GDT: June 10th Media Availability (Anselmi hired/Nicholson to Chairman)

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yes, but fear not. The press release specifically says "Edmonton Oilers President of Hockey Operations and General Manager Ken Holland will report to Nicholson and will continue to have full autonomy over all aspects of Edmonton Oilers hockey operations."

Holland has full autonomy. I repeat, like the Oilers org over and over, he has full autonomy!

Full autonomy.

Sincerely,
-Full Autonomy

Hello Mr. Autonomy...or can I just call you Full?

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Well based on body language and verbal skills, Tom seems much more competent than Bob. I actually like some of his comments about the staff, respecting others, etc. I think its going to lead to a better environment for the team and the fans.

Actually thought Bob looked a bit more comfortable when the press conference started but as time went on, he just comes across as incompetent. Hopefully with this "promotion" he will have less to do overall and will retire in a year or two.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
If Nicholson is still Holland’s boss I don’t see how any of this effects anything to do with the on ice product...nothing to see here, moving along...

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
If Nicholson is still Holland’s boss I don’t see how any of this effects anything to do with the on ice product...nothing to see here, moving along...
Next move in Lowe being gone?

From what I'm seeing on the Oil site Aneslmi is now in charge of everything to do with OEG, so is just a way for them to quietly push Lowe away?

Reactions: Moreaupheus

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I like what Tom had to say and he has an impressive track record. He nailed it when he mentioned that they need to be exceptional at communicating, making sure they listen to the customer and being open and honest with the fans. He seems to understand that they need to deliver and rebuild that trust with the fans.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Next move in Lowe being gone?

From what I'm seeing on the Oil site Aneslmi is now in charge of everything to do with OEG, so is just a way for them to quietly push Lowe away?

Didn’t they say in the PC that Lowe and Gretzky were staying?

Regardless, other than the vindictive part of me that wants Lowe to walk the plank, I’ve drank enough of the Kool-Aid to believe Lowe doesn’t make any Hockey Ops decisions.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
This is a fantastic and important hire and while it has little to do with the on ice product it takes managing non hockey related items off Holland’s plate so he can focus on the on ice product. They had this same setup in Detroit.

Anselmi built MLSE into what it is today. If he can do half of what he did in Toronto it sets up the organization nicely.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Bob looks like he has a 2 second attention span.

giphy.gif

Fmrnuckfan95

Dec 16, 2018
Edmonton
So what does he actually do, no hockey related decisions right and just the business side of things? Does he get a say in player personnel or no? So many names lol.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
So what does he actually do, no hockey related decisions right and just the business side of things? Does he get a say in player personnel or no? So many names lol.

Tom Anselmi? Sounds like hes going to be busy with all the business decisions. He will look after game experience, concert experiences, staff experiences etc for all the business operations. I doubt he will have much say over any hockey operations or player personnel. I think he will be quite busy. I just got the general jist that Kevin Lowe will be doing less than what he did before, hes just an ambassador now I guess.

Nicholson? Sounds like hes talks to Holland and reports to Katz. Will touch base with Anselmi. I just got the general jist that he will doing less than what he did before, which I think is a good thing.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hope Katz is okay.

What am I missing? How does this release relate to Katz health. I can't link to the twitter citations and so can't read them as I am not signed up for twitter.

Can anybody post what the connection is?

Nicholson is Chairman now? How many positions can this org invent up top.

Nicholson and Lowe should be flat out fired.

Jesus Take the Wheel

Jul 9, 2015
Edmonton
Seems like a smart move, splitting one job thats too much to handle into two will hopefully start increasing the quality of the work done in this org from the top down

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad