Confirmed with Link: (June 26th, 2018) Canucks re-sign D Derrick Pouliot to 1-year Deal ($1.1M AAV)

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Where are we going to put Tryamkin :sarcasm:

Meh. We have plenty of cap space to suffer the 200k we can't get off the cap if we waive him and he isn't claimed. I think he would get claimed anyway.

I would like to see him give it one more try, he showed some decent flashes sometimes this year. But as the 6-7 dman, not given a wack of ice time just to see if we can bleed a good season out of him.

I in the Eye

Drop a ball it falls
Dec 14, 2002
Double down on an unnecessary deal. Worthwhile gamble as a potential waiver pick-up... but a waste of a 4th round pick.

From what I can tell, the Potato would have drafted Justin Almeida with the 4th rounder given in the Pouliot trade. It will be interesting to see if this trade ends up "no big deal" or not, given the progress of Almeida and the other players who the Canucks had the opportunity to draft.

Given the draft, Almeida would have fit within the Canucks theme of the day:

Position: C
Shoots: Left
Height: 5-9
Weight: 158

Last year: 43 goals, 98 points, 72 games, Moose Jaw (WHL)

Scouting report: Almeida is known for his speed, creativity and NHL-caliber shot. Naturally, at his size, he's prone to being pushed around by more physical opponents. Almeida was in his second year of draft eligibility after he was not chosen last year. The Penguins have favored over-age prospects in recent years, drafting a league-high nine of them in the previous four drafts. NHL Central Scouting rated him the 88th-best North American skater in the draft.

Allvin says: “He's such a competitive player. For a smaller guy, he finds the hard areas and he gets it done. He produces. The way he played this year just shows he has another level to go to.”

Reactions: cookiefest

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
There’s no excuse for signing/resigning bad players. Having a team good enough that you have to expose someone good should be the goal.
Well, you're also not wrong
Im not trying to justify or defend this signing or anything it's just not something that is worth any of my brain and sleeps

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
I doubt he gets claim if he's on waiver to day
He makes a lot for a bottom pair D who had a terrible year last season

Lmao how can he make alot for a bottom pair at 1.1 mil when the league minimum is 980k.

The fact that the Canucks know what the comparables are which is why they didnt want to go to arb with him is reasoning.to believe he could have been awarded close to 1.5 mil.

Tryforthekingdom

Nov 15, 2015
Ryan Biech did an excellent breakdown of the fact that Pouliot had arbitration rights and could easily have commanded a sum larger than this in arbitration. Not qualifying him and signing him for less was a better move than qualifying him - but bringing him back in any sense is the part that's going to be questioned.
I suppose that works if you actually place a fair amount of value in keeping him. If Pouliot's camp choose to go to arbitration the Canucks should've just walked away from any significant raise.

Kryten

slightly regarded
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Kootenays
That's what I don't understand.

Something has got to give. Even if we don't pencil Juolevi in the lineup something has to give.
Why though? If OJ doesnt make it and Hughes doesnt sign/make it we still have 8D like we always do. They can rotate Biega, Hutton, Pouliot, Stecher being sat and thats assuming all 8 are healthy at the same time

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
he's a cheap ufa signing. we have no depth. he has a little remaining upside. if hughes does not make the team then pouliot will be on the pp and might be on the first unit.

he is the least of our problems.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Isn't the expansion draft going to be June 2020, or even a later year?
Not sure how this contract ties into it
It doesn’t but they benning bros need a reason to praise the deal

I also don’t see how anyone sees anything in puliot at all. Take away his 4 game stretch where he got like 9 points and he’s a 60 game and 12 point dman.

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Something has to give.. the log jam makes it near impossible for prospects like Hughes, Juolevi, sautner etc. to be given a fair shot..

Edler Gudbranson
Juolevi Tanev
MDZ Stecher
Pouliot Biega
Hutton

Hutton has to be moved out, I’d be happy with a 5th rounder for him, we need to open up roster spots.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Something has to give.. the log jam makes it near impossible for prospects like Hughes, Juolevi, sautner etc. to be given a fair shot..

Edler Gudbranson
Juolevi Tanev
MDZ Stecher
Pouliot Biega
Hutton

Hutton has to be moved out, I’d be happy with a 5th rounder for him, we need to open up roster spots.

So we "have" to move out Hutton because we decided to keep a crappy defenseman in Pouliot? I'd be perfectly fine waiving Pouliot to be honest, if Juolevi beats him out for a roster spot. If he can't beat him out then we need to be looking to trade Juolevi before his value falls off a cliff.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

Edler Gudbranson
Juolevi Tanev
MDZ Stecher
Pouliot Biega
Hutton

None of the highlighted will be with this team to start the year:

Hughes should go back to Michigan for another year.

Juolevi will still be recovering from his injury and he likely isn't good enough anyway.

Sautner is strictly a call-up when needed.

Defense was a tire fire last year and will be so again next year. Marky, Neilson, Demko must be cringing.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
Like it. It's only a year, and the price is right. At the beginning of the year when these 6th and 7th defence men are getting their roster spots everyone always seems confused why when we have a rookie fighting for a spot, getting selective amnesia that injuries are a thing that happens to our D-corps every single season.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
This management teams inability to evaluate pro defenders is turning into a major problem. they inherited a plethora of top 4 defenders and pissed all but two of them away for nothing and have spent countless assets trying to recoup some bur have failed every single time.

How some people are okay with these guys building our team is comical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad