GDT: June 10th Media Availability (Anselmi hired/Nicholson to Chairman)

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Hopefully this is actually helpful. It could also be the same made up positions, trying to hide crappy employees, and trick the fans/sth thing that we have seen over and over again. It certainly doesn't seem like it this time, but it didn't seem like it when chia was hired either. Or Nicholson.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
All joking aside, this overall probably is good news for paying customers. Katz is obviously feeling the heat with the excitement around his team waning. He brings in a guy that actually understands marketing sports entertainment, rather than leaving everything to Bobby Burgers (that burger is still his greatest achievement since he joined the org 4 years ago. Bet it wasn't even his idea either, lol).

So, happy for paying customers that maybe there will be some better effort put in to entertain you, even when the team is crapping the bed.

sad thing is that it probably took the threat of decrease revenue and season ticket holder/fan outrage and being COMPLETELY fed up for this current change and apparent metamorphosis to occur. otherwise the obc/old regime/katz might have been happy to make very minor superficial changes and the cycle would continue. though, it's early (and it appears like real change is happening).... we'll have to wait and see if there IS real change in the following year plus...

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
What happens to the burger? Most importantly.

And will there be a Chairman Combo?

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
sad thing is that it probably took the threat of decrease revenue and season ticket holder/fan outrage and being COMPLETELY fed up for this current change and apparent metamorphosis to occur. otherwise the obc/old regime/katz might have been happy to make very minor superficial changes and the cycle would continue. though, it's early (and it appears like real change is happening).... we'll have to wait and see if there IS real change in the following year plus...
I really think this is about Nicholson identifying an easy transition if he gets the IIHF job.

Katz is in no shape to be looking for a replacement.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
Sorry but you couldn't be more wrong.

The re-organization continues and the reality is that Lowe has been shuffled out of any real power on a day to day basis. That was a done deal the day that Holland entered.

I don't mind that Lowe's staying on as an ambassador but it's probably quite expensive compared to dressing a civilian up as a hockey puck. Well, its Katz's money to do with as he pleases but the shift to some sort of responsibility for performance in the organization continues. Its a process that probably takes 2-3 years before the re-org is complete.

Messrules11

6 Cups, elbows up.
Nov 23, 2018
This is more a move for the Ice District. Did we really want Bob Nicholson anywhere near the downtown core? Nope.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Seems like a good move on the business side and overall “culture” overhaul. Minimal, if any, effect on the on-ice product (maybe indirectly by shuffling Lowe and Burgers out further and so Burgers isn’t as overwhelmed as he “seems to be”). However, the in-game entertainment and atmosphere of the arena needs a kick start and the Ice District and other ideas could use some further polish. That being said, Anselmi’s quote is perfect:

Tom Anselmi said:
The hotdog never tastes as good if you don’t win.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As a side note, I know its been discussed before, but.. as much as the Booby Nicks burger wasn’t excellent in year 1.. it is INSANE how much crappier it was when I had it again last year. All the decent beers were removed from the building, the food quality dropped off, options were scarce... OKAY, maybe this happens with a bankrupt franchise in year 8 after a new arena... but our wealthy pilfering overlords gave us prison quality Aramark and choice reduction in like year 2.

It wasn’t even that good to begin with, but they just gave no F’s after year 1. And they stopped paying PR firms to talk about how excellent the parking and bathroom availability was too. AND remember when they were giving that whole song and dance about how “HIGH TECH” it was going to be, and how the app was going to be super cool?

What a con job. I am amazed that Edmontonians have been as patient as they have been considering how much came out of their pockets and how crap everything has been from top to bottom.. crap concerts, crap amenities, crap on ice product, crap game presentation, even crappier ice quality than Rexall! Wow!

So obviously, yea, promote Bobby Burgers to chairman. Give him an extra 500,000 bonus too. Good. Good.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
As a side note, I know its been discussed before, but.. as much as the Booby Nicks burger wasn’t excellent in year 1.. it is INSANE how much crappier it was when I had it again last year. All the decent beers were removed from the building, the food quality dropped off, options were scarce... OKAY, maybe this happens with a bankrupt franchise in year 8 after a new arena... but our wealthy pilfering overlords gave us prison quality Aramark and choice reduction in like year 2.

It wasn’t even that good to begin with, but they just gave no F’s after year 1. And they stopped paying PR firms to talk about how excellent the parking and bathroom availability was too. AND remember when they were giving that whole song and dance about how “HIGH TECH” it was going to be, and how the app was going to be super cool?

What a con job. I am amazed that Edmontonians have been as patient as they have been considering how much came out of their pockets and how crap everything has been from top to bottom.. crap concerts, crap amenities, crap on ice product, crap game presentation, even crappier ice quality than Rexall! Wow!

So obviously, yea, promote Bobby Burgers to chairman. Give him an extra 500,000 bonus too. Good. Good.

Burgers was promoted to Chairman for the Oilers, and removed from the business side. I think your having trouble understanding that part of it. Anselmi now takes over to improve all the things your bitching about.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
Today I discovered how fun it is to say Anselmi in a super angry Arnold Schwarzenegger voice, especially when posing a question. You’re welcome

(Arny voice) Am I going to be enjoying my hog dog this year?............................... Anselmi.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Heading to Rogers tonight for the Uriah Heep & Judas Priest concert.

Will report back immediately if there are any changes to the Bobby Nicks burger...maybe I’ll order one for the first time! :D

They are changing it to the Anselmi Alfredo Pizza. Seriously I doubt they are making changes to the menu on day 2 of Anselmi.
I was supposed to go to the concert tonight but have to get up super early tomorrow so I gave the tickets to my neighbour. Post how the show was!

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Niten Ichi Ryu

Jul 1, 2018
Gotta give props to Nicholson. He recognized his model was a failure, so he hired the right GM, and now replaced himself with a more experienced business savvy COO with a long history of success.
New President, GM, coach and also changes to the roster. If it was still Daryl Katz making these decisions, I'd bet we'd still have Chia as our GM and Hitchcock as coach, continuing the tire fire throughout McDavid's prime. Bob's intentions has always been to do what's best for the Oilers, and he's a man of action. Two thumbs up Bobby Burgs

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Burgers was promoted to Chairman for the Oilers, and removed from the business side. I think your having trouble understanding that part of it. Anselmi now takes over to improve all the things your *****ing about.

I understand just fine, it just seems like a promotion in the wake of this nonsense is humorous. I have been behind the Holland hiring all the way, and I’ll get behind Anselmi just on the basis of “how could it possibly be worse”. So I can give some credit for the past month of decision making, but being chairman of OEG is still a big move —and technically it is a ranking position, is it not? Maybe he is out of daily operations on both hockey and business sides, but he is still where the buck stops. Remember, he let Chiarelli rot way past his best before date. It’s still a role with input, oversight, and importance regarding things that he has proven to lack understanding.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I understand just fine, it just seems like a promotion in the wake of this nonsense is humorous. I have been behind the Holland hiring all the way, and I’ll get behind Anselmi just on the basis of “how could it possibly be worse”. So I can give some credit for the past month of decision making, but being chairman of OEG is still a big move —and technically it is a ranking position, is it not? Maybe he is out of daily operations on both hockey and business sides, but he is still where the buck stops. Remember, he let Chiarelli rot way past his best before date. It’s still a role with input, oversight, and importance regarding things that he has proven to lack understanding.

He’s not Chairman of OEG. He is Chairman of the Oilers. That is a different.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
No Bobby Nicks burger on the menu.

Looked like a limited selection due to the fact it wasn’t an oilers game.

Was a decent show...lots of scraps during and after the concert.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad