovsky an elite prospect and to elevate to his status of a 1st overall pick (or even 2-3rd overall) he has to have an impact, or at least noticeable growth, starting now.

Reactions: Naslundforever

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I mean yes they are but he stopped playint there at like 18 and a few weeks... Was that a serious question?
And what does this have to do with the discussion I was having?

Given the discussion I was having with that poster was about comparing CHL experience pre-draft vs pre-draft euro pro league/international competition?

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
It's not about our needs (fans).
Indeed.

But i meant that from a pure number and statistical point of view. Top picks who starts at 18YO we can't draw any conclusion from their 1st season.

But after their 2nd season, the data is way way more concluant. This is why i say we need to see massive growth.

Its not the end if he struggle again but doubt, concern and uncertainty will then be backed by data and jurisprudence. Not the case right now.

I personally was saying the exact same thing Im saying right now.

And the sentiment was so positive after his end of season where Thompson played ahead of him. Kotkaniemi is exactly an example of what a lot of us are saying about Slaf.

Unless you believe he was never good, lol.

Well now i am convinced Slaf is a bust. Mrbip said so and he predicted it for kk.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
And what does this have to do with the discussion I was having?

Given the discussion I was having with that poster was about comparing CHL experience pre-draft vs pre-draft euro pro league/international competition?
Im not sure you read the post you replied too properly then.

"But the point is did they jump in the NHL right away or not"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad