Blue Jays Discussion: June 2017 Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Dont ask me why but i was looking up Vernon Wells stats and still pretty amazed at what AA was able to accomplish moving his deal. A lot had to do with Wells' great 2010 season and the Angels losing out on Carl Crawford.. Plus Moreno pushing Dipoto to make a splash.

According to BRef Jays got 28.7 WAR from Wells for the cost of 68M (26M in signing bonuses). Angels got 0.1 WAR from Wells for a cost of 76.2M and the Yankees got -0.2 WAR for the cost of 13M. Absolutely crazy. I just find it more impressive that guys like Adrian Beltre can keep producing at their age.

Some may bring up that they gave Napoli away but regardless they were able to clear 89M over 4 years. That was and is huge.

Also worth noting that Vernon Well is still only 38 years old and Bautista is 36 in comparison.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I fully expect Alomar to finish on top, but for me the Top 5 is, in whatever order, Halladay, Stieb, Bautista, Delgado, and Fernandez. Then there's a pretty big drop-off before a bunch of other guys enter the conversation.

Yup, fully agree.

I have absolutely no idea how Bautista is 8th, would've figured recency bias would help if anything.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Yup, fully agree.

I have absolutely no idea how Bautista is 8th, would've figured recency bias would help if anything.

Nah, he argues with umps and wanted to get paid a lot of money. Get him outta here!

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I fully expect Alomar to finish on top, but for me the Top 5 is, in whatever order, Halladay, Stieb, Bautista, Delgado, and Fernandez. Then there's a pretty big drop-off before a bunch of other guys enter the conversation.

I had Halladay, Stieb, Bautista, Delgado, and Alomar in my top 5.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
My top 10:

1) Halladay
2) Bautista
3) Stieb
4) Delgado
5) Fernandez
6) Key
7) Alomar
8) Barfield
9) Wells
10) Moseby

The biggest challenge, as always, is figuring out where Joe Carter goes.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
My top 10:

1) Halladay
2) Bautista
3) Stieb
4) Delgado
5) Fernandez
6) Key
7) Alomar
8) Barfield
9) Wells
10) Moseby

Yeah, Carter's tough. I guess it all kind of depends how much value you put on individual moments/memories over actual, all-around on-field performance.

Looking at the current consensus rankings, Carter and a bunch of guys who played for just a year or two during the World Series years are getting overrated, while a lot of the '80s guys who left before the championships are being underrated. I mean... Morris and Cone ahead of Clancy? Molitor ahead of Barfield? Winfield on the list?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
My top 10:

1) Halladay
2) Bautista
3) Stieb
4) Delgado
5) Fernandez
6) Key
7) Alomar
8) Barfield
9) Wells
10) Moseby

Bautista over Delgado is tough. I think that Delgado was the better hitter. Bautista was the better defender at a more premium position. I would probably have Delgado over Bautista on my list.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
My Top 10:

1. Roy Halladay
2. Jose Bautista
3. Dave Stieb
4. Carlos Delgado
5. Tony Fernandez
6. Roberto Alomar
7. Jimmy Key
8. Jesse Barfield
9. Vernon Wells
10. Josh Donaldson*

*I had to include Donaldson in there somewhere. If we were going by peak rather than performance/longevity (which I presume many are) than Donaldson belongs on there no doubt. I would also include Clemens in there if that was the case. Despite starting less than 70 games as a Blue Jay, he is without a doubt the most dominant pitcher to wear a Blue Jays jersey (all of his issues aside)

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Bautista over Delgado is tough. I think that Delgado was the better hitter. Bautista was the better defender at a more premium position. I would probably have Delgado over Bautista on my list.

You could easily make an argument either way on that one. Bautista with a 144 wRC+ vs. Delgado's 139. Bautista with 35.9 fWAR vs. Delgado's 34.7 (although Bautista did it in 1200 fewer plate appearances).

It's basically a toss-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad