Confirmed with Link: (June 26th, 2018) Canucks re-sign D Derrick Pouliot to 1-year Deal ($1.1M AAV)

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
Pouliot is fine as a filler here. I doubt Juolevi takes a spot at camp but by midseason I expect him to be playing up here.

Edler and Delzotto will both be trade chips and I wouldn't be surprised if the Canucks burnt a year of Hughes even if he went back to Michigan for the year.

Injuries will come regularly again amongst this core.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
The only way I'm on board with this signing is if Green pairs Pouliot with Gudbranson in camp and leaves the pairing together for the entire season. No other way to make the deal work for me.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It's hopefully a depth signing. I think I'd rather have Biega in the lineup.

JumpierPegasus

Mar 3, 2011
Abbotsford, BC
So they didn't qualify him...to give him a bigger raise.
Arbitration would have likely given him 2 million based on points an his positive corsi, so thank f*** we didn't qualify him because we would be obligated to sign him to that

One year show me, but I think Pouliot is too soft without the puck and too timid with it to be of any effect in the NHL long term.

Reactions: tyhee

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
he's a cheap ufa signing. we have no depth. he has a little remaining upside. if hughes does not make the team then pouliot will be on the pp and might be on the first unit.

he is the least of our problems.

Actually, the fact that we're paying $12-13 million for Pouliot/Gudbranson/Gagner/Granlund/Nilsson is the *biggest* of our problems.

5 guys who are complete trash wasting almost 20% of the cap. This pile of players :

1) are wasting a huge amount of money that could have been spent on actual competent players.

2) completely suck and are one of the biggest reasons this has been the worst team in the NHL over the past 3 years.

3) are the biggest contributors to this team's identity as the slowest, softest team in the NHL.

4) are blocking off roster spots where we should be breaking in younger, better assets.

Pouliot is absolute garbage. He can't skate and can't play defense in this league and bled goals at an astonishing rate last year despite being fed the softest minutes imaginable. The guy is an average AHL player who is only in the NHL because Jim Benning can't evaluate defenders to save his life and because his junior coach is playing him over much better players. It's a joke.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Actually, the fact that we're paying $12-13 million for Pouliot/Gudbranson/Gagner/Granlund/Nilsson is the *biggest* of our problems.

5 guys who are complete trash wasting almost 20% of the cap. This pile of players :

1) are wasting a huge amount of money that could have been spent on actual competent players.

2) completely suck and are one of the biggest reasons this has been the worst team in the NHL over the past 3 years.

3) are the biggest contributors to this team's identity as the slowest, softest team in the NHL.

Pouliot is absolute garbage. He can't skate and can't play defense in this league and bled goals at an astonishing rate last year despite being fed the softest minutes imaginable. The guy is an average AHL player who is only in the NHL because Jim Benning can't evaluate defenders to save his life and because his junior coach is playing him over much better players. It's a joke.

All true.

But I'll say this - I'd take Pouliot every day of the week and twice on Tuesday over Gudbranson and his contract. Ditto for almost everyone else on that list...I guess you could say he's the cream of the crap.

dKs89

Oct 22, 2016
It doesn’t but they benning bros need a reason to praise the deal

I also don’t see how anyone sees anything in puliot at all. Take away his 4 game stretch where he got like 9 points and he’s a 60 game and 12 point dman.
I love the classic *take away X players stretch of good games to show they're flawed* argument. Turning a positive stretch of games into a flaw to be used for their narrative. This board never ceases to amaze me. Just like how it's a terrible thing to produce well on the PP lmao. Incredible.

This contract is a black mark on the franchise. They will never live down the day they gave a player with some upside offensively a one year, near minimum salary contract. Absolutely unbelievable.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Fine contract. 1 year show me contract with a $300k raise to avoid arbitration where we'd either have to overpay him or let him walk. If he can't improve this year, we easily cut bait.

Reactions: sting101

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
All true.

But I'll say this - I'd take Pouliot every day of the week and twice on Tuesday over Gudbranson and his contract. Ditto for almost everyone else on that list...I guess you could say he's the cream of the crap.

I'd take him over Gudbranson but to me he's the worst player on that list.

It just absolutely boggles my mind how, after the few years we've had, those 5 players who were the biggest liabilities on our roster are all back, and 3 of them have shiny new contracts with big raises. It's completely insane.

It's basically impossible to lose your job with Jim Benning as GM. No accountability whatsoever.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Fine contract. 1 year show me contract with a $300k raise to avoid arbitration where we'd either have to overpay him or let him walk. If he can't improve this year, we easily cut bait.

Being able to cut bait a year too late on a player proven to be terrible before the contract was ever signed is not a positive.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

4) are blocking off roster spots where we should be breaking in younger, better assets.

considering we are $20+ million under the cap right now, those combined salaries are not a problem, much less our biggest problem. the amount they are paid is literally not an impediment to anything this team wants to do or reasonably might want to do within the term of all the contracts you listed.

if you hate the players, good for you and go complain about it in the management thread. this is the pouliot thread. your thoughts about the backup goalie are not really relevant.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
considering we are $20 million under the cap right now, those combined salaries are not a problem, much less our biggest problem. the amount they are paid is literally not an impediment to anything this team wants to do or reasonably might want to do within the term of all the contracts you listed.

if you hate the players, good for you and go complain about it in the management thread. this is the pouliot thread. your thoughts about the backup goalie are not really relevant.

also, get a grip.

Where Pouliot sits in a group of completely awful group of players being brought back is completely relevant to the bigger picture of this signing. Either stick a sock in it or actually react to the points being made.

And yes, having 5 roster spots (fully 1/4 of the roster) and $13 million committed to completely crap liability players who do nothing but block off younger better players and the opportunity to improve is absolutely one of the biggest problems with this team.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
Being able to cut bait a year too late on a player proven to be terrible before the contract was ever signed is not a positive.
Come on. He's a stopgap who has a very very very small sliver of potential remaining. If he was a critical part of the defense core that they were sold on he'd have been signed for more than a year.

Sign him for a year to see if he develops at all and try to flip him as defensive depth at the deadline if he stagnates. If not, cut bait and Hughes / Woo / Brisebois / whoever else have an extra year to develop.

We're going to be a bad team this year. I'd rather weather the storm with Pouliot than sign some other free agent who'll likely want more than 1 year at $1.1. If Pouliot loses his spot to Hughes - waive him.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Where Pouliot sits in a group of completely awful group of players being brought back is completely relevant to the bigger picture of this signing. Either stick a sock in it or actually react to the points being made.

And yes, having 5 roster spots (fully 1/4 of the roster) and $13 million committed to completely crap liability players who do nothing but block off younger better players and the opportunity to improve is absolutely one of the biggest problems with this team.

my "reaction" to your points is take it to the management thread.

points like "pouliot sucks" and "we have too many players who suck and he's one of them" do not really require much of a "reaction". the fact you are not using block capitals to emphasize random words is some consolation to my eyeballs, so i do thank you for that.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Come on. He's a stopgap who has a very very very small sliver of potential remaining. If he was a critical part of the defense core that they were sold on he'd have been signed for more than a year.

Sign him for a year to see if he develops at all and try to flip him as defensive depth at the deadline if he stagnates. If not, cut bait and Hughes / Woo / Brisebois / whoever else have an extra year to develop.

We're going to be a bad team this year.

We just saw him play 75 games. He is a terrible, terrible hockey player. No different - and probably worse - than Larsen and Clendening.

Absolutely we're going to be a bad team next year. And that roster spot should be used on an asset that has a chance of providing future value, not one we already know is rubbish.

I'd much rather give an Ashton Sautner an extended look after what he showed at the end of last year than keep throwing good money after bad with a player like this. But Sautner now has no hope of making the team in the fall no matter how well he plays with 8 guys under contract in front of him not including Juolevi and Hughes.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I'd rather give Sautner a shot than bring back Pouliot. At least he's progressing as a player and may end up a third-pairing guy.

Reactions: cookiefest and MS

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
I love how we're going into next season with basically the exact same defense as last year. It takes someone special to think that no major changes were needed.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
my "reaction" to your points is take it to the management thread.

points like "pouliot sucks" and "we have too many players who suck and he's one of them" do not really require much of a "reaction". the fact you are not using block capitals to emphasize random words is some consolation to my eyeballs, so i do thank you for that.

What the hell is wrong with you?

You claimed that he was the least of our problems. I disagreed and gave a list of reasons why he and similar players were a major problem here, and made a comment about Pouliot's playing abilities. Nothing there was even remotely off topic.

If you don't like what I wrote, either respond to it with logic and facts or ignore it entirely. Don't whine, ignore the points being made, and then try to play moderator.

drax0s

Mar 18, 2014
Vancouver, BC.
I'd much rather give an Ashton Sautner an extended look after what he showed at the end of last year than keep throwing good money after bad with a player like this. But Sautner now has no hope of making the team in the fall no matter how well he plays with 8 guys under contract in front of him not including Juolevi and Hughes.
You missed my edit - I agree here, but I don't want to just gift a slot to Sautner or Chatfield. Let them duke it out in pre-season and see who deserves it. If Pouliot loses his spot in pre-season waive him and he's gone. The Canucks have actually been pretty decent about doing that in pre-season for the most part.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
I'd rather give Sautner a shot than bring back Pouliot. At least he's progressing as a player and may end up a third-pairing guy.

that's a fair comment. mceneny too. i think the logic is the team just lost two of its most gifted playmakers and offence will be at a premium so the chance pouliot might generate some is worth taking.

if pouliot stinks i'd be fine with waiving him to bring either of those guys in. i'd rather give them a shot than bring in a replacement level dman.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
What the hell is wrong with you?

You claimed that he was the least of our problems. I disagreed and gave a list of reasons why he and similar players were a major problem here, and made a comment about Pouliot's playing abilities. Nothing there was even remotely off topic.

If you don't like what I wrote, either respond to it with logic and facts or ignore it entirely. Don't whine, ignore the points being made, and then try to play moderator.

i did respond to what you wrote. go back and read it again. i disagreed with the idea that pouliot was part a quadrumvirate of bad salaries collectively holding this team back.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad